• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who are the most talented but underrated artists since 1961?
2 2

144 posts in this topic

Here's a few I like:

John Severin

Bob Layton

John Bolton (early work)

Paul Gulacy

Gray Morrow

Walt Simonson

Howard Chaykin

Mike Kaluta

Frank Brunner

Barry Windsor Smith

Angelo's list looks like it could be mine. One question though, why no Jeff Jones?

There's a few names I left off figuring someone else would mention them (Wrightson, Ploog, Cassady). But I do agree with David Mazzucelli. His name slipped my mind :shy:

Oh yeah, add Dave Stevens (RIP) to the list (thumbs u

Edited by TheWatcher

Gene Day... detailed linework, great architectural elements and possible the best page layouts since Steranko

absolutely - wasn't he only in his thirties when he died?? His MOKF art was great...

Dan

Gene Day... detailed linework, great architectural elements and possible the best page layouts since Steranko

absolutely - wasn't he only in his thirties when he died?? His MOKF art was great...

Dan

Yeah...heart attack :(

The last months of his life were pure hell as he was very depressed after been fired from Marvel by Jim Shooter for not towing the line and using the formulaic layouts every Marvel had to use per Shooter's say-so.

I have one of his MOKF originals in my CAF gallery... Original Art Page

John Buscema always prefered his Conan over Barry Smith.

Joe Staton would have love to see him have a shot at X-men in the 1980`s. he would have been huge and Gene Colan his Tomb of Dracula cannot be beat not to mention his Howard the Duck.

Edited by MR.COMICBOOK

I really enjoyed Karl Moline's work from Route 666 by Crossgen. His work was stylish, catchy and overall very well drawn. Don't know if he would be considered the most talented and underrated artist since 1961, but I really like his stuff. (thumbs u

Andy

I love Don Newton's Batman and Tec work from the 1980s. I think if he hadn't directly followed the Adams/Wrightson/Rogers trio in the 70s he would be more talked about today. Beautiful linework and shadowing, kinda similar to Wrightson in his early stuff but definitely took on a life of his own. Really nice, really underrated work.

I was always a fan of Alex Nino as well...his work is quite a bit offbeat but his linework is sometimes as detailed as Wrightson...definatly an aquired taste and highly underrated...

Mike Nasser

I've got a portfolio by Nasser...awesome otherworldly stuff... :cloud9:...kinda like Starlin...

Yep, he had a lot of talent before he changed his name to Netzer...some people pegged him as a Neal Adams clone, which I always thought was unfair.