Russ Heath's 1st ever art - Capt Aero #14 'Hammerhead Hawley'
1 1

19 posts in this topic

321 posts

Just ran across my Rockford copy of Captain Aero #14 in which the 'Hammerhead Hawley' story is Russ Heath's 1st ever comic art. Since the book is very tough to come by and most collectors have probably never seen this before, thought I would post the scans. BTW, I saw in Heath's wiki-profile that this story was pencilled by Quinlan, don't know if that's true or not, as the story is fully signed by Heath and I always understood that it was pencilled and inked by Heath, so if someone know's for sure, i'd like to know. I'd hope Russ could remember either way. Here they are:

54490-heath-captaero14pg1rd.jpg.efe1cbd4eb6447691025b12171720c14.jpg

54491-heath-captaero14pg2rd.jpg.2638ac459b70852a4c09011868e98d1d.jpg

54492-heath-captaero14pg3rd.jpg.e9910772acacd4de1c686f7dc7015068.jpg

54493-heath-captaero14pg4rd.jpg.73eddde89f7832a57cfd75d145b2a1cb.jpg

54494-heath-captaero14pg5rd.jpg.76b73eb1c628e3bd92ca07b0ca8db8cc.jpg

54495-heath-captaero14pg6rd.jpg.28d73658c2ddb62e1c1bf093970540ff.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53,923 posts

Very cool. Thanks for posting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,434 posts
Very cool. Thanks for posting.

 

ditto (thumbs u

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,262 posts

Very cool, love Heath stuff. Shows its age though "hello whitey" yikes!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,042 posts

I thought Russ' first art was in Famous Funnies 30.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,042 posts

Never mind, I think I was confusing when he told me his first comic book was an early Famous Funnies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,389 posts

At least they drew the black sailor like a real human being. That was very unusual for the time...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
342 posts
On 3/14/2008 at 9:37 AM, Monster's Coll said:

Just ran across my Rockford copy of Captain Aero #14 in which the 'Hammerhead Hawley' story is Russ Heath's 1st ever comic art. Since the book is very tough to come by and most collectors have probably never seen this before, thought I would post the scans. BTW, I saw in Heath's wiki-profile that this story was pencilled by Quinlan, don't know if that's true or not, as the story is fully signed by Heath and I always understood that it was pencilled and inked by Heath, so if someone know's for sure, i'd like to know. I'd hope Russ could remember either way. Here they are:

 

54490-heath-captaero14pg1rd.jpg.efe1cbd4eb6447691025b12171720c14.jpg

54491-heath-captaero14pg2rd.jpg.2638ac459b70852a4c09011868e98d1d.jpg

54492-heath-captaero14pg3rd.jpg.e9910772acacd4de1c686f7dc7015068.jpg

54493-heath-captaero14pg4rd.jpg.73eddde89f7832a57cfd75d145b2a1cb.jpg

54494-heath-captaero14pg5rd.jpg.76b73eb1c628e3bd92ca07b0ca8db8cc.jpg

54495-heath-captaero14pg6rd.jpg.28d73658c2ddb62e1c1bf093970540ff.jpg

 

0703171509a.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,892 posts

Captain Aero 14 is a tough book (I don't have one).

GCD credits the story to Heath, it's signed by him, but I guess it's possible that Quinlan aided the new guy with the pencils.

In any event, cool story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55,075 posts

Pretty decent art right off the bat, even if it only hints at the genius to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,904 posts
2 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Captain Aero 14 is a tough book (I don't have one).

GCD credits the story to Heath, it's signed by him, but I guess it's possible that Quinlan aided the new guy with the pencils.

In any event, cool story.

I see some Quinlan in there too.   And yeah pretty decent for a first outing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,626 posts

Just for the record, there is a Russ Heath-signed "Hammerhead Hawley" story in Captain Aero #13.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,892 posts
32 minutes ago, kazoo said:

Just for the record, there is a Russ Heath-signed "Hammerhead Hawley" story in Captain Aero #13.

You're correct, good catch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,670 posts
On 7/3/2017 at 10:35 PM, lobrac said:

 

0703171509a.jpg

The Man! What a master! It's amazing to see how far his style developed. I wonder if he knows how much his work is appreciated?

Thanks for posting this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,646 posts
Just now, BOOT said:

I wonder if he knows how much his work is appreciated?

He's made it to San Diego Con most years since 1995 through the auspices of the DC War Comics Collectors, San Diego Comicon and the tireless efforts of comick1.  He's met lots of fans, many of whom are artists in and outside of the comics industry so it's safe to say he has some idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,676 posts

I forget the issue of Roy Thomas' Alter Ego but it had a great feature on Heath.  AE and CBM for that matter always carried high quality information.   

Thx for posting the story. 

Edited by telerites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,334 posts

Don't really see anything that screams Quinlan in the artwork, though it's possible. I do see Heath's  distinct water ripples in a number of panels though, even if his later mastery isn't immediately evident otherwise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53,923 posts

The top two panels on this page look decidedly not like Heath. Not sure who drew those two panels but it sure doesn't like like Russ' work, even at this early stage in his career

54495-heath-captaero14pg6rd.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,334 posts
2 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

The top two panels on this page look decidedly not like Heath. Not sure who drew those two panels but it sure doesn't like like Russ' work, even at this early stage in his career

54495-heath-captaero14pg6rd.jpg

Agreed, they look like fill in work by someone else

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1