• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PUNISHER appreciation thread
4 4

1,058 posts in this topic

the :luhv:love of punisher:luhv: is crazy right now, CGC 4.5's going for over $500

Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to upgrade my ASM 129 before it's too late, lol I do have a 4.5 blue label, now it may be time to sell and save till the market settles. idk I'm just talkin'. I certainly hope Punisher stays main stream! and that the Netflix series does it JUSTICE :o 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Have been thinking about treating myself to my first copy of 129 for my birthday in November. Market is looking a bit intimidating right now and I'm afraid it will only get worse when the show comes on. Somewhere there's a seller that's gonna take me for all I've got...

Edited by punksdropdirtysrh

10 minutes ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

Have been thinking about treating myself to my first copy of 129 for my birthday in November. Market is looking a bit intimidating right now and I'm afraid it will only get worse when the show comes on. Somewhere there's a seller that's gonna take me for all I've got...

We're you looking for midgrade? I haven't checked the price of raws recently either....but if it comes down to being cheaper you could grade later.... 

Just curious lol

My LCS has layaway where they don't increase the price and give you 3 months to pay... 

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

We're you looking for midgrade? I haven't checked the price of raws recently either....but if it comes down to being cheaper you could grade later.... 

Just curious lol

My LCS has layaway where they don't increase the price and give you 3 months to pay... 

Yea I was hoping to find the best looking copy possible for $4-500 bucks. Need to think a bit more, weigh it against other books I want. it's been high on my list forever...since I've had a list really lol but golden age books keep getting priority on my budget. To me...I can always buy a ASM 129...so I've chosen more "rare" books first. But still really want one! Now that Punisher is becoming more and more popular it might be time to Spoon or get off the pot hm

6 minutes ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

Yea I was hoping to find the best looking copy possible for $4-500 bucks. Need to think a bit more, weigh it against other books I want. it's been high on my list forever...since I've had a list really lol but golden age books keep getting priority on my budget. To me...I can always buy a ASM 129...so I've chosen more "rare" books first. But still really want one! Now that Punisher is becoming more and more popular it might be time to Spoon or get off the pot hm

That's about my price and range as well for the most part, I've seen it cool off enough for a 5.5. It does seem to fluctuate periodically, but it hasn't ever taken off as well as IH 181. Hopefully there is a chance for us lolto catch a break! :wishluck:

9 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That's about my price and range as well for the most part, I've seen it cool off enough for a 5.5. It does seem to fluctuate periodically, but it hasn't ever taken off as well as IH 181. Hopefully there is a chance for us lolto catch a break! :wishluck:

Hahaha I know Ive been thinking the same thing! Hulk 181 has gone NUTS. I'm glad I don't really want one! But it makes me paranoid. Punisher deserves recognition too but  hopefully I can still buy one without emptying my savings account.

18 minutes ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

I think 129 will surpass Hulk 181 within the next few years. Because, Punisher fans and Spider-Man fans. Don't get me wrong, Hulk is cool but doesn't have a fan base as big as Spidey's.

No way. I think Wolverine has shown far more storytelling flexibility and, thus, longevity. One of the Punisher's main limitations is that his abilities and enemies can only stretch so far in a universe of superheroes. I would say based on the large dips in popularity he's experienced over the years that he also has more risk for fall-off.  Isn't Wolverine still dead? And yet 181 continues to climb.

Incidentally, did anyone else pick up the new Punisher Back to the War Omni? Pretty much reprints every appearance up through the limited series. Just got mine yesterday, pretty excited! 

3 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

No way. I think Wolverine has shown far more storytelling flexibility and, thus, longevity. One of the Punisher's main limitations is that his abilities and enemies can only stretch so far in a universe of superheroes. I would say based on the large dips in popularity he's experienced over the years that he also has more risk for fall-off.  Isn't Wolverine still dead? And yet 181 continues to climb.

Incidentally, did anyone else pick up the new Punisher Back to the War Omni? Pretty much reprints every appearance up through the limited series. Just got mine yesterday, pretty excited! 

In the early 90s 129 had more value. We are barely seeing 9.8s going into permanent collections. Currently there is only 1 9.8 129 on ebay for 40k with the last copy with white pages being sold for over 15k recently. Wolverine was so oversaturated when he died, it was crazy. 181 is still going up but not nearly at the rate Punisher is.

That Omni looks cool. I wonder if it reprints preview 2 in color?

1 hour ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

In the early 90s 129 had more value. We are barely seeing 9.8s going into permanent collections. Currently there is only 1 9.8 129 on ebay for 40k with the last copy with white pages being sold for over 15k recently. Wolverine was so oversaturated when he died, it was crazy. 181 is still going up but not nearly at the rate Punisher is.

That Omni looks cool. I wonder if it reprints preview 2 in color?

I'm sure the potential for a higher rate of increase is better on 129 now as it had dropped way back for a while and could be seen as undervalued compared to 181. Even now, though, the numbers still bear out that 181 is increasing at a faster rate than 129. I think the gap is just insurmountable barring something catastrophic -- Hulk 181 is just on another level now, it's viewed as an iconic book in comic collecting and is put on a pedestal with just a few others as indicators of the hobby's strength. If 129 starts to dip, we won't get falling sky forecasts like we would if 181 or AF 15 started to decrease in value. 

I dug back through my price guides and threw together this chart which shows the two books compared on what I have available (for some reason I only get 10 increments on the Y-axis so my dollar amounts aren't exactly round):

59c1cb29408b7_IH181vsASM129.thumb.jpg.e0300a23a485a5a1037b369c69a336cb.jpg

It's hard to tell, but my 1989 guide does back up what you said about 129 being ahead of 181 (note: not an Overstreet guide) by about $30. Since then, 181 has had three distinct periods where it has had a much steeper increase than 129 (one of those points 129 dropped by about $100, our beloved "crash" of the mid-to-late 90's). In fact, over the 11 years from 1991 and 2002, it dropped $20 while Wolvie rose $840.

Anyway, that's not to get down on Frank. I'm glad 129 is back on the rise as I still have a soft spot for that issue. It was one of those unattainable grails when I was a much younger collector. 181 just didn't hold that mystique for me, quite possibly because, as you pointed out, it's still a Hulk issue. Meh.

I haven't opened my Omni yet. Honestly, I have too many going right now and I have yet to finish one (Batman GA, Flash SA, Supergirl SA, Justice League SA, Teen Titans SA) and I still have the follow-ups for most of those volumes on-deck, so I'm really trying not to crack another open until I can close out some others. Maybe there's a flip-through on youtube or something, but it seems unlikely to me that the Marvel Preview would be updated with colors.

Thanks for the graph. What condition is that based off of?

181 was always "The" big book for me. That I almost thought I would never get. I got lucky and got my 129 first a few years ago while it was on a down swing. Frank has always been one of my favorite characters 

@Martin Sinescu

Edited by STORMSHADOW_80
Tag

On 9/15/2017 at 3:01 PM, Parabellum said:

I can see that but the accuracy of his guns is on point.  Up until Bradstreet pretty much only Mike Zech and Jim Lee had accurate representations of the Punisher's guns (except whoever drew Punisher Armory, there are some description discrepancies in that series).  It was noticeable to me even at a young age.  For example; in the Punisher Counrdown run he at one point is running around with a Colt SMG affixed with a DEA upper receiver.  Instead of the standard stick magazine he has a belt of 5.56 rounds coming out of the magazine well; completely ridiculous, wrong caliber, wrong feeding method.

My favorite is this one.  It looks like he stole that one off of one of the Starjammers or something.

punisher.jpg

Edited by Von Cichlid