• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,446 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, joecgcmaniac said:

Nah, it's not just this one thing that is making "him/her, whoever is using the account between the two of them" to get out of comics, it's because they know they are about to get run out of here on a rail since they got caught in their lies.  :D

You should see his Twitter. I’m surprised I didn’t get called a F’ing insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

On 7/6/2019 at 11:40 AM, cbalroman said:

Best way to assue you get the books you are wanting/reading is to pre order.  Easy as that.  I have a pull box at my LCS and also preorder books online 2 months in advance.  I have never had a problem getting a WD book.  I walked into my LCS on Wednesday, picked up my books.  They were out of 193's on the shelf by the time I made it in.  My best mate doesnt have a pull box so he missed out on 193.  I gifted him my copy (after reading it of course) to him that night.  

And if you don't have a LCS...?

Or you don't want to do business with your LCSs...?

Or you don't think you should be forced to "pre-order" something that, in the natural course of things, should be available for sale to anyone who wants them the day or two after it comes out...?

Make no mistake: idiot speculators who have no interest in the comics buy these books up to make their $10-$20, and they frustrate and infuriate the actual consumers of these things.

Can you imagine, wanting to buy something at the store, only to discover it was "sold out"...but you can easily buy it for 5 to 10 to 20 times the store price at the street vendor just outside the store...?

I completely agree with you: the BEST way to assure you get the books you want is to 1. establish a relationship with a local comic shop (assuming you have one.) 2. set up a "pull account." 3. order what you want, weeks in advance, 4. possibly have to pay in advance, and 5. make sure your local shop doesn't take your pre-orders out from under you.

No problem! 

But no one should HAVE to do that, be FORCED to do that, to do what other people do as a matter of their every day lives.

Only in collectibles...filled with addicted man-children...does this happen. This is why print comics will disappear in a generation or less. NOT because technology will have moved on...so long as humans have bodies, they'll want to touch and hold things...but because normal people got tired of the games. 

5 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

And if you don't have a LCS...?

Or you don't want to do business with your LCSs...?

Or you don't think you should be forced to "pre-order" something that, in the natural course of things, should be available for sale to anyone who wants them the day or two after it comes out...?

Make no mistake: idiot speculators who have no interest in the comics buy these books up to make their $10-$20, and they frustrate and infuriate the actual consumers of these things.

Can you imagine, wanting to buy something at the store, only to discover it was "sold out"...but you can easily buy it for 5 to 10 to 20 times the store price at the street vendor just outside the store...?

I completely agree with you: the BEST way to assure you get the books you want is to 1. establish a relationship with a local comic shop (assuming you have one.) 2. set up a "pull account." 3. order what you want, weeks in advance, 4. possibly have to pay in advance, and 5. make sure your local shop doesn't take your pre-orders out from under you.

No problem! 

But no one should HAVE to do that, be FORCED to do that, to do what other people do as a matter of their every day lives.

Only in collectibles...filled with addicted man-children...does this happen. This is why print comics will disappear in a generation or less. NOT because technology will have moved on...so long as humans have bodies, they'll want to touch and hold things...but because normal people got tired of the games. 

If you don’t have LCS or one that you want to support there’s always the large online retailers. 

As for not being forced to preorder I get it, people shouldn’t have to. But it helps shops/retailers gauge how much product to order. They get guaranteed sales and are able to order for walk in traffic. Sucks that there are times books heat up and people buy all the product and there are some that can’t get the issue right away.  If person who reads a book religiously wants to make sure they get a copy. Preorder.  Be it at a local shop or a online retailer. Typically preordering also save you money as shops provide the preordered product a discount. But you know this. 

19 minutes ago, cbalroman said:

If you don’t have LCS or one that you want to support there’s always the large online retailers. 

As for not being forced to preorder I get it, people shouldn’t have to. But it helps shops/retailers gauge how much product to order. They get guaranteed sales and are able to order for walk in traffic. Sucks that there are times books heat up and people buy all the product and there are some that can’t get the issue right away.  If person who reads a book religiously wants to make sure they get a copy. Preorder.  Be it at a local shop or a online retailer. Typically preordering also save you money as shops provide the preordered product a discount. But you know this. 

I hear the preorder argument. 

I haven't had one for nearly 20 years as I care about condition and shops either don't have the time to check or the grading acumen.  I tried the method of replacing with one on the shelf if they were in subpar shape, but it ended up being an irritant for the shop owners.  Never understood why, but that's their prerogative.  Many shops also are not cool with preordering and then dropping when we lose interest.  Which resulted in purchasing out of obligation. 

Patrick

16 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

I hear the preorder argument. 

I haven't had one for nearly 20 years as I care about condition and shops either don't have the time to check or the grading acumen.  I tried the method of replacing with one on the shelf if they were in subpar shape, but it ended up being an irritant for the shop owners.  Never understood why, but that's their prerogative.  Many shops also are not cool with preordering and then dropping when we lose interest.  Which resulted in purchasing out of obligation. 

Patrick

I get that. I like my comics in high grade as well. I do the shelf check/swap as well. For myself I’ve found that I get reader copies from my LCS. (Been shopping with them since 2001 and like to make sure they get my business. They are a small shop and only deal in comics. No gaming/cards etc.) and books I want to grade I’ll preorder a couple copies from a place like DCBS. Normally I find the books they send me can hit a 9.8. Though I spend a little more by purchasing a couple extra copies of a book I find it still cheaper than getting from guys that offer a 9.8 subscriptions  

Granted I know my method might not right for anyone else but I’ve found that it’s right for me. 

1 hour ago, cbalroman said:

I do know this, and the fact that any of that is necessary is the problem. It's why this original American artform is dying, and will soon be dead. The average comic sells enough copies to fill a small American town, in a good month. The top selling comics frequently struggle to sell numbers that would have resulted in automatic cancellation even in the horrible years of the late 70s.

But no one cares, so long as the locusts make their $10 or $20; when the artform is dead, they'll move on to the next fad, as they always do. 

34 minutes ago, Ultra snuggle said:

SDCC exclusive for walking dead #193...Anyone know if this would be a 1st print or 2nd print? I'm guessing 2nd?

https://cdnws.skybound.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/The-Walking-Dead-193_2ndPtg.jpg

It will be considered it's own print version.  It has The End at the top which was a change from 1st to 2nd print though.  1st print was "The Farm House" instead.  Also where Second Printing would be labeled is comic-con exclusive instead.

On 7/12/2019 at 11:34 PM, Ultra snuggle said:

SDCC exclusive for walking dead #193...Anyone know if this would be a 1st print or 2nd print? I'm guessing 2nd?

https://cdnws.skybound.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/The-Walking-Dead-193_2ndPtg.jpg

Likely "Convention Edition". There is already a Second Printing.

I hear that AMC will present the season 10 trailer at the show’s Comic-Con panel on Friday, July 19, in San Diego.

If you can't wait, show-runner Angela Kang has been talking to Entertainment Weekly about the new season:

On 7/17/2019 at 8:27 AM, StephenWA said:

I hear that AMC will present the season 10 trailer at the show’s Comic-Con panel on Friday, July 19, in San Diego.

If you can't wait, show-runner Angela Kang has been talking to Entertainment Weekly about the new season:

That Trailer got me excited for the Fall

for sure

2 hours ago, Crops068 said:

Saying that at least the 1st movie will be in theaters made me happy as well.  They can go a little further that way.

Edited by BladeTX
Brian was right - trailer said In Theaters

Hey I don't think it's been said here but deserves to be.  Many, many congratulations to our fellow Walking Dead collector, and proud to call a good friend, @Sensei Ryan for getting the first mentioned Top Modern set of 2019!!!  I know he has put blood, sweat, $$$ and maybe a few tears into his amazing set which I doubt can ever be equaled.   So proud of you man... series is going out with you on TOP!!!

32 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

Hey Brian, is that movie going to be in a theater?  I thought AMC was still doing it on TV, it is just being produced by Universal, so should be pretty badass.   And I hope it is full theater length, meaning 3 hours because there will be 6-8 commercials every 15 damn minutes LOL.

The teaser said Only in Theaters!

6 hours ago, BladeTX said:

Hey I don't think it's been said here but deserves to be.  Many, many congratulations to our fellow Walking Dead collector, and proud to call a good friend, @Sensei Ryan for getting the first mentioned Top Modern set of 2019!!!  I know he has put blood, sweat, $$$ and maybe a few tears into his amazing set which I doubt can ever be equaled.   So proud of you man... series is going out with you on TOP!!!

Thank you, Tom!  I appreciate the kudos and it truly is a labor of love to work on!  I'm truly grateful and humbled that CGC would consider my set and I appreciate them tremendously for it! :) 

Fear goes to mid-season break.

It was good - I liked it - by far the best 'Fear' season to date.

Absolutely primed for TWD to end, and the shows to amalgamate with 4-5 of TWD cast joining.

New series to start - I think set in the UK would be spot on.

Movies to screen - total reboot of franchise.

The UK would work - don't forget Andrew Lincoln is English and the show has a great following in UK. 

Who wouldn't like to see the end of the world in say, Manchester, from day #1 (plus half of Manchester already looks like the apocalypse has already hit so save a fortune on SFX!  :shy: )

Belated congrats to @Sensei Ryan as well!

Edited by Beige