• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who are the most talented but underrated artists since 1961?
2 2

144 posts in this topic

I was always a fan of Alex Nino as well...his work is quite a bit offbeat but his linework is sometimes as detailed as Wrightson...definatly an aquired taste and highly underrated...

I remember his work from Weird War...not your typical comic artist, and hard to get used to.

If he was a clone of anybody I would say Starlin or Marshall Rogers is closer to his style....I always thought he had a much smoother style than Adams yet less defined...

I was always a fan of Alex Nino as well...his work is quite a bit offbeat but his linework is sometimes as detailed as Wrightson...definatly an aquired taste and highly underrated...

I remember his work from Weird War...not your typical comic artist, and hard to get used to.

Maybe I'll post some pics tonight.... :wishluck:

hmmm, well a lot of these guys don't seem so "underrated" as they were "hot" in their time (dale keown, art adams, etc.) are semi-"legends" (or second tier legends) - kaluta, maybe ploog

I thought Raphael Kamayan (sp?) was going to take off when he did the Conan reboot for marvel in the 90s, I guess I liked all the intricate stuff because it reminded me of BWS.

hmmm, well a lot of these guys don't seem so "underrated" as they were "hot" in their time (dale keown, art adams, etc.) are semi-"legends" (or second tier legends) - kaluta, maybe ploog

I thought Raphael Kamayan (sp?) was going to take off when he did the Conan reboot for marvel in the 90s, I guess I liked all the intricate stuff because it reminded me of BWS.

The thread presents a challenging question. The temptation is to name your favorite artist.

I think the Sal B. response was a good one because he has always lived in the shadow of Big John.

I'll add a couple I didn't see listed!!! Angelo took most of the good ones already!!! doh!

Bob Powell

Jay Disbrow

Michael Golden

Gonzalez on Vampi (had a brain-fart and can't remember his first name)???:tonofbricks:

Opps!!! Disregard Disbrow & Powell they are before 1961!!! sorry 'bout that!!!

Edited by Blind Owl

Exactly. That's why I left a guy like Art Adams off my original list. Great artist, but he got TONS of recognition, praise, and covers in his day. Nothing under appreciated about him in my opinion.

But is hard to tell with post 1985 artists. Were they really appreciated by the public? Or did you just see their name a lot because Wizard and your LCS had a vested interested in promoting their name as a "great investment" so buy 20 copies for the future.

Edited by dekeuk

I liked Starlin's early work a lot. He seemed to take the Kirby "Cosmic-style" and refine it. His lines seemed very clean, a tradition Perez seemed to take to greater heights.

I loved Michael Golden's work on Micronauts. That was my introduction to him. It seems there are Wrightson influences in his work.

For current artists, I also like Alan Davis who is very much in an Adams style.

Mike Grell.....Can't believe he hasn't been mentioned. His work on Superboy and the Legion in the '70s was fantastic - especially the 207 cover.

I met Grell about 10 years ago and, through a friend, he gave me some pages to ink over. (They were photocopies, not OA. lol ) I gave it a try but didn't have my heart in it. They turned out very average. I agree that Grell could be very good, but sloppy at times also. I liked his work overall.

Mike Grell.....Can't believe he hasn't been mentioned. His work on Superboy and the Legion in the '70s was fantastic - especially the 207 cover.

I met Grell about 10 years ago and, through a friend, he gave me some pages to ink over. (They were photocopies, not OA. lol ) I gave it a try but didn't have my heart in it. They turned out very average. I agree that Grell could be very good, but sloppy at times also. I liked his work overall.

(thumbs u

Cool story!

GRELL (thumbs u

I just picked up this Grell, one of his rare Batman covers:

116232253_o.jpg