• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WOW!!!! Kick'en-it "SAL" Buscema Hulk-style......

24 posts in this topic

I saw that auction, and thought without a doubt I had the winning bid. Somehow I think the final price is a bit out of whack given the amount of Hulk actually doing something in these panels...

That, or else my future asking prices for my pages from this book just quadrupled! :makepoint:

Dan

I am also shocked, I would have guessed no more than $400. Shows what know, unless the guy on Comicartfan with all the Hulks was going after it and someone made him pay?

Are you thinking of Eelco from the Netherlands who is a big Sal Buscema Hulk fan and has a lot of Buscema and Byrne art ?

I thought he would be all over it as well, but his max bid was only $150.00 (shrug)

I was shocked as well with this final price about 3X the max amount I thought it would go for.

Now I'm a Sal-Hulk lover as well, but this is an insane price. It's more than what I paid for my splash page, granted my splash is 2 years younger, but still...

Well, I put in the $436 bid thinking that would cover all comers. I have some pages from this book, which is one of my favorites from my youth.

I also thought the bidding was a little funny, to be honest. I wondered if someone was punishing a shill or testing out max prices to push the final price up. Who knows. The winning bidder deals primarily in coins, not art, so it's probably an emotionally-fueled "crazy" bid.

Oh well!

Dan

Hi Dan; don't love that page, but don't know if $436 would have covered it under even 'normal' circs. But, surely $536 should have! Lots of panels and really only one good Hulk panel. That price just doesn't seem right and I am a pretty optimistic collector when it comes to prices. Maybe the seller has several to sell and wants to set a 'precendent'. Or, maybe the buyer has the page before or after and really wanted a two pager?? But, since there was an underbidder inching up the bid it's hard to say. But, who knows, maybe Sal B. medium good Hulk pages have doubled+ overnight!! ;)DF

Hi Dan!

You may be right that I may not have won it at $436, since Sal's Hulk pages are slowly climbing the ladder, but I've also been the best market for these pages recently (to my knowledge), having bought 9 of them in the past six months without going higher than that mark.

But I think I know the seller, who has lots of great Hulk material, and don't believe he's behind anything funny. But the bidding does seem odd to me between those two dudes...

I have the #203 pages that follow this one, but not the one before it, so maybe that was the draw. But $1176? As I said above, seems rather fantastic!

Dan

ps Dan -- another check is going out in a week or so.

And while we are answering that question...what does that mean for a page like this? (shrug)

buscemas_hulk278p20.jpg

These auctions are getting weirder and weirder...what's going on ?

Hulk movie mania ? (shrug)

meanwhile as this thread is turning into a Sal Hulk appreciation thread, here are mine :cool:

hulk236.jpg

PICT1087.jpg

As the winning bidder for two other pages sold on the same day (219 p10, 220 p140 - for less than $160 total!) I can only attribute the huge overbidding on Hulk movie mania! I know the seller of all these pieces and I don't believe that he would ever participate in any shenanigans!

Stephen

My favorite Buscema page

GalleryPiece.asp?Page=1&Order=Date&Piece