• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,446 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

The local shop out here stocks the shelves Wednesday morning before opening, then they open, then throughout the day as they have time they fil the pulls from the shelves. If they run out they run out, you never get the hot book even if it’s been on your pull for years.

Damn that sucks.  My shop pre-orders all pulls and you can up your number anytime before Diamond’s order cutoff.  I’ve never been shorted and they even put aside 2 extra shelf copies of 193 for me.  Pretty cool.

The local shop out here stocks the shelves Wednesday morning before opening, then they open, then throughout the day as they have time they fil the pulls from the shelves. If they run out they run out, you never get the hot book even if it’s been on your pull for years.

That does not seem like a sound business practice if you want to keep regular customers.

The LCS I have a pull for instituted a 1 per customer limit on 193, except I already had one in my pull so they allowed me to get a 2nd and pulled it for me.  Glad they did as the copy I read has some damage to the back corner I wouldn't have noticed otherwise.  So I have one as a keeper and one as the reader.

This shop also does not sell back issues, at all, I have no idea what they do after a book gets to a certain age.  They deal a bunch in TPBs I know that.  And they are not a fan of collectors it seems, they limit normal shelf buys to 2 copies per person.

Also sorry for getting TWD cancelled, since I literally only started the pull for it the day 192 released.......:whistle:

I understand that LCS's suffer now when it comes to moving modern books with the price increases, dwindling interests, etc. but I just think it's uncool to jack up the price on a shelf book (that isn't in a pull list) the day it's released.  I can understand the why but hearing stories of these shops charging 3-4X cover cost for a book that Image easily could have charged that amount for initially just rubs me wrong.  Not saying I wouldn't buy it at that price if I wanted it but I had an LCS I used to go to with a douchey owner who did stuff like this all the time and played on the naive-ness of younger buyers so maybe I'm just biased as a result of this kind of thing.

Do we know that the print run on 193 is low or is that just speculation, too?  I wonder if there will be a 3rd print or sketch variant or some other exclusive announced at SDCC for this issue.  IT wouldn't shock me if so...or would we have heard about that by now?

As dis-pleased as I was, this is way worse. 

Super moronic practice.  Guessing it's more of a laziness issue.  Takes the owners either prepping late the night before or early the next morning. 

Patrick

35 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

As dis-pleased as I was, this is way worse. 

Super moronic practice.  Guessing it's more of a laziness issue.  Takes the owners either prepping late the night before or early the next morning. 

Patrick

Yeah, I don’t shop there anymore. He seems to be doing fine though, even though 2-3 shops opened up in the area since he has. They all seem to have their own niche, and their own pro’s and cons. The one closest to me specializes in TPB’s. Decent selection, and they’ll order whatever they don’t have, as long as you’re willing to pay cover for it. I impulse buy in there a lot. 

4 hours ago, Sensei Ryan said:

Do we know that the print run on 193 is low or is that just speculation, too?

100% speculation. I would bet that the issue was actually significantly overprinted.

Anybody paying over cover price for the issue is insane.

I didn’t pick up the final ish until Thursday and it was sitting safely in my pull box. All other copies were sold out though. While I liked that it ended surprisingly, the consequences made for retailers and readers (you’ve been reading TWD for so long but don’t have one saved? (shrug)) and it’s just another lesson in a surprise hot issue that the casual reader or one that can’t make it to an LcS right away or doesn’t have one near them has to gripe through. Yea there’s plenty of reasons to shout BS at the whole scheme but I guess it’s just the game. I’ve missed out on books too. If it ain’t on my pull I guess I’m SOL and as the world turns, man. 

As for the issue itself, meh, predictable. Nice ending. I liked Hershel’s rant about Glenn. Wished there was more Negan. My last name IRL is Grimes so I’ll miss seeing it in a mainstream comic lol. I agree that there will probably be a spin-off in a year or so. 

Best way to assue you get the books you are wanting/reading is to pre order.  Easy as that.  I have a pull box at my LCS and also preorder books online 2 months in advance.  I have never had a problem getting a WD book.  I walked into my LCS on Wednesday, picked up my books.  They were out of 193's on the shelf by the time I made it in.  My best mate doesnt have a pull box so he missed out on 193.  I gifted him my copy (after reading it of course) to him that night.  

Edited by cbalroman

18 hours ago, Sensei Ryan said:

I understand that LCS's suffer now when it comes to moving modern books with the price increases, dwindling interests, etc. but I just think it's uncool to jack up the price on a shelf book (that isn't in a pull list) the day it's released.  I can understand the why but hearing stories of these shops charging 3-4X cover cost for a book that Image easily could have charged that amount for initially just rubs me wrong.  Not saying I wouldn't buy it at that price if I wanted it but I had an LCS I used to go to with a douchey owner who did stuff like this all the time and played on the naive-ness of younger buyers so maybe I'm just biased as a result of this kind of thing.

Do we know that the print run on 193 is low or is that just speculation, too?  I wonder if there will be a 3rd print or sketch variant or some other exclusive announced at SDCC for this issue.  IT wouldn't shock me if so...or would we have heard about that by now?

I pull the Diamond distributor numbers from ComicChron and it takes 6-8 weeks after release to get find the number shipped to stores.   They admit it isn't perfect but it's a decent gauge that I use.  Because TWD was super consistent always hitting monthly deadlines.    So 191 only went up from 42,000 prior issue to 48,000, since no one knew Rick would be shot.   They have not yet posted the numbers for 192.

14 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

100% speculation. I would bet that the issue was actually significantly overprinted.

Anybody paying over cover price for the issue is insane.

Not sure of the overprint as everyone reported their local shops being out within an hour after opening and they only print based on Diamond orders I believe.   Also they are selling for $20-$30 in eBay auctions, making me think there are collectors out there who missed out and want one.  And they immediately announced a second printing on the day of release.  So I don't think there was a lot of overprinting going on

4 hours ago, BladeTX said:

Not sure of the overprint as everyone reported their local shops being out within an hour

(shrug) There could be 500 million copies sitting in the Diamond warehouse while zero copies are available in stores. Those two things are not connected at all.

they only print based on Diamond orders I believe.

In general, I'm sure printing isn't significantly above initial orders. However, we've seen unusual overprinting multiple times for issues that the publisher knew was more significant than they were willing to reveal early to the public.

And they immediately announced a second printing on the day of release.

Upon the news breaking that 193 was the final issue, all remaining copies were scooped up by Diamond accounts. How many were there? Who knows?

After that, the second printing was announced due to the high demand for the book, because that's how it works.

Well I saw someone's comment about getting out of comics because of this issue, I thought they were overreacting until I went to pick my copies up at the LCS and they said they ran out even though I have had 2 copies of every issue on order for some time. I call Bull. I am out of comics after this and feel for those who were burned because of shady LCS. Coliseum of comics has gotten too big for their own good and mismanaged beyond repair! 

Skybound has announced their Walking Dead SDCC merch.

https://comicbook.com/thewalkingdead/2019/07/08/the-walking-dead-rick-grimes-in-memoriam-merchandise-san-diego-comic-con-skybound/?fbclid=IwAR2jiL2ez9owMlQqNnOpBRbwSXptiMp9RQ9jbdDch77WCL7XM9URfIjDviM

Spoiler

They are doing a shirt - $25, 192 9.8 double signed copies of #192 - $192, Enamel RiP Sheriff Pin - $10, some TWD themed skateboard decks, and a Jason Edmiston Eye Print Set.

image.png.a84f7c08edd69aeebdcc28de5de4717a.pngimage.png.c324824ac387203cf1e60cfdb7134889.pngimage.png.f210c136cef219c974c597f996c92a18.png

On 7/7/2019 at 9:20 AM, ____ said:

Well I saw someone's comment about getting out of comics because of this issue, I thought they were overreacting until I went to pick my copies up at the LCS and they said they ran out even though I have had 2 copies of every issue on order for some time. I call Bull. I am out of comics after this and feel for those who were burned because of shady LCS. Coliseum of comics has gotten too big for their own good and mismanaged beyond repair! 

Did you really get out of comics because of Coliseum?!?!?

And they caused you to change your cgc board name? :whatthe:

Or was it really because you were caught in your own web of lies when you started your now locked thread in Comics General? hm

@Buzzetta @Gsims718  @kav

:popcorn:

40 minutes ago, joecgcmaniac said:

Did you really get out of comics because of Coliseum?!?!?

And they caused you to change your cgc board name? :whatthe:

Or was it really because you were caught in your own web of lies when you started your now locked thread in Comics General? hm

@Buzzetta 

:popcorn:

This is why my custom title is, "Just when I thought I was going to go to bed."

After changing his user name thinking that no one would find him after that, @____ should probably just consider deleting his account and coming back under another name in a year or two.  That is ridiculous if that is true.  I have never heard such a thing.  So because one thing gets botched he is getting out of comics? 

Edited by Buzzetta

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

This is why my custom title is, "Just when I thought I was going to go to bed."

After changing his user name thinking that no one would find him after that, @____ should probably just consider deleting his account and coming back under another name in a year or two.  That is ridiculous if that is true.  I have never heard such a thing.  So because one thing gets botched he is getting out of comics?  I am sure he was a hit on the playground with all the other kids in first grade with the number of times he took his ball back and went home. 

Nah, it's not just this one thing that is making "him/her, whoever is using the account between the two of them" to get out of comics, it's because they know they are about to get run out of here on a rail since they got caught in their lies.  :D