• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,395 posts in this topic

On 9/25/2019 at 6:14 PM, Arkadin said:

I'm guessing it's Memory Lane?

Yes it is, I remember being there in the late70’s. At that time the inventory was cool but as I remember nothing keys although unless you asked. Silver snail in the lake 70’s had some decent material. I did purchase my Amazing Spider-Man #129 Im thinking at least a 9.0 or higher for a dollar. 

A few of you seem to be afraid of reading your old comics in fear of causing damage to them. I dare anyone to read their comics in the water like these kids.
The first kid is floating and reading Little Lulu 71 in Steeplechase Park at Coney Island in New York on July 24 1955.

EC comic sighting!
The second kid has no fear in reading Haunt of Fear 8 in a lake in Humboldt Park in Chicago in August 1951. Comics are meant to be handled and read. :grin:
“Only thing we have to fear is fear itself” - Franklin D Roosevelt

steeplechase pk coney island 7-24-55.jpg

humboldt park chicago 8-51.jpg

21 minutes ago, jpepx78 said:

A few of you seem to be afraid of reading your old comics in fear of causing damage to them. I dare anyone to read their comics in the water like these kids.
The first kid is floating and reading Little Lulu 71 in Steeplechase Park at Coney Island in New York on July 24 1955.

EC comic sighting!
The second kid has no fear in reading Haunt of Fear 8 in a lake in Humboldt Park in Chicago in August 1951. Comics are meant to be handled and read. :grin:

bold post Jeff! :grin:

On 10/30/2019 at 8:14 PM, lhcomics said:

Was at Getty museum in Los Angeles couple weeks ago.

This print is from Union Square Manhattan 1936.

No comics but lots of Pulps.

20191017_122510.thumb.jpg.4ba312e4940f941014e1710be078c590.jpg

1936; the middle of the depression. Look at the haggard expression on that guy in the foreground. No work? No food? Sold out of Weird Tales?

13 minutes ago, jpepx78 said:

Cleveland Ohio 1939

In my never-ending search for historically interesting photos, I came across this great 80 year old newsstand photo online. Although this photo scanned from an old fanzine is blurry, there is enough detail to pick out many of the comics & magazines. This photo is of a newsstand in Cleveland Ohio located on the corner of East 105th and Euclid avenues from the week of December 18th 1939 and that date is based on the December 18 1939 issue of Time magazine with president Herbert Hoover on the cover (3rd row, right side).
CATVs1Ec_o.jpg
tQF1RJd6_o.jpg

Ever wonder what a newsstand would look like with a major first issue?
This photo has the first newsstand appearance of a major character Captain Marvel in Whiz 2. Whiz 2 was the first entry in the comic book business for Fawcett Publications. What is also fascinating is the appearance of 2 advertising placards promoting Whiz 2 with the cover and the words “Just Out” on the counter. Would that placard influence your decision to buy Whiz 2?

These are the comics I see in the middle rack:
2nd row: Ace 34, Champion 3, Marvel Mystery 3, Adventure 46, Superman 3, Whiz 2, More Fun 51, Feature 28, Smash 6
bottom row: All-American 11, Pep 1, Amazing Man 9, Flash 2, Fantastic 3

These are the other comics that I believe are on the bottom row but not sure: Keen Detective Funnies 17, Silver Streak 2, Wonderworld 9
wC9UAtE2_o.jpg ELHTFteh_o.jpg gVDeBtTN_o.jpg 477Tt32B_o.jpg nbQoYwcG_o.jpg GBzU0vQe_o.jpg X8p9RJXv_o.jpg sfSreTit_o.jpg EHqGsUT9_o.jpg yDQXRatG_o.jpg EcI8Kxj4_o.jpg JngL4h0q_o.jpg uqpuda1h_o.jpg DTaiAgkL_o.jpg s18VruJW_o.jpg nqesdx9D_o.jpg PQ3QCELZ_o.jpg

When I showed this picture to Primetime, he was able to quickly spot the Fantastic 3, Superman 3 & Marvel Mystery books. Can you recognize the other books?

What is also interesting is the location of this newsstand is one block away from the building that once housed Joe Schuster’s art studio at 10609 Euclid Avenue. Marc Taylor Nobleman, author of “Boys of Steel: The Creators of Superman”, posted an old photo of that building on Euclid Avenue. So it is highly possible that either Joe Schuster or Jerry Siegel could have walked by this newsstand.
mD7uqdEg_o.jpg

:x very nice Jeff. I guess all the Tec 35s were sold out at this particulate newsstand. If this was the week of 12-18-39, then Marvel Mystery 4s would have been delivered in a few days...

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mikes/features/newsstand.php?publisher=all&type=calendar&month=12&year=1939&sort=alpha

Edited by Primetime

On 10/25/2019 at 1:22 AM, jpepx78 said:

EC comic sighting!

Now we know what caused the need for the current day descriptor "Extensive water damage".   lol  

Edited by pemart1966

On 12/27/2019 at 11:10 AM, jpepx78 said:

In the distant past there were no answering machines...

Hey guys! Anyone here on the boards get a phone call from Charlie? He says there are a bunch of new comics at the drugstore that you might be interested in. There is Feature 46, Action 38, Thrilling 18, The Funnies 56 and couple of new ones called Military and All Winners. There are lots of books left but looks like Military and All Winners are popular since there are only a few issues left.
All the books will probably be gone by the time you see this. :grin:

The release dates for the comics are Action 38 May 22nd, All Winners 1 May 20th, Feature 46 May 23rd, Funnies 56 April 30th, Military 1 May 2nd, Thrilling 18 May 20th so the date of this photo is between May 23 & 29 1941 because Feature 46 was on newsstands May 23rd and the next issue of Funnies #57 would be out on May 29th. The comics fit in the Fawcett magazine rack pretty well.

phonebooth 5-41.jpg

Cool photo! Never seen that Fawcett rack. I wonder what the small plaques on each slot say?

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Cool photo! Never seen that Fawcett rack. I wonder what the small plaques on each slot say?

The first row are "Motion Picture" and something "...Experience", the second row are "Romantic Story" and "Movie Story" and the third row are something "...Book" and "Hollywood"