• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,446 posts in this topic

There was so much more that could have been done, but Kirkman just couldn't get off the human v human roundabout.

What an utter tragedy.

The best thing would be for Kirkman et al just walk away from EVERYTHING - sell up - and let someone else move this forward.

There is a long way to go, with much more to be written and seen (TV).

It just needs new eyes and ears.Kirkman became obsessed with Negan, and could not get away from a human 'uber-bad-guy'.

Hopefully the movies have a completely new team.

The Zombie apocalypse was world-wide. So should the book be.

Sell up Skybound, and let a fresh team take over.

Having said that - #1 - #48 was the best run of pretty much any book ever.

Well done Robert Kirkman, well done. (thumbsu

Obviously I really want to read 193 before jumping too in depth on this, but it just feels empty. I don’t see how they can resolve the entire series with 70 pages. Heck, I think that might just be a fitting send off for Rick. You can’t possibly tackle Rick’s death and still give any kind of meaningful resolution with Carl, Michonne, Maggie, at the bare minimum, and give us some kind of “how did this happen” answer as well.

The other thing that stands out as odd, at least to me, is that Kirkman’s story telling has been tailored to the collected edition readers. First with Lori’s death in 48 being the end of volume ___ (and sending a ton of people into the LCS for 49), and now his explanation that compendium 4 ends with 192, and thus the importance of doing something major in that issue rather than waiting for #200. Obviously they can fit 193 in there as well, but it’s odd to end the whole flipping thing at compendium 4. True dramas are usually told in 5 acts. If there’s nothing left to tell, fine, don’t belabor it, but with the introduction of Princess, and the Commonwealth, it felt like it was going somewhere, or at least reminding us that there’s a lot more out there beyond Rick and his people. With the 5 year jump after all out war, it seemed reasonable that we’d get somewhere towards answering all the long standing questions, like how did this happen, can society be rebuilt, is there a cure, and with the commonwealth I thought that it was at least setting up the ending of the Rick Grimes clan and maybe it just pivots towards macro type stories about this new world. At the very least, it felt like it was building towards something. Now it just kind of feels like it meandered and just ended.

Again, I want to read 193 before reaching any finial conclusion, but I just can’t see any kind of resolution to this that can be done in 70 pages that would feel satisfying. I hope to be proven wrong.

Edited by TSwift25

3 hours ago, Sensei Ryan said:

I'm holding out my thoughts on this until I read it tomorrow...I hate that the issue will most likely be spoiled online (besides what already has been spoiled, I mean) and will reserve judgment till then...

This is an incredibly hard wait for me, tbh...

Ditto 100%. Sad :-(

Well certainly didn't see this coming, I would have thought he would end it around #300. Seemed to me there was a lot more story to tell, though I am sure there will be a spin off series down the road. Image is really going to be hurting in sales without WD and Saga.

I haven't read Kirkmans letter or 193.  But as surprised as I am right now --- because Kirkman has always indicated that he was in for another million issues ---  Id think that given that hes a known TV and soon film creator/commodity, that his time is too split and the comic book is using up more than he wants to now.  Bigger and "better" opportunities being tossed his way.  

But thats just a guess. His letter may explain something else and Im waiting to read 193 first.  Wonder if he tells the end of the entire rebuilding of civilization saga?  If not he could be saving it for newer series by other creatives... 

Maybe hes taking ver Spider-Man!!?   in the old days dangling Superman or Spidey always enticed comics writers to jump ship!

I am still just in shock about this. Kirkman has needed to go for some time so i pray this is turned over to other creators as this property still has so much more potential. Plenty of spin offs can be made and great characters and world building to go around. 

On 6/21/2019 at 9:48 PM, Sensei Ryan said:

Hey Chang!

Thank you very much for the kind words, my friend! :)  Building the set has been a labor of love and I plan on strengthening it even further as we progress on down the road...it's been a long journey and I remember your killer sales (sadly I missed out on many the first go-round but I ended up getting some from you if I recall correctly!)

I hope all is well in Louisville!  I imagine you're getting the same incessant amounts of rain we get here lol - stay dry, my friend!  Wish me luck on staying on top as it's a hard spot to maintain for sure!  Thanks again :) 

Ryan

lol Definitely plenty of rain. I'll need to look at the registry, see how close the race is. Maybe I'll start rebuilding again hm:devil:

2 hours ago, 1p36DSA said:

I am still just in shock about this. Kirkman has needed to go for some time so i pray this is turned over to other creators as this property still has so much more potential. Plenty of spin offs can be made and great characters and world building to go around. 

He explains a lot of this in his last few pages in 193.