• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,446 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, GoldenGod87 said:

#19 I'm not sure. That could hit $150 and stay there, do you mean that the 9.8 cgc graded issue 19 thats going for 700-to 750 will drop to 150 eventually after the shows over?!!!

I sure as hell hope not.  My #19 is 2xSS with a Moore sketch.  Great looking book and I did not pay a crazy price given Moore charges $200 for a sketch.  Unless of course no one cares anymore.

I also had a 9.8 U that I traded for other signed books, even had it reholdered to the new fen version.  Still wish I had that to display in my office and if they ever go below $400, I’m buying.

11 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I don't think anyone's changing your stance on this, but I think it's fair to say you're probably in the minority on this one.  Had someone gone ahead and gotten Stan's sig and then written "I hate Marvel" over it, I'm pretty sure that would have been grounds for his handlers ceasing the signing of blank covers, much like with what happened after the Negan covers came to light.  You say Stan is being exploited and that other artists are profiting off of it.  First off, I have to wonder if you realize how little artists make.  The work they get is inconsistent, and from what I've seen on social media, the pay doesn't sound like it's all that great unless your name happens to be Jim Lee, J Scott Campbell, Artgerm, or some other big time artist.  That's why a lot of smaller artists have commission lists, because they have the time and they need the money.  Secondly, if you're upset about artists profiting, then you should be upset about commissioned pieces in general.  The artists don't own the copyrights to any of the characters and thus have no legal right to draw and/or profit from the artwork.  To me, these pieces are labors of love and respect.  If Skottie Young drew a baby Stan Lee piece, would it be any different?  Or is it disrespectful because it portrays Stan as a big baby?  I think you're hung up on the fact that he's gone and that these images happen to portray him as a zombie.  Is this a feeling you've carried the last 5 years (or however long when the first commission was done)?  If you're consistent about it, that's great.  But if this is something that has only been an issue the last year, then I have to wonder why now?  What changed?  I mean, you're free to have an opinion and it's great to have a respectful discourse, I'm just going to have to politely disagree with you on this.

Whether I'm in the minority or not is irrelevant to me...and this has been an issue to me for years as it was years ago that I first noted those Negan bashing Stan art pieces (this wasn't long after Negan first appeared for when they reared their heads).  The Why now is easily answered is that I keep seeing the same unsold ones pop up on ebay as I search TWD books multiple times daily and while it's always bothered me, I just now took the time to write up a post about it.  Since only 3 people have responded about this (me, you, and Tom), it's clear that it's not the end of the world type of an issue and I never said it was.  As comic collectors, we live in fantasy and thrive on it, dark, gory, raunchy, whatnot.  To me, Stan was a real person who deserves better than to be manipulated into signing ANYTHING prior to knowing what is going to be done, specifically when it would be a sketch of himself.  That bothers me more than the zombie Stan image itself.  Once again, for the 4th time, had he seen the sketch and then signed it I'd have never even brought this up.  Go check out the same links I provided and note the date discrepancies...this has been my issue from the beginning, regardless of whether or no zombie Stan is in good taste.

And my issue is more with the consigner than the artists but to me both share in the blame...and I don't think the artists are rolling in the dough for it.  If I were an artist, there would be lines I wouldn't cross for any freelance work (whether they make a dime or 10K on this art, though, it's still wrong to me).  I feel - and it's my opinion and I'm entitled to share it - that representing a dead Stan Lee in the waning years of his life and/or dead - is disrespectful to him and his family.  I moreso feel this way because I've not seen the sketches done prior to his signing.  If you can show me one where there is a zombie sketch of Stan and then he's signed it after seeing the sketch I'll withdraw my feelings toward this and tbh there may be one found through a simple google search...but of all the ones I've seen pop up on eBay, I've yet to see it myself be his sig after the sketch.  Manipulating the elderly, again, to me, is not okay in any form.  And Stan was clearly elderly from the time Negan appeared - which is when these started popping up - till his death. 2c  Like I said, though, Stan may love the heck out of something like this but based on what I've read - at least about the Negan ones - he didn't.  And I don't care how big of a name artist we have doing stuff like this...to me, it's wrong.

I'm more than okay with disagreement...I don't mind friendly debate.  We can agree to disagree.  I've seen what age can do to a person firsthand and I've seen real A-holes take advantage of people in those golden years.  This clearly happened with Stan and this was just a minor part of that time period.  Oh, and to address your baby argument, Stan yes could find that disrespectful, too...but I doubt his family or people close to him would see a pic of him as a baby and him as a zombie and see they evoke the same emotions.  To counter your argument, let's say that they drew a living Stan attacking Jack Kirby.  It's a fine line between representing someone in a fun or light or respectful manner and one in a tasteless one.  Zombie Stan - unless he's cool with it - is distasteful to me and the only way I'd relent on that is seeing him hold the sketch, or sign the sketch, or a pic of one of the two proving he knew what he was signing.  Show me that and I'll still feel it was uncool to manipulate him on the ones that came after but I'lll feel less passionate about it ;) 

18 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

Hey Ryan,

Yeah thanks for the heads-up on these, I feel the same.  There is even one out now with Stan as Michonne leading “pets”’of Venom Spiderman and Daredevil.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F132867236192

The worst of all is Stan zombie-fied with a Signature on a blank then art done around it

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283479663610

Thanks, Tom! You and I may be in the minority on this feeling but we're all human beings and should be treated with respect and not just used to make a profit like Stan clearly was in his golden years. :(

3 minutes ago, Sensei Ryan said:

Thanks, Tom! You and I may be in the minority on this feeling but we're all human beings and should be treated with respect and not just used to make a profit like Stan clearly was in his golden years. :(

I dunno, since only 3 of us have commented, and i'm the only one with a dissenting opinion, perhaps i'm in the minority.  ;)

Are the LCS owners themselves leaking this news? If it doesn’t go out until tomorrow who else would have it to leak it?

I know my LCS puts new issues on the shelf tomorrow but doesn’t sell them till Wednesday...

3 minutes ago, Sensei Ryan said:

Are the LCS owners themselves leaking this news? If it doesn’t go out until tomorrow who else would have it to leak it?

I know my LCS puts new issues on the shelf tomorrow but doesn’t sell them till Wednesday...

Kirkman posted about it today that most likely it would start leaking.

8 minutes ago, Sensei Ryan said:

With the last big news a couple issues ago the information came out the Sunday before.

Having read the entire series, I will say this: Kirkman simply didn't know what else to write. It betrays his weakness as a writer. Yes, yes, "go out on a high note!" and "always leave them wanting more!", but the fact is, there were, and are, a ton of stories which could be told.

Maybe he's tired. Fine. But there was so much more to this story that we won't get (?), and it wasn't even remotely close to being done yet. 

All great stories...even epics...have a beginning, a middle, and an end. 

We're going to end in the middle.

And that's really a shame.

Guess he thought it was best to bury his own, ran out of ideas, must not have been fun anymore. Too bad he couldn't have passed things along to another writer.

While I had an amazing time... its just very sad to see the property so mismanaged.

Spoilers

https://walkingdeadbr.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/the-walking-dead-193-robert-kirkman-carta.jpg

Edited by Rip