• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,392 posts in this topic

On 1/15/2019 at 5:34 PM, telerites said:

Dang it, now where did I put the key to my time machine:cry:

Imagine the look on the face of the cashier when I come up and slap down on the counter the whole entire stack of 30 something copies each of the Captain America, Daring and Marvel Mysteries.   Might add to the shock when I hand the attendant a current dollar bill to pay for it all (keep the .10c tip wink).

Edited by path4play

2 hours ago, path4play said:

Imagine the look on the face of the cashier when I come up and slap down on the counter the whole entire stack of 30 something copies each of the Captain America, Daring and Marvel Mysteries.   Might add to the shock when I hand the attendant a current dollar bill to pay for it all (keep the .10c tip wink).

Well just in case people didn't notice the photo location, if you were really there, you and your family would be locked up in an internment camp for a couple more years. :(

Wonderful stacks of comics though. I believe one kid in this pic was also seen in that other Tule Lake camp newsstand photo. It was in one of my posts on Japanese internment & comics.

Edited by jpepx78

10 minutes ago, jpepx78 said:

Well just in case people didn't notice the photo location, if you were really there, you and your family would be locked up in an internment camp for a couple more years. :(

Wonderful stacks of comics though. I believe one kid in this pic was also seen in that other Tule Lake camp newsstand photo. It was in one of my posts on Japanese internment & comics.

I noticed.

Classic photo of comics centered in a depressing part of history...:sick:

Mixed feelings when I looked at it.

On 5/30/2019 at 9:21 PM, jpepx78 said:

Well, at least those kids appeared to have some fun and enjoyment from the comics....even if it was only a brief escape from reality. 

6 hours ago, N e r V said:

I really enjoy seeing all these pictures you’ve taken over the years. Which comics did you pick up the day of the top photo??? :devil:

All   Everything    That's how I roll :takeit:All

20 hours ago, woowoo said:

newsstand-29 Action 80.jpg

I love comics but I gotta say those GIs have their priorities all wrong.  Probably the only female to make an appearance on that ship and they're slobbering over funny books :screwy:

At least that guy in the background looks like he may thinking about more than comics...

I saw them years ago but my great uncle had some photos with Rick Durell in them. I think he and my great uncle crossed paths at comics hunting in the 1960’s although my great uncle was collecting comics long before Durell ever did.

Not sure who in the family has those photos today though.

On 5/31/2019 at 12:21 AM, jpepx78 said:

I was actually referencing the " Readmore newsstand in Evansville Indiana was taken around July 1945" pic earlier back on page 86. 

But your point is well taken.