• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,390 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Electricmastro said:

Kids reading "Red" Rabbit Comics #20 (April 1951, Dearfield Publishing Co.). Art by Etta Parks.

tDqTDJJ.jpg

qaE03L8.jpg

Source: https://library.osu.edu/site/cartoons/2016/07/26/found-in-the-collection-etta-hulme/

Age and attire wise, I would have fit right in!  Cuffed jeans and Ked's, remember them well!

2 hours ago, ablue said:

Sub mariner #1 top center

and photo of Bats in vault

Screenshot_20200726-143511.jpg

Quite the multi-lingual newspaper offering.  I think I see Spanish, English, Hebrew?, Italian?

I assume the English headline is talking about the Yugoslavian coup that put King Peter II in power.

Since the above photo is a New York City newsstand, it would not be unusual to see multilingual papers in a city with many immigrants.

You are correct in that headline is about the Yugoslavian coup in 1941.

This NYC newsstand photo from around July 1941 has papers in Polish, Hebrew, Spanish, Russian, Italian, Hungarian, French and German which reflects the diversity of the population.

Check out the comics at the bottom. By zooming in, I can see True Comics 4, Exciting 11, Jackpot 1 and possibly Amazing Man 23?

nyc stand 7-41.jpg

Edited by jpepx78

16 minutes ago, MattHawes said:

A few years ago I found this thread and saw all the awesome vintage photos of comic book newsstands, displays, and readers and fans. Thanks to everyone who has shared the great many photos already.

Recently, I started "Googling" old vintage photos and such and rediscovered the thread. I happened to notice a very familiar photo, as it is one I shared myself elsewhere, that originated from my city. You see, I participate in a Facebook group made up of local comic book fans in my area, and one of my fellow group members, and a friend I've known for decades, shared the 1945 scan of the photograph of the Evansville, Indiana's Readmore book store's comics and magazine display. This photo comes courtesy of Kevin Loge, whose family owned the bookstore during that period. I shared the photo over on the John Byrne website, Byrnerobotics around three years ago. Here is a link to that thread:

ByrneRobotics: Bookstore Comic Book Display

My pal on Facebook had shared a high res photo, which I uploaded to my Flickr albums, since the Byrne board has size restrictions that would make it difficult to discern most of the books on display in the photo. Several of the site's members and I took on the challenge of trying to identify what books were visible, and I started to add color versions of the covers which I used Photoshop to manipulate the images to fill the spots where that title was placed in the photo. You can see all the comics, pulps, and other magazines we were able to identify. We even got some pegged on the very slimmest of visual clues. It's kind of like trying to figure out a puzzle in some instances. Things stalled when it became too difficult for those of us on the site to discern what title was what in the remaining unidentified comics, etc.

It must be serendipity of a sort that when I checked back in this thread, someone here had posted about the Readmore photo! I say that because before I was even aware of that, I was thinking of creating a thread here about that photo to see if any of you could help complete the "puzzle." How cool that it was already being discussed. So... if any of you are game, I would appreciate it if you could help finish this task with me, as much as we can complete it.

If you're game, try and see if you can figure out any unidentified comic, pulp, magazine, or any periodical pictured in the photo. If you don't mind, after doing that, could you post a color scan of the cover(s) in question? I will then take the scan and add it to the photo to "colorize" it, so to speak, as I have done with what has been found so far.

To help, here is a link to the last update of the "colorized" photo, at the full resolution I have available:

Readmore Book Store Display with color scans added.

Below is that same photo:

comics-1945-readmore-evansville-005.thumb.jpg.aecf8adca9fb68408c3e5a95de59dcee.jpg

As you can see, me and the other guys on the Byrne boards were even able to get some of the mostly hidden from view books.

I don't know if it's possible to find out every single publication pictured, but it would be cool to get at least all the comics and pulps finished.

The titles appear to have cover dates between June and August, 1945, though it's possible some may be earlier, or up to the very beginning of September. When searching, you don't need to look any further than September cover dates for 1945.

Here is an album that has the scans of the covers that have already been identified:

Cover scans for identified titles!

Thanks to anyone who feels like playing along!

Any 99% of them got thrown out at some point 

3 hours ago, MattHawes said:

A few years ago I found this thread and saw all the awesome vintage photos of comic book newsstands, displays, and readers and fans. Thanks to everyone who has shared the great many photos already.

Recently, I started "Googling" old vintage photos and such and rediscovered the thread. I happened to notice a very familiar photo, as it is one I shared myself elsewhere, that originated from my city. You see, I participate in a Facebook group made up of local comic book fans in my area, and one of my fellow group members, and a friend I've known for decades, shared the 1945 scan of the photograph of the Evansville, Indiana's Readmore book store's comics and magazine display. This photo comes courtesy of Kevin Loge, whose family owned the bookstore during that period. I shared the photo over on the John Byrne website, Byrnerobotics around three years ago. Here is a link to that thread:

ByrneRobotics: Bookstore Comic Book Display

My pal on Facebook had shared a high res photo, which I uploaded to my Flickr albums, since the Byrne board has size restrictions that would make it difficult to discern most of the books on display in the photo. Several of the site's members and I took on the challenge of trying to identify what books were visible, and I started to add color versions of the covers which I used Photoshop to manipulate the images to fill the spots where that title was placed in the photo. You can see all the comics, pulps, and other magazines we were able to identify. We even got some pegged on the very slimmest of visual clues. It's kind of like trying to figure out a puzzle in some instances. Things stalled when it became too difficult for those of us on the site to discern what title was what in the remaining unidentified comics, etc.

It must be serendipity of a sort that when I checked back in this thread, someone here had posted about the Readmore photo! I say that because before I was even aware of that, I was thinking of creating a thread here about that photo to see if any of you could help complete the "puzzle." How cool that it was already being discussed. So... if any of you are game, I would appreciate it if you could help finish this task with me, as much as we can complete it.

If you're game, try and see if you can figure out any unidentified comic, pulp, magazine, or any periodical pictured in the photo. If you don't mind, after doing that, could you post a color scan of the cover(s) in question? I will then take the scan and add it to the photo to "colorize" it, so to speak, as I have done with what has been found so far.

To help, here is a link to the last update of the "colorized" photo, at the full resolution I have available:

Readmore Book Store Display with color scans added.

Below is that same photo:

comics-1945-readmore-evansville-005.thumb.jpg.aecf8adca9fb68408c3e5a95de59dcee.jpg

As you can see, me and the other guys on the Byrne boards were even able to get some of the mostly hidden from view books.

I don't know if it's possible to find out every single publication pictured, but it would be cool to get at least all the comics and pulps finished.

The titles appear to have cover dates between June and August, 1945, though it's possible some may be earlier, or up to the very beginning of September. When searching, you don't need to look any further than September cover dates for 1945.

Here is an album that has the scans of the covers that have already been identified:

Cover scans for identified titles!

Edited to note: The album linked above includes a cover to the 1948 and 1949 "Astrology Forecast" magazines. Of course, neither of these would be the publication pictured in the actual photo. That would be for the year 1945. I had included those pics in my save scans since the cover design appears to be very much the same except for the year (and possibly 1945's edition is colored differently). I was not able to locate 1945's edition when I last searched. Anyway, I thought I'd point that out for anyone who looked at the album and saw that and wondered why it was included.

Wow, interesting to see the quite obscure Witty Comics on there:

AhxRDgt.png

Scicl4D.jpg

49 minutes ago, MattHawes said:

Electricmastro: " Wow, interesting to see the quite obscure Witty Comics on there:"

And somewhat ironically, there appears to be more copies of it than the other titles!

I don’t see Cisco Kid Comics, Crown Comics, and Lucky Comics mentioned often either. Book of All-Comics also stuck out to me for being these big comics sold for 50 cents back in the day.

20 hours ago, MattHawes said:

How about this one for the issue to the left of the Front Page Detective Issue, Real Detective - Fall 1945 - text spacing on cover looks correct

Real detective Fall 1945.jpg

then on the shelf below and further to the left - Popular Songs Of Latin America

Latin america.jpg

Edited by David Buck

2 hours ago, David Buck said:

New Detective Magazine - September 1945 - below the Railroad pulp

New Detective.jpg

Thanks, David. This one I already have, but the "Real Detective" and "Popular Songs of Latin America" are new to me!

Here is the picture of what I already have (the color titles on the scan), not counting what you guys have found:

The Readmore book display with titles found in color.

I will add what you guys found here once I have seen how many more pop up in the next few days, so I can add a batch at once.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped, or will be helping with this endeavor.

1 hour ago, MattHawes said:

Here is the picture of what I already have (the color titles on the scan)

FWIW, the Wink is identified (it is in the folder with individual color covers) but it is not yet in the main photo yet. I IDed it yesterday only to find that you already had it. Not sure if others are IDed and not in the main colorized photo.

Edited by Scrooge