• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who are the most talented but underrated artists since 1961?
2 2

144 posts in this topic

Anyone mention Rob Guillory?  I came to appreciate his style after reading the Chew series, very visually interesting work.

40 minutes ago, Pat Thomas said:

Ross Andru drew the Spider-Man I consider "mine" from the 1970's.  As good as Romita Sr. IMO.

His spider man was iconic for sure.  Very expressive.

On 4/11/2020 at 1:46 PM, the blob said:

I was gonna say Cardy. It's like he really only started getting appreciated in the last few years. He was definitely three cuts above some of the other generic DC artists of his era.

Cardy wasn't the most elegant artist, but he was as good as any at composing creative and dramatic scenes, which is why he is responsible for many, many stunning DC silver and bronze age covers.  And in the age of the comics code authority he managed to slip in some excellent GGA.

Jack Kamen

Kyle Baker

Nestor Redondo

Alex Nino

Charles Burns

Lee Moder

Lee Weeks

Jerome Opena

Mike Parobeck

Phil Jimenez

Jerry Ordway

Edited by Ken Aldred

5 minutes ago, JohnT said:

I always loved Alex Nino, and I still seek out DC horror with his stories in them.  Very unique style.

Beat me to Alex Nino.

A great creator who at times completely obscured his art with lots of unnecessary, hyper-detailed linework to the point of almost psychedelic overkill.  When he was less self-indulgent, his simpler, clearer artwork made his talent obvious.

10 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Beat me to Alex Nino.

A great creator who at times completely obscured his art with lots of unnecessary, hyper-detailed linework to the point of almost psychedelic overkill.  When he was less self-indulgent, his simpler, clearer artwork made his talent obvious.

Yes, at times you had to really struggle to figure out what was going on because of the stylized detail, but I think that confusion really worked in horror stories.  It was disorienting and even unnerving at times.

2 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Yes, at times you had to really struggle to figure out what was going on because of the stylized detail, but I think that confusion really worked in horror stories.  It was disorienting and even unnerving at times.

Look Here, Read: â1894,â with art by Alex Nino â Ragged Claws Network

5 minutes ago, JohnT said:

+1

A horror story had Satan appear when a guy was selling his soul.  Despite looking human, he was illustrated in a way that also made him somehow quite disturbing and otherworldly, capturing a sense of him being total evil and ‘not of this Earth‘.

8 minutes ago, JohnT said:

An extreme example!

Yup.  I was thinking more of a comparison between his earlier work at Warren and his later stories there that had more-and-more detailed artwork, or the very open, clean style that he used on his adaptation of ‘The Time Machine’ for Marvel Classics Comics, which is the polar opposite of the extreme example posted by Kav.

Marvel+Classics+02-10.jpg

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

Yup.  I was thinking more of a comparison between his earlier work at Warren and his later stories there that had more and more detailed, or the very open, clean style that he used on his adaptation of ‘The Time Machine’ for Marvel Classics Comics, which is the polar opposite of the extreme example posted by Kav.

Marvel+Classics+02-10.jpg

I think that's the only Marvel Classics Comics I own!   Just beautiful stuff.

Here’s the full comic.

https://bronzeageofblogs.blogspot.com/2015/01/marvel-classic-comics-time-machine.html?m=1

As well as the page of simpler, more open art I posted previously, something on par with P  Craig Russell’s style...

Marvel+Classics+02-01.jpg

And, as it was the 70s, something more cosmic in style...

image.thumb.jpeg.522d00c8927f273dbb87301ad0af0ab3.jpeg

Tremendous range.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 minute ago, JohnT said:

Another Warren great and way underappreciated is Bruce Jones.  Man that guy could write and draw some intense stories.

Quite Frazetta influenced.

52 minutes ago, kav said:

Divot in moon impossible due to gravitational forces.

Screenshot 2020-05-16 at 9.11.45 PM.png

Wrong thread. :baiting:

On 4/11/2020 at 9:49 PM, Pat Thomas said:

Ross Andru drew the Spider-Man I consider "mine" from the 1970's.  As good as Romita Sr. IMO.

I'm not sure I can think of anything comic related that I disagree with more. Romita was smooth and elegant. Andru was jagged and jarring.

I'm much more forgiving of Andru's war stuff from the 50s and 60s though.

Edited by Jeffro.