• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who are the most talented but underrated artists since 1961?
2 2

144 posts in this topic

On 4/4/2008 at 11:12 AM, dekeuk said:

Some artists get all the fame, glory and prices for their original art (i.e. Adams, Miller, Ditko, Kirby, Wrightson, McFarlane, Lee, Smith, Byrne, etc.)

Others work away year after year, producing great art, but are (relatively) unappeciated and underrated.

Who do you think are some of the most talented yet under appreciated artists since the Marvel era began in 1961?

For me, you aren't under appreciated if IDW or someone else has done an "Artist's Edition" of your work.  So guys like Golden, Mazzuchelli, Chaykin, Starlin, Kaluta, Mignola, Russell, Andru, Aragones, Simonson, Gibbons, etc. are not eligible in my book.

But, these guys are (I think):

Kojima

Wildey

Swan

Truman 

Willingham

Wagner

I could go on, but I think you get the drift.  

2 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

Richard Corben

One of the best visual storytellers ever to work in comics.

On 4/4/2008 at 3:28 PM, TupennyConan said:

Angelo's list looks like it could be mine. One question though, why no Jeff Jones?

As for under-appreciated, forgotten or overlooked talent, the name that popped into my mind was David Mazzucelli. A great talent!

Really?  I think Mazz is incredibly overrated and would be one of the long list of forgotten artists, if it weren’t for his collaborations with Miller.

The most under rated under appreciated artist of all time is Curt Swan.  He rarely gets mentioned anywhere and is arguably the best comic artist of all time.  His ability to draw pretty much anything and the most natural poses of any artist is unparalleled. 

6 hours ago, Jëffrö... said:

Plus the Op was de-kook

lol

Flipping lunatic.

Probably be voted as boardie of the year today.

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 4:38 PM, JollyComics said:

Her brother John Severin too!

Jeff Smith - Bone
David Sim - Cerebus

It's hard to believe that no one mentioned his name here ---- Nick Cardy

I was gonna say Cardy. It's like he really only started getting appreciated in the last few years. He was definitely three cuts above some of the other generic DC artists of his era.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

I was gonna say Cardy. It's like he really only started getting appreciated in the last few years. He was definitely three cuts above some of the other generic DC artists of his era.

That was a close call.  I enjoyed his art in early 70's - still remembered his artworks.

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2008 at 2:55 PM, mar-vell said:

for years starlin was almost unknown. i think it's a little ironic that he got the most acclaim for some of his crummiest work he did in the late eighties and early 90's. His early stuff is still underrated!

When was starlin almost unknown????????? He was a huge star among artists. He just didn't produce a ton of work like Byrne.

On 4/9/2020 at 9:04 PM, kav said:

The most under rated under appreciated artist of all time is Curt Swan.  He rarely gets mentioned anywhere and is arguably the best comic artist of all time.  His ability to draw pretty much anything and the most natural poses of any artist is unparalleled. 

Curt Swan of DC was the Sal Buscema of Marvel.  Both very prolific and always considered average, but now over time their work is much more appreciated.  

4 minutes ago, SuperZar said:

Curt Swan of DC was the Sal Buscema of Marvel.  Both very prolific and always considered average, but now over time their work is much more appreciated.  

Sal Buscema was never the top artist or top cover artist at Marvel.  Swan was at DC.

Edited by kav

4 minutes ago, kav said:

Sal Buscema was never the top artist or top cover artist at Marvel.  Swan was at DC.

Sal's work really shined when he had a great inker such as Klaus Janson touching up his work.  True he never did too many covers that I recall...