• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,395 posts in this topic

Love these photos and the conversation that has been brought up re: authentic vs. faked. Great stuff all around.

Just my two cents as a web/graphic designer, but you can pretty much fake just about anything w/ graphics software (i.e. Photoshop) these days. There's been some pretty high-level discussions about AP photos 'n such being doctored in the past including the complete removal of people from an original image. Anybody remember the case where forest firefighters were "erased" from a photo right before they were overtaken by a fire? Plenty of controversy around that. Bottom line, with a talented enough person it's almost impossible to tell these days.

Personally, I still enjoy the photos being posted here (thumbs u

Edited by snitzer

Here's one I found recently that I'm not sure if it's been posted before.

TONS of comics at the bottom

oldnewsstand.jpg

If it's been posted before let me know.

You're safe I don't recall that one has ever been posted. (thumbs u

yeah. just blur them up a little bit more. A lot more. But why? dont you think the newsstand pics are real? There's photoshop and then there's common sense. Mine sez the pic is real. What would be the point of doing that and then seeding it online somewhere? And if I did it Id pick keys just to make it more sensational.

anyway, I was just pointing out the limits of photoshop magic vs peoples motivations for doing something like this.

I assume these are real, but I'm always interested in someone looking at a photo more closely to validate it. I was looking at the picture myself to try and figure out if the "crispness" of the comic images was out of place but wasn't sure whether I had another reference object to at the same distance to compare against.

Really hard to tell. I'm not really seeing the Jumbo Comics logo, and I'm having a hard time matching any of the panels to the Jumbo 7 cover panels. That part of the image is just too hard to make out.

I agree with NM that from what I can see I can't match the image with the Jumbo cover.

newsstandA1939.jpg

A bunch of my GA comics have a store's name stamped on the back which mentions that they sell "Cigars & Tobacco, Stationery & Newspapers" just like the Dad Bailey shop pictured above.

Ajax's photo gives me a visual of what the interior of Campbell Bros store might have looked like at that time period, which is neat.

CampbellBrosComic1GA.jpg

newsstandA1939.jpg

Here's a little info about Dad Bailey...

This was Charles Bailey's second business. He worked for years in the lumber business. A fire took his business and it was then that he found out someone forgot to pay the insurance. Old enough to retire, but without much money he opened up this newsstand. It thrived and got bigger and he worked there for many years. He lived well into his nineties.

The expansion of the newsstand between the first and second pic posted in this thread bears this out. The business expanded from a walk-up window to an establishment where you could enter and browse.

So, a couple minutes on Our Friend Google, and here's a hard working youngster with a decent selection of comics...

b11518.jpg

Looks like at least one $20,000+ key squeezed in there...

Mr. Shomburg stole my thunder with his post of the other newsstand pic.

That was the one I WAS going to post that was to blow everyon's socks off. OH WELL....you beat me to it.

It's probably the coolest newsstand picture in the universe so far...

I still have one more....but it's not as cool as the other two.

Bye the way, as to the authenticity of the second DAD BAILEYS pic, I'm sure it's real....it's just HARD TO BELIEVE how cool the photo is.

I found it here....

FIRST PIC

I believe his son posted it, he's a photographer, Bodie Bailey.

SECOND PIC THAT MR.SHOMBURG POSTED

Finally, here is the other pic I was going to post....it's not as cool as the first two...but it still makes you want to jump into the WAYBACK MACHINE and dig around....enjoy....

newsstand3.jpg

I could only locate 3 comics...

ZIP 26 May 1942

MORE FUN 78 April 1942

and FIGHT COMICS 18 April 1942

Untitled-4-1.jpg

That was the one I WAS going to post that was to blow everyon's socks off. OH WELL....you beat me to it.

Sorry Ajax :sorry: I didn't know.......

Paul

Sorry Ajax :sorry: I didn't know.......

Paul

you...you....you thunder stealer lol

One of my collecting goals may or may not come true, we will see..I have a meeting with the son of a photographer who took photographs of neigboorhood homes and candy stores from 1921 to 1945[in bensonhurst brooklyn] He says he has photographs of neighborhood newsstands and candystores from the spring and summer of 1938.[dates marked on the back of photos] He says there are many magazines in the photos from that era that he has.He says he would prefer me to come to his home to view them as there are way to many to go over on the phone.I agreed. I will keep you guys posted..Im hoping for the holy grail of photographs on the newsstand.?

I neednt tell you the book right?

One of my collecting goals may or may not come true, we will see..I have a meeting with the son of a photographer who took photographs of neigboorhood homes and candy stores from 1921 to 1945[in bensonhurst brooklyn] He says he has photographs of neighborhood newsstands and candystores from the spring and summer of 1938.[dates marked on the back of photos] He says there are many magazines in the photos from that era that he has.He says he would prefer me to come to his home to view them as there are way to many to go over on the phone.I agreed. I will keep you guys posted..Im hoping for the holy grail of photographs on the newsstand.?

I neednt tell you the book right?

Nice, please post an update no matter what you find. Love stories like this.

Good luck.

:wishluck: