• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More Fun with Dr. Occult

59 posts in this topic

I remember reading about the Superman prototype Dr. Occult stories in an issue of Nemo in the '80's. They were relatively cheap in the OS Guide at that time but impossible to find when I looked for them. Anyway, I have a More Fun #14 that I haven't taken out in awhile. If it's not too fragile I'll scan the Dr. Occult story later.

What issue are those O'Mealia interiors from? Great stuff.

... from More Fun #15. O'Mealia also drew 2 pagers of Barry O'neill vs the unscrupulous Chinese stereotype.

This pre-hero title was loaded with good art on knights in shining armor, 3 Musketeers in b/w, or Wing Brady (by Tom Hickey). Several issues also had 2 page b/w photo and text profile on hot Hollywood films of the day by Charlie Chan or Shirley Temple.

Glad there are a variety of collectors who still enjoy Siegel and Shuster's Dr. Occult or Radio Squad. :luhv:

Several issues had a 2 page text ad where you could join their "World-wide Fun Club" for 10c to get (Mr. Berk's) pin back button.

Jon B., that New Fun memorabilia display is simply amazing! (New Fun is a title I'd like to start collecting...any available out there? :wishluck: )

Anyway, I have a More Fun #14 that I haven't taken out in awhile. If it's not too fragile I'll scan the Dr. Occult story later.

That would be great! Here's a preview - the iconic panel from MF 14:

100_1558.jpg

Jon B., that New Fun memorabilia display is simply amazing! (New Fun is a title I'd like to start collecting...any available out there? :wishluck: )

Anyway, I have a More Fun #14 that I haven't taken out in awhile. If it's not too fragile I'll scan the Dr. Occult story later.

That would be great! Here's a preview - the iconic panel from MF 14:

100_1558.jpg

Ah- but the basis for that is the following....as stated before this magazine with obvious DC features (actually National periodical features) is rumored to be "payment" for these ex-DC employees....The features are clearly from earlier DC titles...

then we got this character....Dr. Mystic the Occult Detective.....Hold the phone....what about Dr. Occult the Mystic Dectective?

Sorry, about the scan on page 1, but there is only so much I can 'sacrifice'.

By the way purchased this copy (I grade it as VF/NM for "double Guide"-----for the outrageous price of $450 in 1984)

55024-comicmagazine1.jpg.de06241b5390170086f2c19263d66a3a.jpg

55025-comicmaginterior1vertical1.jpg.251f6aca7ca713bf875e8567d8c5f2a5.jpg

55026-comicmaginterior2.jpg.6388065e49012158fdfa362ea979b7e3.jpg

Wonderful Shuster artwork!!! (thumbs u

By the way purchased this copy (I grade it as VF/NM for "double Guide"-----for the outrageous price of $450 in 1984)

Wouldn't double guide have been an unusual circumstance back then? It's been so common for multiples of guide on particular books that it's easy to forget that it was not always that way.

Wonderful Shuster artwork!!! (thumbs u

Wouldn't double guide have been an unusual circumstance back then? It's been so common for multiples of guide on particular books that it's easy to forget that it was not always that way.

yes, it was 'unusal' but the book was in great shape and the seller, let us say, he was a bit eccentric jb (plus "Beggars can't be Choosers")(Plus I had "The Fever" for this book. Part of my pre-hero addiction. See things have not changed all that much..)

55025-comicmaginterior1vertical1.jpg

55026-comicmaginterior2.jpg

Thanks, Jon. :applause:

I love those pages.

I think they show Shuster to be an exceptional talent. His work has often been criticized (I specifically recall reading Steranko's stinging comments) but I personally believe Shuster outshines many of his contemporaries.

As some of you know, Ian Levine did a 'Double Action 1' consisting of a copy of

the ashcan DA 1 cover and copies of every Dr. Occult story (including the one

published in The Comics). He printed the stories in publication order. I suspect

the total number of copies created was no more than 10.

Would love a cvrless More Fun #15 and #17 to complete the 'Superman Prototype' story. Covers just make them expensive, so feel free to rip yours off and sell me the guts.

BTW, pretty cool story about how I got these, along with MF 9-12 and a few in the 20's, all cvrless. I met a guy via ebay back in the early days that sold a couple platinum age books and he had a stack of cvrless comics. Quickly figured out they were MFs and bought them all. After I did, he told me he only saved them because they were 'small' and fit in the box with the other books he had. Otherwise, he would have thrown them out like he did the 'big magazines' as he called them, the NEW FUNS?!?!!?!?!??!?!?!~!??!!?!?

Oh ya, he had thrown them out only a few months earlier when he moved from his house to a nursing home = why I don't have a New Fun #6 and probably never will...

:cry: