• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Comic Book Marketplace

66 posts in this topic

So tell me FT, are you a web developer? I'd love to know a bit more about the software you are using on your server -- did you buy a "shopping cart" package or write it from scratch?

thanks,

Bill

I am web design clueless, but if you click on the wnwebsolutions at the bottom it should take you to the guys I know and hired. I guess that is technically an ad but I told them they could keep it there.

If the site took off, how would you keep it free from pages of “ebay NMs” or Craiglist “old comics!” that are really moderns?

The main thing I want to prevent is outright fraud. I plan on having moderators that would have the ability to delete items. But in your examples I think its a fine line to censor items like that and my inclination would be to allow them at let the marketplace show what they think. One of the functions I use on the site is an "Item Comment" link where any user can post a comment about an item that anyone can see. So if its poorly graded or total fraud etc. you can post a comment. Try it on one of my posted items (You have to register to do this though.) and see what you think.

There is potential for abuse here but only after the site takes off. I can only hope problems like those are the ones I have to resolve.

Ed

You could have volunteer mods just delete the llistings as they are free that do that sort of stuff

Site seems cool. One thing though, I was screwing around and it seems like I am able to delete other peoples listings. Unless I'm just 'blocking' them so they dont show up in my search.

No it looks like you were deleting them. It looks to be fixed now but send me a PM if you can do that again. BTW, it was because the designers were updating the moderator roles so they opened up the ability for other folks to delete items.

It loaded right up for me on Firefox yesterday morning, however, last night and this morning, it just sits there and grinds, and doesn't load at all. :sorry:

It loaded right up for me on Firefox yesterday morning, however, last night and this morning, it just sits there and grinds, and doesn't load at all. :sorry:

You'll need to close your 20 open files....

Just kidding. Every now and then I have a similar problem and its hard to duplicate or see what the issue is. I can run things on Firefox just fine right now so its hard to say. I will bring it up as its not the first time, though it seems to affect Firefox more than Explorer.

One minor quibble...

I'd lose the extreme shadow effect. It's almost a 1st generation web design artifact :gossip:

Your logo and tagline will be much easier to read without it. The font choices aren't great either as some parts of your logo will drop out at smaller resolutions or in print. (The lower part of the C and e, etc.)

(Also, there seems to be a major problem with the usage of "its" and "it's".)

One minor quibble...

I'd lose the extreme shadow effect. It's almost a 1st generation web design artifact :gossip:

I'm going for the nostalgia affect. :blush:

I'll look at it without and see what it looks like.

Ed

If anyone has a few minutes, I'd like to see what people think when listing an item or more than one item.

Same with sending an internal message and posting an "item comment". It should only take two or three minutes.

Ed

Ed,

regarding the shadow on the logo, either drop it or split the difference, that is: cut the amount it extends down from behind the logo at least 50% so the shadow doesn't throw as far. The logo, given the light hues, is floating too much. There's a fine line between catchy and distracting. I'd go with more primary colors, and darken it up a tad.

If you have the logo in EPS format, email it to me and I'll take a stab at it.

Sean

I'm going to lose it out of embarrassment that its 1st generation. I'll see about changing the colors. I can't go too primary or it becomes an ebay copy. I wanted to add some color as the site is as skelton as I could make it which was purposefully done. But without offending Flee (who designed it - blame him) I'll send you the image and you can have a whack at it.

Ed

Looks like a great start so far.

My suggestions:

• Seperate the grade into its own column. I personally find it annoying looking for titles and seeing all the VFNM/NM-/VF- mashed in.
  • I'm assuming the grade can also be a CGC grade, not just VF+, etc. So searching by grade or grade ranges would be helpful.
  • Maybe a seperate category for the CGC graded versus raw catagories.
  • Since this isn't feeBay, buyers/sellers could use Google Checkout instead of PayPal.

Ed,

I did check the site out last night on Opera and Safari and it does have issues in both browsers. Lots of Javascript errors in Opera and doesn't really work at all in Safari.

You may at least want to have the person(s) building your site add a -script to detect what browser the user is using. That way, it can launch a warning if their browser is incompatible with the site. It may at least eliminate some frustration for anyone trying to access your site on a Mac.

I agree wholeheartedly with eliminating the shadow, it does make the site look a little dated.