• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,446 posts in this topic

On 12/9/2018 at 11:48 AM, BladeTX said:

You have added all the International editions.  Yet that Registry only has US published books.  This seems inconsistent to me.  If it was a Global Registry (and maybe one should be created?), you would have issues in other languages.  Or maybe add only the ones in English language.   I’m not trying to complete this set but I don’t see how non-US versions make sense.

The Batman The Killing Joke has foreign editions in the registry.

image.png.8d7607099199f1e3e5c481f02e5a8e5e.png

OK, I'm baffled.  This TWD Forum has 39,424 posts.  Yet no one has posted on here in over 3 weeks.   I feel very disappointed.  The show has lost 80% of its viewers, going from a weekly level of 14 Million in Season 6 to just 2.5 Million viewers of the mid-season finale (the lowest mid-season total since Season 2).     I figured on here there would be a very engaged community of TWD lovers.    Nope - this is just as dead.  I've looked at Letter Hacks.  Back in Issue 19, there were 7 pages of Letter Hacks in a very small font.   Now each issue has 3-4 pages in very large font.   It all leads to a pretty dire future.   If the comic sees significant declines in purchases, Kirkman could very well make Issue 200 the last one, which would be a shame.

:hi:

Gave up on the TV show awhile back and haven't much missed it. I still read the comic each month, I liked the introduction of Princess and the new community, and the death of Dwight was a bit shocking!

I don't see Kirkman winding it up until he's ready, regardless of sales figures.

As an avid former fan, I first gave up on the television program when Negan arrived. Too dark, too painful to watch. It just wasn't entertaining anymore. I have recently stopped buying the comic also. I have totally lost interest and I honestly don't miss it. 

19 hours ago, BladeTX said:

OK, I'm baffled.  This TWD Forum has 39,424 posts.  Yet no one has posted on here in over 3 weeks.  

Theres not a lot to talk about when watching a ship sink...

Screenshot_20190127-105351_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ac1efd5cda3491b64fac4ac6324b594d.jpg

(thats GPA sales tracking for WD1 in CGC 9.8)

Lost abou 1/3 of its market value since its height in 2017.

While the thread is all WD, the board is a CGC board, so as the book goes so goes the discussion...

I remember Kirkman saying the comic would go to 300 issues and it would end around there. Definitely won’t wrap it up at 200. The comic isn’t that bad. 

I really enjoyed when Negan joined the tv show. That gut wrenching cliffhanger was rough, but the season opener was awesome. Near perfect. Yes, it scared some people away. Good. 

But sadly after a few more episodes I lost interest. They make too many episodes. If there were 10-12 per season I think it’d be easier to swallow. I’ll probably tune in for the next episode to see how the Whisperers turn out. 

Its funny how we always drag the show down (and obviously the numbers back it up) but this show always acts like it’s still the hottest sh** around and the cast is on top of the world. Yea, maybe 5 years ago. :eyeroll:

7 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Theres not a lot to talk about when watching a ship sink...

Screenshot_20190127-105351_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ac1efd5cda3491b64fac4ac6324b594d.jpg

(thats GPA sales tracking for WD1 in CGC 9.8)

Lost abou 1/3 of its market value since its height in 2017.

While the thread is all WD, the board is a CGC board, so as the book goes so goes the discussion...

I actually have a different POV on the chart you showed.   I have a background in business statistics.   There was a bubble 2016-2017.  Not sure why - hype for the franchise, speculators, who knows.  But if you look at the current price, it has been in that general area (control limit) since 2013.  It has just fallen back to prior levels.  What will be a lot more telling is where does this chart go over the next year?    We saw the collapse of the bubble - happens to Stocks about every 8-10 years.  The question is how solid is the floor on the most influential comic of the past 30 years?

2 minutes ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

I remember Kirkman saying the comic would go to 300 issues and it would end around there. Definitely won’t wrap it up at 200. The comic isn’t that bad. 

I really enjoyed when Negan joined the tv show. That gut wrenching cliffhanger was rough, but the season opener was awesome. Near perfect. Yes, it scared some people away. Good. 

But sadly after a few more episodes I lost interest. They make too many episodes. If there were 10-12 per season I think it’d be easier to swallow. I’ll probably tune in for the next episode to see how the Whisperers turn out. 

Its funny how we always drag the show down (and obviously the numbers back it up) but this show always acts like it’s still the hottest sh** around and the cast is on top of the world. Yea, maybe 5 years ago. :eyeroll:

Scott Gimple and the AMC powers-that-be destroyed the show by dragging AOW on for 2 full seasons.   I recall the episode where Rick was chasing Negan after he flipped his car.   Rick unloaded a full clip of automatic gunfire from his assault rifle and did not hit him.   Are you kidding me?  A trained law enforcement officer?   The only redeeming hope is I think the Whisperers are really going to up the game with the show.  So us diehard fans will enjoy it but I don't see the average viewer coming back.    As I've read about people leaving, it is because of the loss of characters they love, with Carl's departure causing a major drop.    I know in the comics main characters are killed all the time but I think the average TV viewer was not ready for that.  But I still love the comic and hope you are right about 300 issues.   I do recall Kirkman said he expected to go at least another 10 years.   That would be cool as long as they keep it interesting and unpredictable with fresh ideas.

12 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

I actually have a different POV on the chart you showed.   I have a background in business statistics.   There was a bubble 2016-2017.  Not sure why - hype for the franchise, speculators, who knows.  But if you look at the current price, it has been in that general area (control limit) since 2013.  It has just fallen back to prior levels.  What will be a lot more telling is where does this chart go over the next year?    We saw the collapse of the bubble - happens to Stocks about every 8-10 years.  The question is how solid is the floor on the most influential comic of the past 30 years?

yeah just being a little anti establishment.. I think this year is key for its long term life. Its been trendjng back down for the last 18 months back to its pre-bubble levels, but will the contitions favor it settling back at that level or will it continue to trend down? Does a show/book with fewer fans mean more people become sellers and thus drive the book down as they might not find as many buyers as they did in 2015-2017...

3 hours ago, miraclemet said:

yeah just being a little anti establishment.. I think this year is key for its long term life. Its been trendjng back down for the last 18 months back to its pre-bubble levels, but will the contitions favor it settling back at that level or will it continue to trend down? Does a show/book with fewer fans mean more people become sellers and thus drive the book down as they might not find as many buyers as they did in 2015-2017...

Yes.  Simple laws of Supply and Demand.   If there are less buyers, people will get frustrated not being able to sell and will lower prices.   Not everyone can sit on a $2K TWD #1 forever if they need the money now...

Seasons 7 and 8 killed the show for me. I love Jeffrey Dean-Morgan, and think he plays a terrific Negan, but the story was so dragged out in places while being overly-accelerated in others, plus sooo many pointless gunfights. It was stupid, and killed my interest in the franchise. Sure, it's been tempting once or twice to check it out again, but why? What for? Rick's gone, Carl's gone, Jesus' gone, Maggie's gone (for now). The show is gutted to me. I'd be going back for Aaron alone. I just can't do it. 

I've never really been that into the comic. I can easily see it's a quality product, but it's just not really my thing. I'm glad it exists, but it doesn't exist for me, if that makes sense. 

5 hours ago, Awax said:

I still read the comic.  Still watch the show. 

And 

enjoy both :banana:

There he is!

And regarding the lack of posting to this thread. I'm sure some of the old timers would agree, this thread never rebounded after the change over to the new CGC Forums a few years ago. The drop off after the change over was sudden and severe. 

-shawn