• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,395 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Today's NY Times had an interesting article showcasing a new online archive of NYC photos from 1940 taken for tax purposes. Here is the link to the photo archive:

NYC 1940 Photos

I bet if someone had the patience and the mind they might find some old newstand photos buried in there.

Here is one 

http://nycma.lunaimaging.com/luna/servlet/s/q4y17p

http://nycma.lunaimaging.com/luna/servlet/s/8i7nbm

21 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

That actually is "in the wild" as the show was shot on the streets of NYC.  I recall that scene from the Naked City DVD boxed set.  Burgess Meredith is in this shot, but it's no Hollywood set.  That was a real newsstand filmed during a chase scene in the show! (thumbsu

I have the DVD and they are bright. I must be real old hm I was buying Fantasy 15's for 300 mid grade and 750 mint and I bought over 100 of them from 1977 to 1981 when I was doing all the local shows at 40.00 a table :cry:  before I started that 10 year wagon ride :makepoint:

46 minutes ago, Bat34 said:

Thanks for posting those. I was curious what issue of WDCS that was so I did a quick Photoshop image manipulation and then a look at GCD and I was able to figure it out it was issue 96. The photo is from 1948; later than the tax photos.

WDCS1.jpg

WDCS2.jpg

I also just took a look at Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics - the newstand link under August 1948. He's pretty accurate as most of the books shown on the stand appear in that listing.

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

3 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Thanks for posting those. I was curious what issue of WDCS that was so I did a quick Photoshop image manipulation and then a look at GCD and I was able to figure it out it was issue 96. The photo is from 1948; later than the tax photos.

WDCS1.jpg

WDCS2.jpg

I also just took a look at Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics - the newstand link under August 1948. He's pretty accurate as most of the books shown on the stand appear in that listing.

Cool!

13 hours ago, woowoo said:

:headbang: here are some more books you can try to find the #'s

newsstand-34 Detective 6 more-fun-23.jpg

Boy little to identify there! One interesting note is there are lots of More Funs on the rack; I thought those were rare!

Hey I just noticed all these books are upside down!

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

24 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Boy little to identify there! One interesting note is there are lots of More Funs on the rack; I thought those were rare!

I turned the picture cause they had the comics upside down. Here is a close up can you see the new adventure and the Detective 6

newsstand-34 Detective 6 new adventure 18.jpg

Yeah, very weird photo. In addition to the comics, there are some killer pulps as well. And, that upside down peanut machine would be worth a fortune today.

18 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Yeah, very weird photo. In addition to the comics, there are some killer pulps as well. And, that upside down peanut machine would be worth a fortune today.

newsstand-34 Detective 6 more-fun-23....jpg

This is the photo I just changed it so you can see the comics

573967558_newsstand-34Detective6more-fun-23.jpg.fda9feeb635de7aa7c97ba64ba181fd1.jpg

Edited by woowoo

The pic is from Aug 1937 They were not rare than (thumbsu

51 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

How much you think ? Would you keep it if you had 1 ?

6 minutes ago, woowoo said:

newsstand-34 Detective 6 more-fun-23....jpg

1169213556_butterhiestpeanut.jpg.a81059d164a45f2beab56ee6475401bc.jpg

Edited by woowoo

1 hour ago, comicdonna said:

I wonder why the books are hung upside down?  

Perhaps even back then there were finicky collectors that would rather have an indent,blemish from however they were hung on the bottom of the book?

I think likely it just made the titles easier to identify displayed that way.

PS :hi:

(to everyone.So nice to log in and see activity in a thread I enjoy so much)

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Imagine if it had a Planters Mr Peanut figure on it?

(Merry Christmas Bob)

7 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Perhaps even back then there were finicky collectors that would rather have an indent,blemish from however they were hung on the bottom of the book?

I think likely it just made the titles easier to identify displayed that way.

PS :hi:

(to everyone.So nice to log in and see activity in a thread I enjoy so much)

They must be clipped in as there are multiple copies that aren't falling down. Mile Highs these were not!!