• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,395 posts in this topic

Both matched up pretty well, Scrooge! It's always fascinating to me that we can guess some of these from so little to go on. It's cool when I warp the image to fit the position (as best as I can) to match the title in the picture and they little elements all fit like they should.

8 hours ago, MattHawes said:

I'll go ahead and post the latest update, since you guys found a good number today...

Looking great.

I did not mention it before b/c I thought you had it but right next to Captain Marvel at bottom right is this from Fawcett. I thought for sure you had it since you have the Billy the Kid one. Here it is -

862170007_FawcettHelicopter.thumb.jpg.d5a54e8b2b9bbd6f3b6e94742ef8ac5b.jpg

8 hours ago, Scrooge said:

Looking great.

I did not mention it before b/c I thought you had it but right next to Captain Marvel at bottom right is this from Fawcett. I thought for sure you had it since you have the Billy the Kid one. Here it is -

862170007_FawcettHelicopter.thumb.jpg.d5a54e8b2b9bbd6f3b6e94742ef8ac5b.jpg

Thanks!! No, I did not have that one already. In fact, I was going crazy trying to find that back last year. LOL! I knew what it was, but at the time could not locate a photo online. Great job!

On 8/17/2020 at 2:23 AM, Scrooge said:

In the humor section, here's Enjoy Yourself - 1944 -

922552212_EnjoyYourself1944.jpg.25d437fdd699ca5976aed04231f56041.jpg

try  this issue of Enjoy Yourself courtesy of abebooks - it's listed as a 1945 edition ; and the cover image does look like the lower of the two copies

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30472373347&searchurl=ds%3D20%26sortby%3D17%26kn%3D1945%2Bhumour%2Bmagazine&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp8-_-image1

30472373347.jpg

28 minutes ago, David Buck said:

try  this issue of Enjoy Yourself courtesy of abebooks - it's listed as a 1945 edition ; and the cover image does look like the lower of the two copies

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30472373347&searchurl=ds%3D20%26sortby%3D17%26kn%3D1945%2Bhumour%2Bmagazine&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp8-_-image1

Sweet! Thanks! You guys rock!

6 minutes ago, MattHawes said:

Sweet! Thanks! You guys rock!

Also, in case you did not notice but Enjoy Yourself is in two places. Up top with the Humor magazine but I believe there is another stack near the floor to the right of .44 Western laying flat.

2 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

Also, in case you did not notice but Enjoy Yourself is in two places. Up top with the Humor magazine but I believe there is another stack near the floor to the right of .44 Western laying flat.

Thanks! I am just about ready to start adding these new pics to the mix.

About that issue of Enjoy Yourself... It's so funny, but the lower positioned copy I did not realize was the same publication and had been racking my brain to try and figure out what the title read. Now that you point it out, Scrooge, I am like "Of course!!" Not only that, but it does seem to confirm the issue with Jimmy Durante is the correct one. I knew it wasn't the 1944 issue, but I don't know if there were any other 1945 issues. Seeing that other copy with more of its cover exposed looks like it fits the bill.

20 minutes ago, MattHawes said:

Thanks! I am just about ready to start adding these new pics to the mix.

This one I.m not 100% on - looks right, for the book behind "Romance" plulp

you have the shape of the L, the 10 in the circle to the left, the girl's hair overlapping the v & the e and the story title text is proportionate  - see what you think 

Ten Story Love.jpg

12 minutes ago, David Buck said:

This one I.m not 100% on - looks right, for the book behind "Romance" plulp

you have the shape of the L, the 10 in the circle to the left, the girl's hair overlapping the v & the e and the story title text is proportionate  - see what you think 

It looks like it will fit to me! Thanks!

That Titter magazine was tricky to fit in the pic. LOL! There have been a few times where the magazine in the photo was curved or bent, and since I am trying to mimic the original photo with our color findings, I have to warp the image quite a bit at times. It's not always perfect, but it's fairly representative of how it appears in the display.

A lot of these new additions reach pretty far back, nearly all the way to the edge of the left side of the Readmore photo. It's pretty crazy that you guys are spotting titles that far back in the photo, and very cool! :applause:

It's frustrating for me that the astrology magazines have several pretty clear images which would make them relatively easy to identify, but I can't find a good source for locating images of those publications online. Sigh.

1 hour ago, MattHawes said:

It's frustrating for me that the astrology magazines have several pretty clear images which would make them relatively easy to identify, but I can't find a good source for locating images of those publications online. Sigh.

The ultimate disposable magazines I am afraid. Who would keep those? Given the lack of images, no one.