• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,392 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Scrooge said:

And I just solved where the Leading might actually be! Check for the Leading Western as the one behind the Thrilling Western. The hat and the guy on the horse to its right is a match -

I think that's right!

1 hour ago, Scrooge said:

Yes, the leaping figure seems to be a better match (thumbsu

Here is a list of other Western pulps with photos @ philsp.com that have not been located on the shelves. Try to have a look and see if I missed where they might be.

Popular Western - July or Sept.

Popular Western Sept - to the right of Lariat

both guns visible and the angle of the W up to the 10c box

Popular Western Sept.jpg

11 minutes ago, David Buck said:

oth guns visible and the angle of the W up to the 10c box

Yes. I see that now. Also the change of texture in the yellow on bottom left is actually visible in the photo from horizontal strokes to a plain field. Couldn't match them last night.

2 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Any idea what those giant magazines are on the upper shelf past the pulp section?

By the Atlas? One has an American flag on it, and I think the word "united states" is on the cover, but I may be wrong about that.

Sad thing for a Google search is writing "United States" or "America" 1945 and not getting a deluge of WWII stuff to sort through. Eep! Still, that is one I have especially been trying to figure out for some time now.

8 minutes ago, MattHawes said:

By the Atlas? One has an American flag on it, and I think the word "united states" is on the cover, but I may be wrong about that.

Sad thing for a Google search is writing "United States" or "America" 1945 and not getting a deluge of WWII stuff to sort through. Eep! Still, that is one I have especially been trying to figure out for some time now.

Yes, that is going to be a tough search.

So far you guys have helped to find more than 30 title! Very nice!

It's both fun and frustrating trying to fit the color versions into the original photo. It really is like a puzzle, but each cover is going to have varying degrees of twists and bends and such that make it impossible to perfectly place the color pic atop the black and white counterpart. I am also limited at how many times (two, btw) I can warp an image after shrinking it down already, before the pixels turn to mush. LOL!

I really appreciate all the assistance. We've honestly gotten further than I thought. I know it's not possible to get all those publications ID'ed, as some on the very far right are so washed out there are no details to go on, and those back row comics and magazines are really difficult to make out. Still, it's great seeing what we can fill in.

Speaking of the titles in the back row, another frustrating one, not because I can't ID it, but because the cover isn't apparently available online, is "Love Fiction." Just like the "Love Book" in the front, it's just a matter of finding the image somewhere since we know the title. Sigh.

On 8/20/2020 at 4:06 AM, MattHawes said:

id-titles-003.thumb.jpg.6e1f4fa55a525a51477d5be7ffd85cdf.jpg

Have a look at Jungle Comics # 67 - July 1945 - for the one on the right. I can convince myself I see the main figure of the man at shoulder level and the circle from the gong right above center and the shadow to the right of the gong has the same shape as the black spot we see to the right … You be the judge -

0.jpg

On 8/20/2020 at 3:13 AM, MattHawes said:

The next pics are in the detective and adventure pulps area...

id-titles-005.thumb.jpg.a8971b0a078b53b846f3c0227273abd0.jpg

Here's a tough one! See the center graphic above? The magazine to the far left in that photo could be "Detective Novel" from August 1945. There is very little to go on, and it is in a dark corner. What do you guys think?

169873726_detectivenovelaug1945-small.jpg.117e5a576b735833512d8a14f11e3a66.jpg

14 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

Have a look at Jungle Comics # 67 - July 1945 - for the one on the right. I can convince myself I see the main figure of the man at shoulder level and the circle from the gong right above center and the shadow to the right of the gong has the same shape as the black spot we see to the right … You be the judge -

I'll try and see what it looks like, but the right side of the cover doesn't seem to match, and the logo would be more visible, I would think.

29 minutes ago, MattHawes said:

The "Jungle Comics" cover didn't really seem to fit the spot in question.

(thumbsu I wanted to run it by you. I knew it would be stretch since it would have been the only Fiction House comics. No other FH comics is on display so having one tucked back there was odd in the first place.

On 8/24/2020 at 1:19 AM, MattHawes said:

another scan

to the right of Wink

Cartoon humor - Summer 1945 - I had guessed at the title but couldn't find this one online and there it was on MCS again; the woman's foot and the man's body and head are visible in the bottom left corner 

cartoon humor.jpg

Edited by David Buck

2 hours ago, David Buck said:

to the right of Wink

Cartoon humor - Summer 1945 - I had guessed at the title but couldn't find this one online and there it was on MCS again; the woman's foot and the man's body and head are visible in the bottom left corner 

Sweet! Thanks again! I will add it to the photo.