• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,395 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

FWIW, the Wink is identified (it is in the folder with individual color covers) but it is not yet in the main photo yet. I IDed it yesterday only to find that you already had it. Not sure if others are IDed and not in the main colorized photo.

D'Oh! I must have overlooked adding it back when I got the pic. Thanks for alerting me about it! Thank you, as well, for the "Enjoy Yourself" image!

19 hours ago, MattHawes said:

I will add what you guys found here once I have seen how many more pop up in the next few days, so I can add a batch at once.

on the bottom flat tier - to the left of the wooden display with the crown on it  - US Camera Magazine June 1945

US Camera Magazine 1945.jpg

then I believe  to the left of that is - American Photography - July 1945

American Photography July 1945.jpg

Edited by David Buck

comics-1945-readmore-evansville-006-8-17-2020.thumb.jpg.adcfc6452ab2cc790ac22e98014942ba.jpg

Great finds, guys! Here's the updated photo with the new added additions you all have located so far.

Here is a link to the LARGE VERSION on Flickr.

I did not include the "Enjoy Yourself" #1 (1944). It is definitely the right series, but does not appear to be the correct issue. There are slight variations. When matching color to black and white photography, some colors appear pretty dark (like red), but black is still black unless a light is reflected off the surface. There is a part of the cover that is black in the 1944 issue, but appears a lighter color in the Readmore photo. But the thing that convinced me it wasn't the same issue is what appears to be the price and issue number in the Readmore pic is in light, possibly white text, while it is black in the 1944 issue posted here. I saved the photo of the 1944 issue, but I am holding off adding it to the Readmore pic until I can further confirm things. Regardless, I thank Scrooge for locating that picture in any event as it helps us figure out some more details.

It's really cool that you guys are also helping knock out some of the titles that are partially hidden or more distant in the photo. I was driving myself crazy a year or more ago trying to figure out those comics titles in the back on each shelf, where only a tiny sliver of a cover appears. Thanks to some online sites, like Mike's Amazing World, I was able to make out just enough to ID some of those comics. I wish a similar site for periodicals in general existed. If you guys are using or know of any particular sites to help locate and identify comics and magazines, please share the links.

The past week I have been working on another project, as well, but I want to see what titles I can locate, too. I stalled out a year ago, but hopefully some of the missing titles have turned up on eBay or some site since then.

26 minutes ago, MattHawes said:

I wish a similar site for periodicals in general existed. If you guys are using or know of any particular sites to help locate and identify comics and magazines, please share the links.

So far I have been making a guess at the text on the cover and going from there, this latest one is courtesy of my comic shop listings and identified by the image rather than the text - they have a lot of pulps and magazines in general. filter the search to the approximate months - lead me to this - which I believe is two books to the left of the Eyeful magazine mentioned above, I haven't searched beyond this title yet 

Beauty Parade July 1945.jpg

Thanks, David!

I went back and looked at the photo in Photoshop to add it, and I couldn't find "Eyefull" for a minute. That's because I did add it earlier, so I was looking for the cover to be in color, but I must have accidentally deleted the layer before saving! Grrr! Thanks to your addition, I was made aware of my error. When I post another update, after hopefully adding more images, it will be there.

Edited by MattHawes

“Canton committee on obscene literature had been conducting a drive against "crime type" comic books and , in an unusual setup, erected a booth at the Stark County Fair where ten comic books were worth one hard bound volume. Robinson Crusoe was the most popular. Here, Richard Bracken, 17, (L), Richard White, 14, and Jim Asford, 13, (R), are trading in their crime tales to Loraine Blanchard. All come from Canton.” - https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/canton-committee-on-obscene-literature-had-been-conducting-news-photo/515549962

The left comic is Crime Does Not Pay #134 (May, 1954), while the right comic is most likely Justice Traps the Guilty #33 (December, 1951):

b1ym8fr.jpg

1 hour ago, MattHawes said:

I wish a similar site for periodicals in general existed.

Most the ones I IDed were from http://philsp.com/lists/a_magazines.html - That page has magazines and pulps listing combined

Navigate from there to the periodical you need. Then click on the right on Issue Checklist for the gallery of covers by date.

For example for the Eyeful specific page - http://philsp.com/mags/eyeful.html

I agree that the Enjoy Yourself is likely the 1945 issue but I simply couldn't turn up a photo of it online.

Edited by Scrooge

1 minute ago, Scrooge said:

Use PhilSP again to find this one - 2 to the left of Ace-High on the bottom shelf.

double_action_western_194507.jpg

I thought the left hand edge of the picture was a horse in the pixelated version!

Here;s another one courtesy of MCS and they had the only image online so it is watermarked - the overlapping stack to the left of Breezy Tales is Complete Love - July 1945

COMPLETE LOVE jULY 1945.jpg

29 minutes ago, David Buck said:

Here;s another one courtesy of MCS and they had the only image online so it is watermarked - the overlapping stack to the left of Breezy Tales is Complete Love - July 1945

Thanks for finding that one. I had been looking for a while. Could find most of the year, just not that month. I swear I even looked at MCS too!

1 hour ago, David Buck said:

I thought the left hand edge of the picture was a horse in the pixelated version!

David,

A watermark like this is fine, and won't even show when the image is shrunken and distorted to fill the space. I remember trying to find this one and several of the other romance and western pulps a year ago, and came up short. Again, thanks to you guys for the awesome assistance!

I am adding the images as they pop up today. :-)