• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who are the most talented but underrated artists since 1961?
2 2

144 posts in this topic

Underrated?

Brunner, Gulacy, Aparo

Aparo was on my original list, he has to be one of the most under rated of all time. And he did pencils, inks, and lettering.

If he had worked for Marvel instead of DC, and had drawn Spiderman for 20 years instead of Batman, he would have so much more recognition I think.

119851360_o.jpg

Mike Grell.....Can't believe he hasn't been mentioned. His work on Superboy and the Legion in the '70s was fantastic - especially the 207 cover.

GRELL (thumbs u

I just picked up this Grell, one of his rare Batman covers:

116232253_o.jpg

(worship):cloud9:

As far as underrated, I'd say some of the most overlooked of the Bronze/copper would be:

Jeff Jones

Keith Giffen

Alex Nino

When I was buying off the rack I'd buy any comic they drew.

From the Atomic/Silver age, I'd say Mort Meskin and Ruben Moreira.

Wow no mention yet, please don't forget Ross Andru.

Jim

My favorite Comic Artist of all time!

The absolute king of character development.

(he had a certain cool style that breathed life into ALL of his characters - big or small)

(thumbs u

No mention of Don Heck? Where's the love, man?

Heck drew GORGEOUS women.

Don Heck (1929-1995). I had to read to the end of this thread to find Mr. Heck. A shame that. He had a feeling for line in both pencils and inks that made him, at his prime, one of the greats.

Wikipedia entry: well worth the read.

POVonline Heck Obituary: nicely written.

Rick Leonardi

This guy has been in the business for almost 20 years, and hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet. I really liked his work on Daredevil and some of his Spider-Man stuff.

IMO, the Philippine artists who worked on Warren mag covers like Creepy, Eerie, Vampirella are overlooked. e.g. Sanjulian and Esteban Maroto. :luhv:

Fans remember other mag painters more like Frazetta on Epic, Creepy, Eerie, or Boris on Savage Sword of Conan.

Don Heck (1929-1995). I had to read to the end of this thread to find Mr. Heck. A shame that. He had a feeling for line in both pencils and inks that made him, at his prime, one of the greats.

Wikipedia entry: well worth the read.

POVonline Heck Obituary: nicely written.

Anytime I get a chance, here's my favorite Heck cover -

55963-Danger6.jpg.a5c3a42cceb68e6b94be5ad965031b46.jpg

Underrated?

Brunner, Gulacy, Aparo

Aparo was on my original list, he has to be one of the most under rated of all time. And he did pencils, inks, and lettering.

If he had worked for Marvel instead of DC, and had drawn Spiderman for 20 years instead of Batman, he would have so much more recognition I think.

Speaking of which I think I'm going to pre-order this kick- Batman statue based on Aparo's Batman :cloud9:

APR080304.jpg

IMO, the Philippine artists who worked on Warren mag covers like Creepy, Eerie, Vampirella are overlooked. e.g. Sanjulian and Esteban Maroto. :luhv:

Fans remember other mag painters more like Frazetta on Epic, Creepy, Eerie, or Boris on Savage Sword of Conan.

Those islands are still pumping out some great art like this piece:

bb458ac3.jpg

Don Heck was my first choice for underrated artist. When inking his own pencils, or with the right inker like Wood or Ayers, he rocked.

If anyone has the books or, more likely, Essentials, also check out Heck's inks on Kirby in Tales of Suspense #40-43.

Ignore the splash page for #40 --obviously not Heck --but it does provide a great contrast to his delicate inks. In fact, keep in mind if you are looking at the Essential Iron Man, the reproduction process actually muddies the inks the same way that Ditko's work is muted in the Essential Spider-Man. If you can check out any of the early Tales of Suspense for Heck's pencils and inks, you'd be truly impressed at the consistent quality.

It's also somewhat ironic that Lee probably was having Heck ink Kirby in those four issues to help "teach" Heck how to draw in what Lee wanted as the "House Style". Heck's very fine style (akin to the best in the Golden Age of newspaper comic strips) was pretty much unsubmergable.