• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,446 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Sensei Ryan said:

I'm going to agree and disagree.  The sale prices of #1 in CGC 9.8 Black or White label have been consistent at around the $1800-2K mark for a LONG time...a few years in fact.  So there's no new 'dip' in value for the #1 at least.  However, I have seen a gradual decline in sales of all the common graded 9.8 issues (non-keys) and in many of the other keys as well (but many of those, too, hold their value).  It seems that once a character is killed off - on the show at least - their first appearances and other key books are tied to the popularity decrease but still they maintain value that was higher prior to the blowup from the show appearances.  To me, #1 will always stay strong.  When I first started tracking #1 sales it was when they would sell for around $1,200 and I kept waiting for them to decrease back to that price range but never did and that was over 6 years ago.  That 4K sale you referenced was a 1-off and not consistent from the 'boom' of which they were averaging $2200-$3200 in price range (with the SS 9.8's being in the 3.2K range)  

Anything can happen, but I don't ever see this book dropping below - at worst - $1,500 and that would still be hard for me to believe considering the low print run and overall rarity of this issue compared to the higher printed Marvel & DC modern runs for first print, non-variant keys.

Very fair points.

I had 5 x 9.8 over the years - bought my first one for $60, and I remember fondly buying here in Australia #1 - #48 for $1000 AUD.

I sold off all 5 around the $1200 - $1800 mark each - and very much like you, kept an eye on the market.

I do agree that #1 will always have legs - and I also agree that your long term prognosis is spot on.

I think there will be a period of panic sales (because 2K is a lot of money to most people) if this downward trend continues - and then slow climb back which will continue long after the show/comic has finished.

I'm probably more bullish and see this as a $3000 book down the line - it's an iconic book which spawned at least 3 TV shows, 3 movies, web-series etc.

That history will be remembered later I think.

I also think #2 and #3 will keep $1000+ values later, plus possibly #19 - the amount of 1st apps in #2 (CARL, GLENN, LORI) and #3 ( CAROL,ANDREA AND DALE plus some minors Sophia,Amy etc) are astounding, and for me are as important, if not moreso than #1 (RICK+MORGAN)

#3 being a $400 book ($330 low sale this year) is absurd considering the characters that are still going in both the comic and TV show!

Totally agree about #27, #61, #92 etc being footnotes (Gov Gabe and Jesus I think from memory) and I really wouldn't want to be holding a heap of slabbed books outside those 4 above unless it's a personal collection scenario.

FYI - there have been at least 3 sales over $4000 blue 9.8

In short we both are on the same track.

I can see #1 taking a bigger hit after the show/movies finish - then a gradual climb up to $3000

I see #2 and #3 taking a very slight hit (I actually still think they are undervalued), and then climbing.

#19 I'm not sure. That could hit $150 and stay there.

As a matter of interest how much longer does the original show have in your opinion?  Fear is actually better this season (and thats saying something) than the original...

And the comic?  I genuinely am struggling to name characters in either medium outside the original band of heroes.

And that's really sad to me.

15 minutes ago, Beige said:

Very fair points.

I had 5 x 9.8 over the years - bought my first one for $60, and I remember fondly buying here in Australia #1 - #48 for $1000 AUD.

I sold off all 5 around the $1200 - $1800 mark each - and very much like you, kept an eye on the market.

I do agree that #1 will always have legs - and I also agree that your long term prognosis is spot on.

I think there will be a period of panic sales (because 2K is a lot of money to most people) if this downward trend continues - and then slow climb back which will continue long after the show/comic has finished.

I'm probably more bullish and see this as a $3000 book down the line - it's an iconic book which spawned at least 3 TV shows, 3 movies, web-series etc.

I also think #2 and #3 will keep $1000+ values later, plus possibly #19 - the amount of 1st apps in #2 (CARL, GLENN, LORI) and #3 ( CAROL,ANDREA AND DALE plus some minors Sophia,Amy etc) are astounding, and for me are as important, if not moreso than #1 (RICK+MORGAN)

#3 being a $400 book ($330 low sale this year) is absurd considering the characters that are still going in both the comic and TV show!

Totally agree about #27, #61, #92 etc being footnotes (Gov Gabe and Jesus I think from memory) and I really wouldn't want to be holding a heap of slabbed books outside those 4 above unless it's a personal collection scenario.

I can see #1 taking a bigger hit after the show/movies finish - then a gradual climb up to $3000

I see #2 and #3 taking a very slight hit (I actually still think they are undervalued), and then climbing.

As a matter of interest how much longer does the original show have in your opinion?  Fear is actually better this season (and thats saying something) than the original...

And the comic?  I genuinely am struggling to name characters in either medium outside the original band of heroes.

What did you mean by #27 being a footnote, I'm not too familiar with that term...

#27 & #100 are the only ones I own lol

I always liked the cover of #27 :shy:

46 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

What did you mean by #27 being a footnote, I'm not too familiar with that term...

#27 & #100 are the only ones I own lol

I always liked the cover of #27 :shy:

Once the Guv died the price declined as a result - once a solid $300 book is now a $200 book, you get the drift.

Just re-inforces Ryans points above really.

Nice book to own for your own collection, but if you were keeping it for $$ reasons, not such a good idea. Same as 1st Abe, Jesus etc

I agree, it's a really cool cover!

d277286ef77354550bf0ef7dd3cfdec1.jpg.d08f0a2d39b48fe5bc2a6e9339786c28.jpg

19 hours ago, Sensei Ryan said:

These have dried up on the secondary market and did so quickly after release (kind of how the Hero Initiative covers did but there were 4 times of those available, at least).  I saw numerous of the 25 come up for sale either at auction or fixed price (and only 2 that were already graded) so maybe at most 11 came up for sale (I'm assuming the rest were kept by the finders of them).  When one pops up you should def try to go for it, whatever character it happens to be.  The only 'character' sketches I saw go up for sale were Rick, Andrea, Glenn and the rest were walkers (it would be nice to know how many characters there were in all of the sketches).  There was one up for a long time after for a ridiculous amount and it eventually sold (I'm just not sure for how much).

I know the story of the one up for ages (8000 GBP or 10000 GBP, I recall). I was sold privately within a batch of slabbed comics. Same guy I bought my 9.8SS Survivor Guides from. I will go for it if I see one for sale. If you see same, I'd be pleased for a heads up. Cheers, Stephen

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:19 PM, Beige said:

Once the Guv died the price declined as a result - once a solid $300 book is now a $200 book, you get the drift.

Just re-inforces Ryans points above really.

Nice book to own for your own collection, but if you were keeping it for $$ reasons, not such a good idea. Same as 1st Abe, Jesus etc

I agree, it's a really cool cover!

d277286ef77354550bf0ef7dd3cfdec1.jpg.d08f0a2d39b48fe5bc2a6e9339786c28.jpg

I had something cool happen on this book.  An online dealer was selling #27 on eBay with Kirkman and Adlard signatures.  He stuck pretty firm to $400 which was a bit more than I wanted to pay and we ended up I think at $375.   Book arrives and it is 3 signatures - Kirkman, Adlard AND Rathburn.   Entire creative team since Adlard was doing covers and inks then.  Rathburn gray tones.   I was very pleasantly surprised.

6 hours ago, BladeTX said:

I had something cool happen on this book.  An online dealer was selling #27 on eBay with Kirkman and Adlard signatures.  He stuck pretty firm to $400 which was a bit more than I wanted to pay and we ended up I think at $375.   Book arrives and it is 3 signatures - Kirkman, Adlard AND Rathburn.   Entire creative team since Adlard was doing covers and inks then.  Rathburn gray tones.   I was very pleasantly surprised.

I had a look at some of your books in the Registry last night. You have some AWESOME books in your TWD set! I agree with you - that #2 with the fine sketch is very nice.

On 6/16/2019 at 10:19 PM, Beige said:

Very fair points.

All good points and I am jealous to hear your story about having so many raw #'s to start with (wish I could have had that happen to me!) :) 

I agree that #2 will hold it's value (both prints) but #3 just doesn't seem to have the same steam.  However, I agree with you that it SHOULD be up there in value even with #2.  #2, though, could skyrocket if Carl becomes the major protagonist and if so then watch out for the values on that one!

I love the novels (first three) that focused on the Governor...and so wish he'd have lasted longer than 48 issues.  But yes, not that he's gone, unless there is a movie reboot with him in it (and a major big screen reboot and not just for TV or an HBO type thing were we're not inhibited by cable standards) then it could go back up, too.  I do think #19 will always hold it's $350-$500 range and if it did fall to 150 then I'd probably be really really sad lol .

As far as the show goes, I like FEAR but nowhere near as much as TWD.  I just can't get into it and the season where everything looks gray is annoying to me.  I enjoyed season 2-3 but season 4 was SOOOOO hard to get through for me.  I've almost finished EP 1 of S5 and it does look better so far.  I do think Alicia needs to lose the stupid broken rusted gun thing because it's just not selling me as a good practical weapon (was it that or the propeller blade she used in that episode?  Either way, she needs to upgrade).  I think to answer your ? about the original show, though, that it will be around for a long while...I just hope it doesn't become like the Simpsons and last 30 seasons to become stale.  I'm more than okay with it stopping for a while and then coming back with a surge of new interest.  I always tell Tom when we talk that I'd be more than fine with re-casts of the actors (like a soap opera) instead of killing off the character.  To me, the Actor doesn't make the character necessarily.  Think about it...Hugh Jackman can't be Wolverine forever so does that mean Wolverine should die off forever?  Heck no, replace him and move on with another actor to keep the character alive.  That to me would make the show better...so we don't keep diverging so far away from the comic and keep the iconic characters around.  That would be better than having Maggie 'disappear' or Andrea die (or Michonne leave), etc.

I love the comic still and wish we could get it bi-monthly.  Maybe that's just me, though, but it's all I go to the comic store for anymore (besides the Amazing Spiderman and it's a struggle to keep buying to be honest).

-SR

PS - I hope to see The Walking Dead in premium big screen movie format some day (with a reboot and sequels, etc) - THAT would be amazing!  Rated R, of course! :) 

On 6/18/2019 at 5:21 AM, StephenWA said:

I had a look at some of your books in the Registry last night. You have some AWESOME books in your TWD set! I agree with you - that #2 with the fine sketch is very nice.

Thanks!  My final goal will be 2xSS or more on every book 1-50 with Kirkman and at least 1 artists - cover or interior. 

Yeah I love that sketch on #2 because Tony used a fine artist’s pen so it is more detailed than most.  It is the icon I use here on the chat boards.

Ryan, you've become quite the WD collector my friend. 

I've been out of the forum scene forever, and was surprised to find JamesJ sold off his insane collection, most of which came from me lol

Happy to see you're a true fan and have stuck with your goal of building the ultimate WD set :golfclap:

On 6/18/2019 at 3:16 PM, Sensei Ryan said:

As far as the show goes, I like FEAR but nowhere near as much as TWD.  I just can't get into it and the season where everything looks gray is annoying to me.  I enjoyed season 2-3 but season 4 was SOOOOO hard to get through for me.  I've almost finished EP 1 of S5 and it does look better so far.  I do think Alicia needs to lose the stupid broken rusted gun thing because it's just not selling me as a good practical weapon (was it that or the propeller blade she used in that episode?  Either way, she needs to upgrade).  I think to answer your ? about the original show, though, that it will be around for a long while...I just hope it doesn't become like the Simpsons and last 30 seasons to become stale.  I'm more than okay with it stopping for a while and then coming back with a surge of new interest.  I always tell Tom when we talk that I'd be more than fine with re-casts of the actors (like a soap opera) instead of killing off the character.  To me, the Actor doesn't make the character necessarily.  Think about it...Hugh Jackman can't be Wolverine forever so does that mean Wolverine should die off forever?  Heck no, replace him and move on with another actor to keep the character alive.  That to me would make the show better...so we don't keep diverging so far away from the comic and keep the iconic characters around.  That would be better than having Maggie 'disappear' or Andrea die (or Michonne leave), etc.

I love the comic still and wish we could get it bi-monthly.  Maybe that's just me, though, but it's all I go to the comic store for anymore (besides the Amazing Spiderman and it's a struggle to keep buying to be honest).

-SR

PS - I hope to see The Walking Dead in premium big screen movie format some day (with a reboot and sequels, etc) - THAT would be amazing!  Rated R, of course! :) 

I have enjoyed TWD on TV since it started and haven't been into the comic at all until recent (thanks Tom).  With that TWD will stay the primary focus for my love of the shows, Fear I disliked at first, I absolutely hated Travis and half expected them to bring him back.  I was amazed they nixxed Madison, but not ever actually showing her dead could mean they could bring her back in some mystical way.  The hardest of the Fear deaths was Nick, I felt he was unkillable.  But then they made Rick out to be very killable and then didn't kill him on the show.  And yes, Alicia definitely needs an upgrade, I think give her a rocket launcher or a BFG3000.  I am glad though they brought Morgan over and hope Dwight continues to shine with that ugly mug as well.  I am concerned on what they will do when Michonne is done.  Maybe they could put more focus on Negan and Judith?

Where I disagree with you is recasts, in normal comic universes yes you could recast them and move on.  But when a character is done in TWD or Fear, they die (normally).  And there is no coming back from that in this world.  Unlike in the normal comic universe where death is reversible or they just simple reboot the universe.

I could see at some point if they rewrite/reboot TWD or if Kirkman writes a Fear comic series, then, a new show with new actors could be appropriate.

Maybe instead of bimonthly he does TWD and Fear monthly?  Just stagger them appropriately.  That would also allow for crossovers like they are doing in the show.

As for big screen movies.  I wish the Rick movies would be big screen instead of made for TV AMC ones.  He could do so much more that way and yes it could be rated R at that point.

On 6/20/2019 at 7:50 PM, bass4punk said:

Ryan, you've become quite the WD collector my friend. 

I've been out of the forum scene forever, and was surprised to find JamesJ sold off his insane collection, most of which came from me lol

Happy to see you're a true fan and have stuck with your goal of building the ultimate WD set :golfclap:

Hey Chang!

Thank you very much for the kind words, my friend! :)  Building the set has been a labor of love and I plan on strengthening it even further as we progress on down the road...it's been a long journey and I remember your killer sales (sadly I missed out on many the first go-round but I ended up getting some from you if I recall correctly!)

I hope all is well in Louisville!  I imagine you're getting the same incessant amounts of rain we get here lol - stay dry, my friend!  Wish me luck on staying on top as it's a hard spot to maintain for sure!  Thanks again :) 

Ryan

8 hours ago, Crops068 said:

I have enjoyed TWD on TV since it started and haven't been into the comic at all until recent (thanks Tom).  With that TWD will stay the primary focus for my love of the shows, Fear I disliked at first, I absolutely hated Travis and half expected them to bring him back.  I was amazed they nixxed Madison, but not ever actually showing her dead could mean they could bring her back in some mystical way.  The hardest of the Fear deaths was Nick, I felt he was unkillable.  But then they made Rick out to be very killable and then didn't kill him on the show.  And yes, Alicia definitely needs an upgrade, I think give her a rocket launcher or a BFG3000.  I am glad though they brought Morgan over and hope Dwight continues to shine with that ugly mug as well.  I am concerned on what they will do when Michonne is done.  Maybe they could put more focus on Negan and Judith?

Where I disagree with you is recasts, in normal comic universes yes you could recast them and move on.  But when a character is done in TWD or Fear, they die (normally).  And there is no coming back from that in this world.  Unlike in the normal comic universe where death is reversible or they just simple reboot the universe.

I could see at some point if they rewrite/reboot TWD or if Kirkman writes a Fear comic series, then, a new show with new actors could be appropriate.

Maybe instead of bimonthly he does TWD and Fear monthly?  Just stagger them appropriately.  That would also allow for crossovers like they are doing in the show.

As for big screen movies.  I wish the Rick movies would be big screen instead of made for TV AMC ones.  He could do so much more that way and yes it could be rated R at that point.

To clarify what I meant by re-casts, I didn't mean replacing the character after the fact - that would be dumb and I agree with you not viable.  I meant, when an actor is leaving for other opportunities or just quitting, replace them from one season to the next without killing off the character.  Your'e right, no one returns without a reboot in the TWD universe as it's not a super-hero story but to me, Rick or Maggie or Glenn are more valuable than the actors who play them...just like Wolverine is being replaced (and Batman or Superman have over the years), we can't realistically have only one Rick Grimes for the rest of the TWD mythos (if that makes sense).  I just wanted to clarify what I meant by that.  And you're right, no one would like to see Rick 'change' from one season to the next but if that's what it takes then that's okay with me, you know?

But I completely agree, we need a big-screen R rated movie with a big budget...that would be wicked awesome!

I also agree with your idea on two separate titles...it's high time for a 2nd Walking Dead series! :wishluck:

Yeah, Fear continues to be quite watchable.

Love John Dorie and June - Dwight got a bit preachy in his intro - the long speeches were driving me nuts on Fear (along with the terrible plot/-script) in the early series.

But Travis? - he was good, especially his Bear Pit ending. Maddy changed for the better as did Nick as the show went on.And they died at the right time (Kim Dickens isn't ever coming back - shooting new show on Showtime - maybe a flashback but not 'as alive')

Strand was always good.

Alicia has been well fleshed out into a 'Carol' type killer. 

Daniel is a ridiculous character and needs to go - he serves no purpose at all, and Luciana needs to find a 'character role' - she's just too inconsistent, weak one minute, then surviving a plane crash and a car crash and soldiering on the next.I'm more than happy for her to be killed off.

I have no idea what the hell the brewer guy, the disabled truckie and his female friend bought to the show (besides beer).And truck driving.I guess they needed 'numbers' to have a viable group to 'help' people.

Hopefully new survivors will replace the weaker actors  and a solid 'core' will form.

Kind of like the Original Walking Dead crew seasons 1-4.

I like Al's attempt to record stuff and the fact they use that as a resource. I like he fact they save when they can and kill when they have to. I like the fact they aren't going back to Alexandria.

I do worry Maggie Grace is such a good and in-demand actress that 'Fear' may lose her.

I hate it when they just leave a fully armoured, heavily armed SWAT vehicle unattended every week!

And lose a plane!

For me, this is the key season - get this right and this over takes the original show.

With so many departures I can actually see TWD ending and any remaining cast crossing into 'Fear' - Michonne, Maggie,Rick et al leaving means the show really hangs on Carol and Daryl - both of whom are in their 50's now in real life, and really can't be expected to perform action roles much longer.

Maybe this is the plan for the 3rd show - the actors who survive this season of TWD join 'Fear'.

I'd like to see only a few - Aaron,Yumiko,Alden,Eugene and Rosita - that's a nice cross-section of characters from Pre-Alexandria (Rosita,Eugene), Alexandria (Aaron), The Saviours (Alden) and the time-jump (Yumiko) joining another Saviour (Dwight) and the only original Left (MORGAN - also in #1 of the comic).

Perfect symmetry.

TWD finishes with the 3 Andrew Lincoln led movies

A new series takes its place.

Kinda makes sense.

However if this season of 'Fear' reverts to previous form.....then the future is quite bleak.

BUT - 'Fear' is by far the best it's been since the beginning and I'm actually finding myself looking forward to it. So hopefully that's the plan - wrap up TWD, amalgamate with 'Fear', show the movies, start new show.

So this is a bit off-topic, but I have been meaning to broach this topic with my fellow TWD collectors for a while (Tom - BladeTX and I have discussed it at length, at least) but I HATE seeing stuff like this (see links below to the eBay auctions).

Now I'm as big of a TWD fan as I can imagine one would be but I think this is a form of elder abuse and manipulation and have zero respect for both the commissioner and artist who does stuff like this.  Stan Lee, in his twilight years, would be manipulated into signing blank covers only to find out later that he's been zombiefied or turned into a walker getting bashed by Negan (just a couple that I've seen - the Negan smashing Stan cover is the most shameful one I've seen).  I get it that it's crazy cool to have a Stan Lee sig but not at the cost of manipulating an elderly person just to pull a ruse and turn a profit or flip a book.  The only way I would feel different about this is if I KNEW that Stan understood what was going down and gave it his blessing but I've yet to see proof of this. And seeing the sigs on the backs of the book or on the label saying Stan signed it first with the art to come later is SHADY and wrong.  I would never buy something like this...having seen and known many elderly people in my life - many of whom have dealt with dementia and Alzheimer's disease, this is just shameful. 2c

I suspect some buyers don't realize that Stan either didn't see the art first or didn't know what he was being conned into signing...so the blame is more on the artist/commissioners than anyone else, IMO.

Stan Lee sig on back (but apparently CGC forgot to denote it on the label)

Signed by Stan BEFORE the art went on the book...

Signed by Stan on the back - same day as the art but I'm betting Stan either never saw the front or signed after the art...

Note the grossly inflated prices on the books, too.  Maybe I'm alone on this but I just feel disgusted by it.  The only way I'd feel different - like I said - is if I knew he knew what was happening with the book (like seeing a pic of him smiling and holding it would even make me feel better about it but I feel manipulation was the main way these sketches went down).

Sorry for the rant...this has just bothered me for years and these popped up much more frequently after he passed.  I typically don't rock the boat with my opinions but I loathe and despise any form of what I believe is elder abuse or manipulation.

I've got no problems with the eBay samples you've provided.  There's a difference between those (homages) and the ones with him getting bashed in the head by Neegan.  Homages pay respect to a person in the vein of the genre (in this case Walking Dead/Horror).  The Neegan bashing one is a violent portrayal of a living person (or at least he was alive at the time those were made).  To me the difference lies in the fact that once the Neegan ones came out and Stan's team became aware of it, that's when Stan stopped signing blank covers because they knew it could be manipulated in a negative way.

The issue stems more from the seller trying to profit off the book and how we interpret the art given nothing other than what we know today (Stan's passing).  If you look at it in context though, you'll notice those pieces were all completed years ago when Stan was still alive.  As such, the artists must have not had any ill will or heinous intentions.  Honestly, I can't imagine Stan being upset about it.  "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

2 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I've got no problems with the eBay samples you've provided.  There's a difference between those (homages) and the ones with him getting bashed in the head by Neegan.  Homages pay respect to a person in the vein of the genre (in this case Walking Dead/Horror).  The Neegan bashing one is a violent portrayal of a living person (or at least he was alive at the time those were made).  To me the difference lies in the fact that once the Neegan ones came out and Stan's team became aware of it, that's when Stan stopped signing blank covers because they knew it could be manipulated in a negative way.

The issue stems more from the seller trying to profit off the book and how we interpret the art given nothing other than what we know today (Stan's passing).  If you look at it in context though, you'll notice those pieces were all completed years ago when Stan was still alive.  As such, the artists must have not had any ill will or heinous intentions.  Honestly, I can't imagine Stan being upset about it.  "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

I would have no problems with those 3 examples either if I knew Stan knew what he was signing beforehand.  When the artist is given credit AFTER Stan's sig, it's shady and wrong in my opinion.  I agree, imitation is flattery, and it is possible Stan would be totally cool with it.  As I loved the Marvel Zombies line myself he most likely would have thought it was cool.  However, even those these examples aren't as bad as the Negan ones bashing him, they represent an elderly man who may not have realized what he was signing.  Like I said in my first post - I may be alone in feeling this way about it but any form of manipulating the elderly...ANYONE that is elderly, famous or not, is wrong in my opinion.  And unless the artist did the sketch for free, they profit off it, too, so to me they are no better than the flipper trying to sell it.  Lastly, yes - they were completed while he was alive...but they were sketched after he signed it.  Alive or not, if his sig came before the sketch, that's not cool in my opinion.  It's more than okay to disagree with me , of course, but had Stan's sig had come AFTER the sketch on any of these (or any of the ones I've seen be worse than these), I'd not be saying anything about this or these 3 sketches at all.

It reminds me of the documentaries made by Michael Moore where he manipulates people into being on camera than exploits them.  Deserved or not, manipulating people for profit is just not cool to me for any reason.  Just my 2c, though.

14 minutes ago, Sensei Ryan said:

I would have no problems with those 3 examples either if I knew Stan knew what he was signing beforehand.  When the artist is given credit AFTER Stan's sig, it's shady and wrong in my opinion.  I agree, imitation is flattery, and it is possible Stan would be totally cool with it.  As I loved the Marvel Zombies line myself he most likely would have thought it was cool.  However, even those these examples aren't as bad as the Negan ones bashing him, they represent an elderly man who may not have realized what he was signing.  Like I said in my first post - I may be alone in feeling this way about it but any form of manipulating the elderly...ANYONE that is elderly, famous or not, is wrong in my opinion.  And unless the artist did the sketch for free, they profit off it, too, so to me they are no better than the flipper trying to sell it.  Lastly, yes - they were completed while he was alive...but they were sketched after he signed it.  Alive or not, if his sig came before the sketch, that's not cool in my opinion.  It's more than okay to disagree with me , of course, but had Stan's sig had come AFTER the sketch on any of these (or any of the ones I've seen be worse than these), I'd not be saying anything about this or these 3 sketches at all.

It reminds me of the documentaries made by Michael Moore where he manipulates people into being on camera than exploits them.  Deserved or not, manipulating people for profit is just not cool to me for any reason.  Just my 2c, though.

I'm still not comprehending the basis for this.  So then do you take issue with his handlers for how they mistreated him in the waning years of his life?  Or do you take issue with the artists?  As I see it, the artists haven't done anything wrong.  Whatever profit they make from providing the service of drawing the piece is no different than any other sketch drawing they do.  Heck, one of those pieces you listed is Skottie Young, famed writer/artist who has done many MANY variants for Marvel.  I guess I'm not seeing how (in these particular cases), the timing of the sketch is relevant in any way.

(NOTE: when i refer to artists, i'm referring to the homage pieces, not the Negan ones...I'll go on the record saying I dislike those and think they're in poor taste).

On 6/16/2019 at 10:19 PM, Beige said:

Very fair points.

#19 I'm not sure. That could hit $150 and stay there, do you mean that the 9.8 cgc graded issue 19 thats going for 700-to 750 will drop to 150 eventually after the shows over?!!!

Looking to buy a Walking Dead CGC 9.8 First Print non signed for 2300, If Signed by Robert kirkman the 9.8 cgc signature series i'd pay 2500-2600 hell maybe less. If anyone has one there looking too sell online specifically through ebay, and can meet those numbers than i'd do business with you but the case has to be in flawless condition i think that goes without saying. Msg me if you need any details etc. Walking Dead is the only comic i read and collect i have every issue except issue 1 first print issue 2,4 and 5 btw.

1 hour ago, GoldenGod87 said:

Looking to buy a Walking Dead CGC 9.8 First Print non signed for 2300, If Signed by Robert kirkman the 9.8 cgc signature series i'd pay 2500-2600 hell maybe less. If anyone has one there looking too sell online specifically through ebay, and can meet those numbers than i'd do business with you but the case has to be in flawless condition i think that goes without saying. Msg me if you need any details etc. Walking Dead is the only comic i read and collect i have every issue except issue 1 first print issue 2,4 and 5 btw.

Read the Rules/Guidelines and then post your request there.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/50-comics-market-want-to-buy/