• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,446 posts in this topic

Had a nostalgia attack.  Lot of good conversation and fun collecting this book with the people on the boards.  It's been a cool ride.  I wonder how many fans will go back and try and complete a run now that it's all over?  I also wonder how many will dump all of their books?  The next year will be really interesting.  I don't know how many modern collectors have the attention span to sustain this series.  Five years from now, I've got to believe that collectors will look back on it as fondly as many of us are now.  

Spoiler

Does anyone know what the 4th show that RK was referring to about TWD?  I know the 3rd show is coming but was he referring to the Rick made for TV movies?  If there is a fourth series and I just don't know about it someone fill me in...

46 minutes ago, Sensei Ryan said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Does anyone know what the 4th show that RK was referring to about TWD?  I know the 3rd show is coming but was he referring to the Rick made for TV movies?  If there is a fourth series and I just don't know about it someone fill me in...

Spoiler

TWD, FTWD, New unnamed, and Talking Dead

That is my guess at least.

1 hour ago, Sensei Ryan said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Grateful Dead!

He may have also seen the writing on the wall with interest in the comic. Monthly sales have been dropping for a while now. It was only 2-3 years ago when it was a top ten book with over 90K copies sold per month. 

This is going to hit Image big time. Right now they do not have any other title that can replace it.

On 7/1/2019 at 2:17 PM, ExcludedTim said:

193. It’s 71 pages. There’s more I’d share but I’m not. I’ll let someone else ruin it for everyone. 

80 pages actually including the final fale covers and the letter.

23 hours ago, kimik said:

He may have also seen the writing on the wall with interest in the comic. Monthly sales have been dropping for a while now. It was only 2-3 years ago when it was a top ten book with over 90K copies sold per month. 

This is going to hit Image big time. Right now they do not have any other title that can replace it.

Indeed, they don't have many flagship titles as they do successful ones. Probably Spawn and Savage Dragon might be all they have left in terms of ones that still make them stand out, but Image has an interesting way of pulling an ace out of the hole in weird moments, so we'll see.

I did enjoy reading TWD comics since the show was announced (08-09, I think?), even when it did kind of drop in quality a bit later on in its run. Well done, Robert Kirkman!

19 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Couldn't pick up a copy.

Decided that the reveal and lack of a copy was the last straw for me. 

Posted my entire comic collection tonight.  Don't mean to be dramatic, just good timing. 

Patrick 

Also couldn't pick up a copy. Sold out the day of. "It's selling for $20+ online!" 

Furious.

Don't care what it's "selling for online." Wanted a SINGLE copy to read, along with the other 192. 

This is why comics as a printed artform will cease to exist within a generation, if not sooner.

20 hours ago, Beige said:

I genuinely believe there will be a new Walking Dead book in the next 12 - 18 months with a new writer and artist, set in a new place.

Possibly London or Paris, Tokyo or Sydney.

It was a worldwide event, so seems perfectly feasable that a different team of writers could construct a new universe in a different country.

Don't forget the Serbian unique covers, the South American and German Issues plus the impossible to find French #1 (well the pages anyway)

There is no reason that the end of the story in the USA should mean another series set in say England would not be just as good.

18 months would be plenty of time to flesh out storylines and character development, plus 2 artists (one artist was too little - Charlies work suffered on occasions from tight deadlines IMHO).

Start again at Day #1 in London..........

As for TV - I think I am spot on with my earlier post:

"For me, this is the key season - get this right and this over takes the original show.

With so many departures I can actually see TWD ending and any remaining cast crossing into 'Fear' - Michonne, Maggie,Rick et al leaving means the show really hangs on Carol and Daryl - both of whom are in their 50's now in real life, and really can't be expected to perform action roles much longer.

Maybe this is the plan for the 3rd show - the actors who survive this season of TWD join 'Fear'.

I'd like to see only a few - Aaron,Yumiko,Alden,Eugene and Rosita - that's a nice cross-section of characters from Pre-Alexandria (Rosita,Eugene), Alexandria (Aaron), The Saviours (Alden) and the time-jump (Yumiko) joining another Saviour (Dwight) and the only original Left (MORGAN - also in #1 of the comic).

Perfect symmetry.

TWD finishes with the 3 Andrew Lincoln led movies

A new series takes its place.

Kinda makes sense."

Anyone else think a new book in 18 months with a whole new cast would work?

There is one canon story that took place outside the US on panelsyndicate.com by Brian K Vaughn and Marcos Martin

20 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Couldn't pick up a copy.

Decided that the reveal and lack of a copy was the last straw for me. 

Posted my entire comic collection tonight.  Don't mean to be dramatic, just good timing. 

Patrick 

Part of me says it’s a major overreaction but after Knightfall and Doomsday ended up changing nothing a year later I quit comics for about 15 years

5 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

Part of me says it’s a major overreaction but after Knightfall and Doomsday ended up changing nothing a year later I quit comics for about 15 years

I hear you.  My wife totally agrees with you that I'm over-reacting.  

Just see something totally wrong with someone supporting the book for 16 years month-in and month-out (in full honesty, I started from either issue 6 or 7).  Then can't buy the last flippin issue to read how it ends.  

I don't hold the comic shop responsible.  In my case, they are pretty good about the one copy per customer issue.  

It's solely on Kirkman.  Had people known, there would have been an adequate supply.  

Okay, solely isn't 100% accurate.  It's also on the speculators for buying something they truly don't care about beyond making a buck.  

Oh well, I'm getting over.  I listed my collection.  May take a millennia to sell, but the process is started. 

Patrick