• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who are the most talented but underrated artists since 1961?
2 2

144 posts in this topic

Some artists get all the fame, glory and prices for their original art (i.e. Adams, Miller, Ditko, Kirby, Wrightson, McFarlane, Lee, Smith, Byrne, etc.)

Others work away year after year, producing great art, but are (relatively) unappeciated and underrated.

Who do you think are some of the most talented yet under appreciated artists since the Marvel era began in 1961?

A few of my favorites that come to mind (ignore the bad spelling):

Bill Sienkevitz

Jim Aparo

Dave Cockrum

John Romita Jr.

Marshall Rogers

Dave Sim

George Perez

Klaus Janson

Steven Bissette

John Totelbaum

Curt Swan

Brian Boland

Norm Breyfogle

Neil Gaiman

Jose Garcia-Lopez

Jim Starlin

So who is on your list as being under rated and deserving of more historical acclaim that they currently get?

I've always been a big Kieth Giffen fan. I think all his work on Legion was fantastic.

I remember when his Legion issues were so hot, everyone was "investing" in them. I remember buying 5 copies of #300. And Legion got that Baxter paper book. So much hype.

Now his issues on the run sell for the same price as the issues before he got there. What happened? Were there any real fans of this series or was it all just price speculation.

for years starlin was almost unknown. i think it's a little ironic that he got the most acclaim for some of his crummiest work he did in the late eighties and early 90's. His early stuff is still underrated!

Here's a few I like:

John Severin

Bob Layton

John Bolton (early work)

Paul Gulacy

Gray Morrow

Walt Simonson

Howard Chaykin

Mike Kaluta

Frank Brunner

Barry Windsor Smith

Angelo's list looks like it could be mine. One question though, why no Jeff Jones?

As for under-appreciated, forgotten or overlooked talent, the name that popped into my mind was David Mazzucelli. A great talent!

Russ Heath + Murphy Anderson. Known and loved by those with an appreciation for SA DC books, but much less known among casual collectors

Those too :cloud9::acclaim:

Nothing better than the Atomic Knights and the Haunted Tank

Plus Adam Strange by Infantino and Anderson :headbang:

Edited by capt_comics

Russ Heath + Murphy Anderson. Known and loved by those with an appreciation for SA DC books, but much less known among casual collectors

Those too :cloud9::acclaim:

Murphy Anderson had his hands all over so many great DC stories..... one of the quiet greats that made the Silver Age (and the Bronze Age) great for DC.

And Russ Heath.... what can you say? Wonderful work on things like Sea Devils, but just look at his war work from DC through the '60s and '70s. As the Slings and Arrows Guide said of Russ 'He'sand artist who appears quite incapable of drawing badly.' So true. His Sgt. Rock and Haunted Tank stories are among some of the best DC produced during the Silver and Bronze ages.

And for something new... I love Ken Barr's few covers and stories he did for DC. Totally underrated artist.

Shep

I like Rich Buckler and William Graham (I think that's his name....did a lot of Marvel...Jungle Action, Power Man)

Absolutely Russ Heath is under appreciated, and a more current artist I might add to this list, and there have been many great artist listed, is Alan Davis.

Edited by Karma23