• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,395 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, lhcomics said:

I visited the naval aviation museum in Pensacola today and this picture was taken in the 1940s exhibit.

Cap 1, Sensation 1 and Sup 14. All repos but still cool to see. 20170906_152322.thumb.jpg.2a811c57c375c8c20ff7504d4e324fea.jpg

wow that's below the belt

Edited by woowoo

Hey All,

I was watching a vintage 1943 short film called Troop Train and when they showed the soldiers on the train, there were a couple of them reading comics. The first one was reading a Tarzan story and the second one a Disney comic. I just did a couple of screen shots and am curious if anyone here can id these two books.. I bet that these two books are of issues owned by a few people here.

Troop Train 01.jpg

Troop Train 02.jpg

Wow, I knew you all would have the answers before I sat down for lunch - coolness.

Anyways I had watched this on a FB site called "The Vintage News" and they are out of Alexandria VA if you want to check them out. I didn't dig any deeper into the video on their FB page but I would guess it came from Youtube.

5 minutes ago, woowoo said:
2 hours ago, Scrooge said:

The WDCS seems to be # 26 (v. 3 # 2) from November 1942 -

https://www.comics.org/issue/2534/cover/4/

WDCS 26.jpg

don't think that's the one it is a little off as it looks like Donald has his real hat on below and there is a space from hat to lettering(shrug)

Surprisingly, IDing the WDCS was harder than the Sparkler. Have a look at the other WCDCS issues around those dates and none other fit the bill (pun intended). Specifically, none would have DD's hat at the angle and that was tripped me for so long until I realized it was the football helmet. The way the cover is bend distorts the image enough that it was a much tougher ID than I thought it'd be.

1 hour ago, jpepx78 said:

I think the Tarzan book is Sparkler 16 based on the "-ber" date in the corner.

Good catch. I confused the handlebar with the 10¢ price circle. Should have checked the upper right. (worship) Plus, now both books are dated November 1942 which makes more sense. They grabbed books for the shoot.

Edited by Scrooge

5 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

Surprisingly, IDing the WDCS was harder than the Sparkler. Have a look at the other WCDCS issues around those dates and none other fit the bill (pun intended). Specifically, none would have DD's hat at the angle and that was tripped me for so long until I realized it was the football helmet. The way the cover is bend distorts the image enough that it was a much tougher ID than I thought it'd be.

Ya I looked at the movie on you tube and its hard to tell.

19 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Heh...old people with old eyes...:baiting: I could clearly see which one's they were with my reading glasses on...:kidaround:

Funny-lol-minion-joke.pngI have one good eye :taptaptap: 

bf511846decc2d36555276cd578a3991.jpg

Edited by woowoo

On 8/8/2017 at 12:25 AM, jpepx78 said:

Nice photo find, catman76!

I found the source of the original picture in the Chicago Transit Authority Archives on Flckr. The photo captures everyday life around July 1946 in front of the 58th "L" station on the South Side Main Line in Chicago that is 3 blocks south of Garfield on today's Green Line. That station had a rare island platform instead of a side platform.
If you notice the signs on the right, this newsstand offered other services such as magazine subscriptions, utility bill payments, notary services and issued city & state licenses.

nsh5nkVI

In a closeup of the comic rack, there is a key Timely- All-Winners 19 & Superman 42 that were identified. Some of the other books I was able to identify were Crime Does Not Pay 47, Calling All Kids 4, Calling All Boys 6, Captain Aero 26, Airboy 31, Super Rabbit 8, Buzzy 9, Polly Pigtails 7, Daredevil 39, More Fun 114, Ha Ha 33, Archie 22 & Movie Tunes 3.

bxjpnrEP

This is another full service Chicago newsstand also on 58th Street from about February or March 1946. You could get magazine subscriptions, easter cards, marriage license duplicates, birth or death certificates or get your taxes done. It’s interesting that the comics were on the top shelves out of reach from kids. Some of the comics I could identify are: Action 95, Flash 71, Boy Commandos 14, Modern 49, Batman 34, Shadow 61, Real Fact 2, All Funny 11, Super Duck 7 & Detective 110.

gy8PtoE5

Fascinating.  I would guess that providers of professional services to the African-American neighborhoods on the south side of Chicago might have been relatively scarce in those days, leaving an opening for newsstand owners to fill.