• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,446 posts in this topic

On 3/16/2019 at 5:07 PM, BladeTX said:

Eh, I did a couple minutes of science research on this and it depends on how much "give" that elevator had when he hit it..  All I know after watching a bunch of Mythbusters episodes is a 50g hit to your body (50 x gravity) will almost surely kill you - in addition to broken bones and such, your internal organs get messed up..   I found a gravity G calculator online, have to assume it is accurate.   The highest recorded g level and survival rate was a NASA test guy that held 46g for a few seconds.  Apparently he lived another 45 years without long tern effects.  If you fall 20 feet and stop extremely quickly (4 centimeters), it is 150g force, guaranteed deadly if you land flat (leg and spine compression would have more give).  But if that elevator had some give in the cables from Beta's weight, a 1 meter deceleration would only be 20g - easily survivable.   Sorry to get all geeky on ya'll.  Stephen got me started.  I'm blaming him!

Trust me. I have been blamed for much worse : - )

I just still think its fun that this is the scene in series 9 of a zombie apocalypse series that we (three) find so unbelievable.....

Tee hee...  And ditto (Ryan) - can't wait for the next instalment...

Edited by StephenWA

22 hours ago, BladeTX said:

Wow, that episode was incredible.  Just when I think it can’t get any better, they keep upping their game.  Will be a massive show hole after 2 weeks from now.

Really?

The whole series is a confusing jumble of messy time jumping, glaringly obvious endings, and now best-friend-stole-my-possibly-now-dead-kid-whilst-also-taking-everyone-elses-kids-whilst-leading-a-gang-of-killer-kids-and-killing-the-food-guy.

But hey-hoo, Judith says what Carl WOULD have said if they hadn't killed him off before he turned 18, and off we all go to the fair together.

Ever since all out war, the show has been an endless circle jerk of humans v humans with the odd character falling by the wayside.

Get back to the Zombies. Retake the world. Or even make the roads safe without resorting to hiring a bunch of overweight civil war re-enactors who's loyalty was bought by a guarantee of watching 'Pretty in Pink' on a  big screen.

Or at least remind Eugene to make some bloody bullets as everyone seems to have lost all their guns and ammo.

Great show going down quicker than Chew or Revival.

And the viewing figures show it (as does the total lack of interest on this once thriving thread - every episode would have 3 or 4 pages about it a few years ago)

Andrew Lincoln better be making some damn fine Zombie Movies. Or this franchise is toast within another season at most.

Currently - it's utter rubbish.

1 hour ago, Beige said:

Really?

The whole series is a confusing jumble of messy time jumping, glaringly obvious endings, and now best-friend-stole-my-possibly-now-dead-kid-whilst-also-taking-everyone-elses-kids-whilst-leading-a-gang-of-killer-kids-and-killing-the-food-guy.

But hey-hoo, Judith says what Carl WOULD have said if they hadn't killed him off before he turned 18, and off we all go to the fair together.

Ever since all out war, the show has been an endless circle jerk of humans v humans with the odd character falling by the wayside.

Get back to the Zombies. Retake the world. Or even make the roads safe without resorting to hiring a bunch of overweight civil war re-enactors who's loyalty was bought by a guarantee of watching 'Pretty in Pink' on a  big screen.

Or at least remind Eugene to make some bloody bullets as everyone seems to have lost all their guns and ammo.

And the viewing figures show it (as does the total lack of interest on this once thriving thread - every episode would have 3 or 4 pages about it a few years ago)

Andrew Lincoln better be making some damn fine Zombie Movies. Or this franchise is toast within another season at most.

Welp, I'll take a crack at this first.

Hater's gonna hate...but you seem to know an awful lot about it so you must have watched it.  So why watch it if you hate it so much?  If you can believe in a world where the dead come to life than surely you can buy the Civil War re-enactors protecting the road thing.  FWIW I liked the leader guy of that group but yeah those movies must be hella worth it!

Lastly, to say the show is going down quicker than Chew or Revival is laughable...Chew made it for a while and what, had some short-lived animated series thing, right?  But Revival burned out fast.  The show has been around much longer sooooooooo.....yeah.  2-3 years + 1-2 years is < 9 years.

So I ask again...if you hate it so much, why watch it? O.o

Like Tom, I loved the episode and now understand why Michonne didn't want to let new people in anymore...

Nothing to have a crack at bud.

You still like it, I don't.

Be a boring place if we all liked the same thing, right?

Judging by the number of posts about the episode some 36 hrs later on this thread, seems I'm not the only one to no longer enjoy it, or even have any interest in it.

If you are happy - keep right on brother, my opinion on the quality of the writing shouldn't affect your enjoyment in any way.

11 hours ago, Beige said:

Nothing to have a crack at bud.

You still like it, I don't.

Be a boring place if we all liked the same thing, right?

Judging by the number of posts about the episode some 36 hrs later on this thread, seems I'm not the only one to no longer enjoy it, or even have any interest in it.

If you are happy - keep right on brother, my opinion on the quality of the writing shouldn't affect your enjoyment in any way.

It doesn't - I have no problem hearing the criticism as I'm not a blind 'everything is awesome' Lego-movie mentality.  I have criticisms, too - I just don't think it's as bad as the people hating on it seem.  To me, this is the best season it's had in a while.  My problem is moreso the constant killing off of characters (in both the book and show) without purpose 

Spoiler

(Jesus in show, Ezekial in comic, Alpha & Beta not lasting long enough AT ALL in the comic), etc.

As far as quality goes, this season is much better IMO than at least the past 1-2 (and that includes All Out War).  The Whisperers could be much more grandiose in scale if the show keeps going down that road and I sincerely hope they maximize their villain potential.

On 3/13/2019 at 2:26 PM, BladeTX said:

Hey Big Clutch!   I heard you are a big shot at Skybound (thumbsu  I can use some inside knowledge.

When I first started collecting TWD, I really loved the Letter Hacks.  So much so that I back-collected the raw books to #30 while dipping my toe into the CGC-graded waters.  I read 97 to current with Letter Hacks in succession, it was fun to watch Sean and Robert steer people the wrong way when they guess the plot correctly, but was a bit concerned about reading the older books to not cause damage (LOL).    So I want to read Issue 2 to 96 in succession while reading the Letters / Letter Hacks.  I really would prefer not to buy all the books that were not reprinted #3 to #29.  So can you tell me if the inexpensive Walking Dead Weeklies have the same Letters as the originals?   Someone thought they had letters but they were new for the Weekly series, which would surprise me because I can't see Robert having the time to do Weekly letters on top of everything else in his usual workflow.  Or maybe there are no letters at all.  Can you clear this up for me?   I can't afford to back collect all the raw books and eBay grading is pretty bad anyway.   Or is there an online way to read the early issues and get Letter Hacks?  My original TWD exposure was Compendiums 1-3 and those things are huge without letters.

Hey!

I think the Weekly issues had the same LH in them, but they had some new commentary from Sina Grace at the start of the column.

-shawn

21 hours ago, Beige said:

Really?

Well if you feel that way, don’t watch it.  It’s a free country, if you have better things to do with your time (debatable), then stop watching and quit complaining.  As Kirkman has said TWD is not a Zombie show, it is about the interpersonal relationships within the construct of the apocalypse.   I’ll give you that Season 8 was a slow grind, but Season 9 is much better.   And an article in Forbes this week said TWD is so good again that people should come back.

Before:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2019/03/17/you-need-to-watch-tonights-episode-of-the-walking-dead-even-if-youve-quit-the-show/amp/

After:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2019/03/18/the-walking-dead-just-showed-it-doesnt-need-to-kill-major-characters-to-be-excellent/amp/

Oh yeah, and I thought Denai’s acting performance was Emmy-caliber work.

Edited by BladeTX
Added content

It's just a TV show.

I wasn't aware I wasn't allowed to criticise it.

Duly noted.

As you were.

ill chime in. im a big fan of the series and even a big fan of fear.  but this past season has been total trash.  ive never been more bored.  the stories are dull and not cohesive at all.  only thing redeeming right now is Negan which we get so little of.

why keep watching it?  well I have a lot of time invested with the property so even if its garbage I still want to know where it goes.  how much worse can it get, will it turn around, don't know unless you watch.  I also hate the argument of if you don't like something you cant comment.  if only the people who liked it watched the show than every comment would be positive.  that goes for everything.  to make an informed statement about anything good or bad you need to watch it to make said comment or else you have no merit.  so let people speak their mind.

I will say while the show is bad its still probably the best thing on sundays at 9pm.  again that's not saying much or mean its good, just better than award shows and baking championships that are on every channel.  but once sunday night football starts back up TWD get demoted to Monday dvr watching at 6pm.

Picked up a beautiful, unopened, copy of comic issue #1, TWD. (raw grade min. 9.8, possible 9.9.  My question is value. It is a RARE, Peruvian copy. Its not the 2012 Argentinian varient, it is the 2012, FIRST PRINTING March 2012, printed in PERU, distributed by Group Epensa, editor Vuk SAC. Looking for any help regarding value or Fair Market Value. Or where to turn to? Thanks in advance!

Seems even the writers thought....

Spoiler

the Highwaymen were a stupid idea..... 2 whole episodes :roflmao:

Total.Bottle.Job.

My whole family could name 3 of the Northern Fence. Even had to throw in some more non-linear sequences for some reason.

The comics had gone down the toilet by the time this happened and the show managed to get even this rare highlight completely wrong.

Killed some kids, Enid and Tara - not the BIG characters they killed in the comic.

Very weak.

I can't see this show lasting much longer without a major change of direction.

I don't think even Maggie and Rick returning in a fleet of attack helicopters full of Hershey Bars could save this turdburger now.

It's gotten so poor, it's sad to watch (and I still do - just clinging to the hope that the same magic of Seasons 1 - 3  can someday come back.)

Yeah. Have no idea why someone who thinks the show is now garbage would spend the time on it.  There’s plenty of other stuff on tv to watch if TWD show isn’t your cup of tea any longer.  

I still enjoy it and spend time watching. Still enjoy seeing the similarities of the comic translated on the small screen. 

20 hours ago, Beige said:

Seems even the writers thought....

Reveal hidden contents

the Highwaymen were a stupid idea..... 2 whole episodes :roflmao:

Total.Bottle.Job.

My whole family could name 3 of the Northern Fence. Even had to throw in some more non-linear sequences for some reason.

The comics had gone down the toilet by the time this happened and the show managed to get even this rare highlight completely wrong.

Killed some kids, Enid and Tara - not the BIG characters they killed in the comic.

Very weak.

I can't see this show lasting much longer without a major change of direction.

I don't think even Maggie and Rick returning in a fleet of attack helicopters full of Hershey Bars could save this turdburger now.

It's gotten so poor, it's sad to watch (and I still do - just clinging to the hope that the same magic of Seasons 1 - 3  can someday come back.)

:facepalm:

I'm glad you hope it comes back to meet your levels of expectations...and while the show doesn't maintain the same level of excitement from the mainstream audience that it used to it's ridiculous to call it...a 'turdburger.'  Do you really think AMC - as amazing as they are at producing quality shows like Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad (along with TWD) - would invest the time and energy into the spin-off movies if the show wasn't doing well enough to warrant it?  I mean, you're allowed to not like whatever you don't want.  For example, I don't like coffee but I can see the appeal of it for other people but you don't see me blasting it calling it 'poop-juice' on a forum online when there's no basis to do so...I mean, do you have some data to back up the 'turdburger' claim at least?  Any data to prove the level of awfulness you seem to think about it?

Like all the others on here, I don't understand why you'd still watch it just to blast it...if it's so bad all you're doing is helping the ratings by tuning in, you know?  Like I said earlier I can tell you want it to see it go back to the original standards you held it to but there are better ways to be critical of it to not incite the rest of us on here that do still enjoy and appreciate it is all I'm saying...

20 hours ago, BeeCee said:

Picked up a beautiful, unopened, copy of comic issue #1, TWD. (raw grade min. 9.8, possible 9.9.  My question is value. It is a RARE, Peruvian copy. Its not the 2012 Argentinian varient, it is the 2012, FIRST PRINTING March 2012, printed in PERU, distributed by Group Epensa, editor Vuk SAC. Looking for any help regarding value or Fair Market Value. Or where to turn to? Thanks in advance!

Other than searching completed sales on eBay I'm not sure what direction to point you in...it's hard to say something is a possible 9.9 when those are so hard to come by...best bet would be to advertise it as a solid 9.8 with good pics to back it up.  The best way to tell FMV is to list it at 0.99 cents and just let it ride...but that's a risk of course depending on what you have invested in it...

this season is by far one of the best, not sure what planet the critics are living on. With gimple doing other stuff (Still not sure how he is the head of TWD universe) the show has gotten back to its glory days, the quality is even better.