• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Comic Book Marketplace

66 posts in this topic

Congrats Ed. Unfortunately, I'm in the Mac camp as well and can't view any listings. I want to make two self serving points tthough.

One, I'll add your search engine to ComicSeeker.com in the next day or so.

Second, I know there are already a couple of free listing sites out there already. And, listings is the common request for ComicSeeker.com. I've been slowly working on it, but not really sure how committed I am to launching it.

Good luck. It's great for the market.

One concern I have is that if there is no dispute moderation, then it looks like Paypal would then be the prefered method of payment. I don't use Paypal anymore, nor plan to ever again, so a potential buyer/seller like me would be hesitant to use this. :(

One problem I can see happening in the future is that once a criminal comes on board, suckers some people and then gets banned.... nothing prohibits them from coming back in with a different e-mail address. (Which is basically the only criteria for creating an account.)

For that matter, nothing prohibits them from running multiple sales with multiple fake accounts.

Ebay: ... Listing is surprisingly tedious.

Ed, it will be interesting to see how easy you've made listing, compared to eBay.

I agree about not throwing marketing dollars at it until the site is really, really prime-time ready. For instance, I have some ad campaigns ready to go but want to get more pictures and a new shopping cart on HOC first.

Marc

One problem I can see happening in the future is that once a criminal comes on board, suckers some people and then gets banned.... nothing prohibits them from coming back in with a different e-mail address. (Which is basically the only criteria for creating an account.)

For that matter, nothing prohibits them from running multiple sales with multiple fake accounts.

Oh, great point! Now I'd be even more hesitant. :eek:

It looks great.

Perhaps you should also promote it to small comic dealers and make some money off them to host them as an alternative to the high cost of setting up their own clunky websites (while they are busy on the road, I might add) and paying other guys for those sites and software packages.

It also be touted as an alternative to them using Feebay.

Ed let me take a look back in March - it looks like a good start (thumbs u

I'm certainly willing to give it a try....I keep wanting to sell some on the boards and haven't .....geeeezzz....I'll get around to it eventually :wishluck:

Just joined :banana::headbang:

Oh, great point! Now I'd be even more hesitant. :eek:

This is true, but there are ways to be a careful buyer. How many items are listed, types of pictures, etc. The item comment on the item itself is good for self policing. And ulitmately I plan on offereing an escrow service I just haven't set it up yet. That should cover most things. But ultimately a buyer needs to be careful and protect themselves either using paypal or an escrow service.

Not sure if this has been discussed, but one VITAL search function (to me at least) is to be able to sort by listing time/date.

Yes you can search Newest listing and Ending soon as well as the normal filters you might use on ebay: price, category and key word. There is a bug with the time it was listed but the date is still good.

Thank you to Filter81, Mutant Keys, Piper, House of Comics, Ciroac, Calamerica, Tec27kid, Fuelman, and Showcase-4 for giving it the once over. And a special thanks to Brent of Quality Comix.

Ed

:(

:blush: Very embarrassed.

And thank you for Flee for the sweet logo. Here were the other ones I didn't use.

proto1.jpg

proto3.jpg

proto4.jpg

Nice looking site!

I don't think it is too early to be thinking seriously about ways to monetize the site. I know you don't want to charge fees (sounds good to me!) but there are many ways you could monetize "under the radar."

If the site does start to take off your hosting fees will no longer be trivial. It can happen very quickly.

Drop me a PM if you want and I can share some things that have helped me out.

Congrats on starting the site and good luck!

Deucedriver