• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

15 REASONS WHY OA WILL GO UP IN VALUE

72 posts in this topic

I thought 5K for that Avengers 16 page was quite strong - especially since it's only Kirby layouts.

The ASM 18 page that "didn't meet reserve" at $19,666 is now listed as:

Sale pending

Price: $20,000

Apparently the Ditko market is still very strong.

Holy Cow..

I just saw what the Truman Miracleman #6 cover sold for...it was sitting at $3500 or so with a few minutes to go and it sold for $7500. I did not see that one coming.

I dropped out of the Swamp Thing 1st Hellblazer page at about $2000...and it went to $3500 anyone know if that met reserve?

C

Reserve not met. It had been offered privately for quite a bit more, so I'm not surprised that the reserve wasn't met. Although, I do believe FMV is more than $3500.

Wow, I thought 8.5K was alot for that.. what do I know though :sorry:

$8.5k is alot...but when someone just laid out stooopid money for it not long ago...you are left (shrug)

C

I think that the buyer(seller) paid a very aggressive price. Yes, that maybe what it took to pry it loose from a personal collection, but I think the price realized in the auction is a very healthy figure. I almost bought the piece on Ebay about 3 years ago.

This is more of a correction and fair market value price. While there might be someone out there who would have paid more, say if it was on Heritage or consignment, I doubt it.

An increase of $5500 in 3 yrs time is fairly impressive. While this is a substantial loss for the current seller, this is keeping in mind that the piece failed to sell on Ebay for a reserve of 3K. - I also know that the "actual" bidding was lower than the amount the auction ended.

When this was sold last year, I thought the seller seriously made out like a bandit. But it takes two to tango, so if they buyer was willing to pay that price, that was his choice. Hey, I've overpaid for art I had to have many times myself. His only "mistake" was trying to move it just a few short months later. It's been for sale in his CAF and from Spencer Beck before it showed up on CLink.

Wow, I thought 8.5K was alot for that.. what do I know though :sorry:

$8.5k is alot...but when someone just laid out stooopid money for it not long ago...you are left (shrug)

C

I think that the buyer(seller) paid a very aggressive price. Yes, that maybe what it took to pry it loose from a personal collection, but I think the price realized in the auction is a very healthy figure. I almost bought the piece on Ebay about 3 years ago.

This is more of a correction and fair market value price. While there might be someone out there who would have paid more, say if it was on Heritage or consignment, I doubt it.

An increase of $5500 in 3 yrs time is fairly impressive. While this is a substantial loss for the current seller, this is keeping in mind that the piece failed to sell on Ebay for a reserve of 3K. - I also know that the "actual" bidding was lower than the amount the auction ended.

When this was sold last year, I thought the seller seriously made out like a bandit. But it takes two to tango, so if they buyer was willing to pay that price, that was his choice. Hey, I've overpaid for art I had to have many times myself. His only "mistake" was trying to move it just a few short months later. It's been for sale in his CAF and from Spencer Beck before it showed up on CLink.

Yes, but the assumed seller learned from his mistakes (which are typically made by new OA collectors/buyers) and has now amassed a pretty awesome collection of only choice pieces!

Some lessons in life are more costly then others...but hopefully we learn from them and move forward.

On another note, when was the last time a really killer splash was offered for sale? Besides a handful of pages that were already shopped around that are now in the Heritage/Comiclink auctions -- where's the killer art??

It seems like dealers/buyers/sellers and selling off the 2nd tier stuff but really holding on to the 1st tier art and waiting to see if prices continue to rise.

I know I've been looking for another choice piece for quite some time. I was able to find one - but it took A LOT of time and effort to source out.

I am always hearing collectors ask, "where's the really good stuff? With prices being what they are, why aren't better pieces surfacing?"

I don't know the answer. Anyone?

...more strong price examples:

ff 9 page $8100

morbious cover kane $2600

Ingels end page 1300plus.

ploog kull panel page 1600

gulacy master of kungfu splash 4700

don martin pages for almost a grand each.

Maybe I'm crazy but these all seem pretty strong. None of these were over the top examples but the prices seem like ones I would take if I were selling.

as the previous owner of the gulacy splash, i can safely say that the seller took a pretty good hit on that as welll.............................

well, I've taken hits too, we all have. And, I've also paid stoooopid money for pieces that I knew I wouldn't get my money out of. I guess my point is that this behavior and the taking of hits is not indicative of a strong or weak market; just isolated blips. Overall, the auction seemed pretty strong to me; there was nothing i wanted in the auction, but still the prices exceeded my expectations.... (usually I assume only the pieces I'm really interested in will go for more than expected...) :grin:

David

The first tier material is moving. It is just moving behind the scenes. With the internet and networking we have become a smaller community than pre-ebay, pre-internet. People with deep pockets are reaching out to collectors and dealers and making some amazing offers for pieces. Pieces are trading hands. There have been some incredible sales in the past few months, all of which were private.

S

David

The first tier material is moving. It is just moving behind the scenes. With the internet and networking we have become a smaller community than pre-ebay, pre-internet. People with deep pockets are reaching out to collectors and dealers and making some amazing offers for pieces. Pieces are trading hands. There have been some incredible sales in the past few months, all of which were private.

S

I guess that goes without saying - seeing as I don't think I've ever bought or sold anything "publicly" other than selling my Avengers 101 splash on eBay.

And that may be a trend that continues to rise. As collectors do their homework and find out where all the good stuff is buried, they will make appropriate offers and try to convice the owner to sell directly to them rather than go through an auction house.

David

S

I think Stephen brings up something that most of us know, but seem to have "selective amnesia". We just seem to think in terms of public avenues and it's simply a case of out of sight, out of mind.

I've always wondered where stuff seems to go. I look at Alex Ross for example. He does a pretty fair amount of work, sells all of it and yet I see none of it after it's sold. It's the same for other artists. Mark Bagley's run on USM. Spencer Beck sells all that art from his run, yet I never see where it ends up.....

This is just a small example, but shows that the comic art community (and comic books too) goes far beyond these boards...Or the CAF site.

Agreed. All you need to do is flip through the old Sotheby's and Christie's catalogs or the Jerry Weist price guide books to see that the cream of the OA world is buried in people's collections and haven't seen the light of day in years.

David

S

All the good art trades privately for several reasons. One of the reasons it that the prices are MUCH higher when you sell privately to the right buyer. Private sales make any sale at auction look like a bargain.

All the good art trades privately for several reasons. One of the reasons it that the prices are MUCH higher when you sell privately to the right buyer. Private sales make any sale at auction look like a bargain.

You're right that a lot of primo art trades privately at very high prices, but I think there's some selection bias going on there. For example, if you've got a nice McFarlane Spidey splash, for example, you probably know who the top few likely buyers are for it, so you contact them privately and make the sale instead of giving an auction house its cut.

However, I don't think that this method is inherently superior in producing much higher prices, nor do I think it always does. I don't know if this has happened to you, but how many times have you heard about a private transaction and thought, "Gee, I wish I had been contacted about that piece or that it had been made available publicly, because I would have paid at least that much, if not more, for it"? It's happened to me very recently regarding two pieces that people wouldn't necessarily have known I'd be interested in. :pullhair::frustrated:

Also, empirically speaking, the auction format has produced some startling prices for big-ticket comic books of late (not to mention fine art). In some cases it may be easier/better to sell privately but in others I think the auction format works just fine. :insane: