• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HAS THIS BEEN RESTAPLED

27 posts in this topic

While I agree it is neigh impossible to tell from photos or scans if a staple was replaced, that scalloped shaped tear sure looks like a staple being unbent and tearing the paper. So why did I just offer more advice based on a photo? :insane:

Bottom line, ask for more photos, and what their return policy is..or better yet don't bid!

If I were bidding on this book I'd see if the seller was okay with me getting a restoration check post-purchase and allowing me to return the book if it's found to be restored. I don't know how much a restoration check on an FF #1 would cost, but I think it would be money well spent...

Assuming the book is restored but the extent of the restoration is replaced staples, you could decide if you want to keep it (especially if the replacement staples are vintage). I agree that the photos of the staples are inconclusive in determining whether or not they were replaced...

From the pictures included in the auction it looks like a nice copy...good luck if you decide to bid!

If resto is a concern, why are you even thinking of dropping more than 2k on a raw book you can't even inspect yourself? Don't mean to sound harsh, but that's :screwy:

Also, I thought this seller had been discussed on the boards before but I could be wrong.

You are right, and the higher it goes - the less likely it becomes - but the stregth of the UK Pound against the dollar makes things like this too tempting, and he seems like a genuine seller.

So taking the exchange rate into consideration, spending over 1k on a mail-order raw book makes more sense than spending over 2k?

I know it sounds strange - but on US auctions in my experience there are substantially less UK bidders to compete with so the prices seem to revert to US market prices in which the strong pound competes well.

But I take your point - the madness is in buying a four figure raw book from ebay - whatever the currency. ;-)

If resto is a concern, why are you even thinking of dropping more than 2k on a raw book you can't even inspect yourself? Don't mean to sound harsh, but that's :screwy:

Also, I thought this seller had been discussed on the boards before but I could be wrong.

You are right, and the higher it goes - the less likely it becomes - but the stregth of the UK Pound against the dollar makes things like this too tempting, and he seems like a genuine seller.

So taking the exchange rate into consideration, spending over 1k on a mail-order raw book makes more sense than spending over 2k?

I know it sounds strange - but on US auctions in my experience there are substantially less UK bidders to compete with so the prices seem to revert to US market prices in which the strong pound competes well.

But I take your point - the madness is in buying a four figure raw book from ebay - whatever the currency. ;-)

Hey, I've bought lots of 4 figure books on ebay raw. Some you win, some you lose.

(thumbs u

Hey, I've bought lots of 4 figure books on ebay raw. Some you win, some you lose.

(thumbs u

:o You serious? You're a braver man than I. (worship)

Bought an AF #15 2 years ago. Paid $2500, turned out to be a 4.5/5.0

;)

Bought a Batman #608 Retailer Incentive for $1500. Turned out to be a 9.2

:(

It happens.

(shrug)