• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,392 posts in this topic

Okay, I have racked my brain in the past trying to figure out which comics are in the following photos, in the back of the other titles? I have highlight the area in question. The clues, as with practically all the publications pictured, is that the title shown was likely released between July-September 1945. I guess it's possible they could be older, but none would be later. Also, in these pictures, what is visible would be the top half of the comic. In this particular post, it's safe to assume all are comic books, as the comics were mostly all displayed together. The exception is the picture with the astrology magazines. I am almost completely certain the sliver of the magazine shown in that picture is one of the astrology publications, but I included it with the comics images just in case.

I know there are several other publications still to be identified, but I was hoping to finish off the comics area, if possible. I've used Mike's Newsstand and My Comic Shop to try and figure out what's what, and came up short. Of course, I might have missed something one of you might catch. Here's the pictures, blown up, and exposure adjusted to lighten the images as best as I could for the task.

id-titles-001.thumb.jpg.cf62749d689f64516ed8439913b68853.jpg

id-titles-002.thumb.jpg.a919e768cd5a32eed749d59aabe52ecb.jpg

id-titles-003.thumb.jpg.6e1f4fa55a525a51477d5be7ffd85cdf.jpg

id-titles-004.thumb.jpg.3954d5d66a1ffaf0578a43b84ae6f381.jpg

The next pics are in the detective and adventure pulps area...

id-titles-005.thumb.jpg.a8971b0a078b53b846f3c0227273abd0.jpg

Here's a western pulp on the bottom display that has yet to be identified...

id-titles-006.thumb.jpg.f8f818f130e61e74102156e5e5089718.jpg

--And here (in black and white) are a few other publications near the comics section that haven't been ID'ed. I rotated the image to make it easier to see the titles. The two left of the "Black Hood" appear to be army or military humor/cartoon magazines.

id-titles-007.jpg.1e631d33235931a1e24ccec8b1f82427.jpg

5 minutes ago, telerites said:

I'm scouring for that American Astrology.  They all seem to have had similar covers.  Maybe one of these.  They are from 1945.

I do see what appears to be a July 1945 on the graphic you shared, so it's pretty close. Other than the color, it seems the position of what appears to be the constellations in the circle are the only real differences between the covers.

4 minutes ago, MattHawes said:

I do see what appears to be a July 1945 on the graphic you shared, so it's pretty close. Other than the color, it seems the position of what appears to be the constellations in the circle are the only real differences between the covers.

Yeah.  That was the only I could find with 1945 so missing a few months.  Maybe we can eliminate what it isn't and assume it is a 1945 copy - what is missing from that image is June, August, September and October.

If it is a summer, a good guess would be June.  

Edited by telerites

Above, in the batch of photos I posted of the hard-to-identify titles in back rows, I overlooked including this one (I added a red tint around the surrounding elements to make it stand out in this example)...

BTW, you'll note that the "Power Comics" has been added in this example. :-)

id-titles-008.jpg.d018e4d0e4ab58730e86ba76f6a634fe.jpg

Edited by MattHawes

Not 100% certain this is the correct cover for the issue sandwiched in between "Everybody's Comics" and the "American Astrology" issue, but the cover elements match pretty darn close for the area that is shown in the display photo. If I had a better image instead of the very tiny one I found, it would help, as I am not even sure of the date. I cropped the image from a three issue lot I found in an image search. It was a part of an eBay listing, but that listing is removed though the image remains.

Apparently this, and a number of other covers for that magazine, was illustrated by Alex Schomburg.

1379442713_everyday-astrology-possibly1945.jpg.b4a8cacee36cd60eaf472e17f3d362e1.jpg

New update! The "American Astrology" with the July cover date posted above in the lot photo by telerites may or may not be from 1945, but it does seem to fit the picture. Of course, the cover design on each issue of that publication was pretty much the same thing, but there are those little "stars" or "constellations," or whatever, inside that globe that did seem to sync up pretty well with what is shown on the Readmore display. Therefore, I feel it's a safe bet until further proof is provided.

Here's the updated photo:

comics-1945-readmore-evansville-008-8-20-2020.thumb.jpg.091709d465ba3cfafa835572dba47fea.jpg

Here's the link to the FLICKR image of the same.

1 hour ago, Scrooge said:

Looks great!

:gossip: The Army & Navy Jokes is on two shelves, you only updated the first shelf, another copy above next to the second Grins is missing.

Ah! Thanks for spotting that! I will make the change and post it when we (hopefully) get a few more finds for the next update.