• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,446 posts in this topic

I don't know about you guys but after today's skybound livestream I feel so disappointed.

Not only the "mysterious" Negan Lives red foil cover will only be available in skybound mystery box, with no information whatsoever on the chances of getting one (most likely because they are close to 0), which is something that in some countries would be illegal not to disclose, but the new "Walking Dead Deluxe" is an obvious cash grab: 2 issues per month, 5 different covers for the first issue (and several variants for each issue afterwards), for $4 a issue, and no paperback edition for the time being.

I feel like they're just trying to milk collectors as much as possible, so I'm done collecting Walking Dead. I've always collected out of passion for the series, but after several cash grabs now I feel it's too much.

Luckily prices will probably go up for a while and I can sell my whole collection and start collecting something else, but definitely not something from Skybound or Image Comics. I feel sad about it but I know it's the right choice for me.

17 hours ago, ZombieDealer said:

I don't know about you guys but after today's skybound livestream I feel so disappointed.

Not only the "mysterious" Negan Lives red foil cover will only be available in skybound mystery box, with no information whatsoever on the chances of getting one (most likely because they are close to 0), which is something that in some countries would be illegal not to disclose, but the new "Walking Dead Deluxe" is an obvious cash grab: 2 issues per month, 5 different covers for the first issue (and several variants for each issue afterwards), for $4 a issue, and no paperback edition for the time being.

I feel like they're just trying to milk collectors as much as possible, so I'm done collecting Walking Dead. I've always collected out of passion for the series, but after several cash grabs now I feel it's too much.

Luckily prices will probably go up for a while and I can sell my whole collection and start collecting something else, but definitely not something from Skybound or Image Comics. I feel sad about it but I know it's the right choice for me.

I didn't see them outright say the Ruby Foils were in either mystery boxes.  But of course it is a cash grab and it is also something that WD fans have been asking for for years.

I am honestly excited, I missed out on nearly the entire run of WD, and I didn't but the trades, so this will give me a chance to get them issue by issue and it be new (even though I know how it "ends").

Edited by Crops068
my error on the boxes only a Skybound (lrn2red not good for me)

I started monthlies at 166 so I was also a late starter.  I also proposed to Kirkman in Letter Hacks in 186 to do 200 in color.  Did that plant a seed?  I don't know - I was looking for one issue not an entire run.  But I have only bought 2 comics in a year - The Alien and Negan Lives.  I don't know if I'll go for variety insanity but I think it will be cool for only $4 an issue to see them in color and wow - there is going to be a s**t ton of blood splatter!

31 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

I started monthlies at 166 so I was also a late starter.  I also proposed to Kirkman in Letter Hacks in 186 to do 200 in color.  Did that plant a seed?  I don't know - I was looking for one issue not an entire run.  But I have only bought 2 comics in a year - The Alien and Negan Lives.  I don't know if I'll go for variety insanity but I think it will be cool for only $4 an issue to see them in color and wow - there is going to be a s**t ton of blood splatter!

I am not going to go for cover fever, just the normal cover "A" for each will satisfy my needs.

I mean I did start WD on my pull list when I bought 192.  So did I kill the series? lol

49 minutes ago, MrWalkingDead said:

are they reprinting EVERY issue?  

Yes. Whole run in color. 1-193. I think it’s gonna to be great. Sounds like this has been in the works for a while. Dave McCaig is doing the colors and has noted he has done over 2000 pages already. 

2 hours ago, cbalroman said:

Yes. Whole run in color. 1-193. I think it’s gonna to be great. Sounds like this has been in the works for a while. Dave McCaig is doing the colors and has noted he has done over 2000 pages already. 

Here are some of the colored pages from Delux issue #1 with info on the new "Cutting Room Floor" inclusion, and other news on the new versions - https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walking-dead-comic-book-series-stages-full-color-comeback-1303703

11 hours ago, Crops068 said:

I am not going to go for cover fever, just the normal cover "A" for each will satisfy my needs.

I mean I did start WD on my pull list when I bought 192.  So did I kill the series? lol

Yeah it is all your damn fault!!  Things were great before you showed up lol

6 hours ago, StephenWA said:

And for the first time, Charlie will be doing covers for TWD 1-6 

Well Charlie blew his Never Say Never Again with Negan Lives.  Obviously RK and CA see the value in keeping this going.  I'm interested in the bonus materials and seeing how they do color.  Wow, can you imagine Issue 33 Michonne's revenge in color?   

Stephen, you can use your local connections to get those 6 signed by Adlard for SS... cool!!!

6 hours ago, StephenWA said:

TWD comic collectors: I think we should have CGC set up two new Registry sets for us:

1. Walking Dead Delux (2020)

2. Walking Dead Delux (2020 with Variants)

In my view, these do not belong in the current "2003" sets.

I disagree.  If you are collecting the complete TWD with variants, this is clearly part of that set.   If these were complete reprints like TWD weekly and only color added, then possibly.   But Deluxe editions all have bonus materials - cutting room floor, Kirkman's handwritten notes, alternative plot lines considered.   Otherwise you have to take out #1 Special edition and #1 10th Anniversary out of the Variants set by the same logic.  I think if you want those 2 sets added that's fine but all these books are part of the full TWD superset.

Now I am wondering with this run and everything else they do, I expect TWD with Variants to eventually exceed 1,000 books!

7 hours ago, StephenWA said:

TWD comic collectors: I think we should have CGC set up two new Registry sets for us:

1. Walking Dead Delux (2020)

2. Walking Dead Delux (2020 with Variants)

In my view, these do not belong in the current "2003" sets.

Yep, completely agree. They have nothing to do with "2003" sets, they are just like the weeklys.

On 7/19/2020 at 12:12 PM, BladeTX said:

I disagree.  If you are collecting the complete TWD with variants, this is clearly part of that set.   If these were complete reprints like TWD weekly and only color added, then possibly.   But Deluxe editions all have bonus materials - cutting room floor, Kirkman's handwritten notes, alternative plot lines considered.   Otherwise you have to take out #1 Special edition and #1 10th Anniversary out of the Variants set by the same logic.  I think if you want those 2 sets added that's fine but all these books are part of the full TWD superset.

Now I am wondering with this run and everything else they do, I expect TWD with Variants to eventually exceed 1,000 books!

there should be a new set created- Walking Dead COMPLETE= all the books from the current big set w/variants- ADD the weekly's, the survivor guides, the Deluxe books, Here's Negan, and the magazine's...I too would like to see a Walking Dead set with 1000 books in it--

On 7/22/2020 at 5:03 PM, MrWalkingDead said:

there should be a new set created- Walking Dead COMPLETE= all the books from the current big set w/variants- ADD the weekly's, the survivor guides, the Deluxe books, Here's Negan, and the magazine's...I too would like to see a Walking Dead set with 1000 books in it--

That makes a whole lot of sense to me.  Keep the TWD w/ Variants, Add Deluxe and Weeklies

Edited to say... eh... rethinking this and I'm not sure.  Unless there is a precedent with other big multi-book series to pull everything together. 

Edited by BladeTX

On 7/23/2020 at 12:03 AM, MrWalkingDead said:

The problem with this is: where do we set the line to what should be included? Should books from different regions, such as Peruvian or Serbian, be included? Should we include the hardcovers as well? What about compendiums and its variant covers?

If the answer is no, it wouldn't be complete and it wouldn't make sense to include the weeklys and deluxe as well.

If the answer is yes, then it would be impossible and crazy to complete. But it makes more sense.

In my opinion original TWD should have a separate set, same for Deluxe and weeklys.

Edited by ZombieDealer

3 hours ago, ZombieDealer said:

The problem with this is: where do we set the line to what should be included? Should books from different regions, such as Peruvian or Serbian, be included? Should we include the hardcovers as well? What about compendiums and its variant covers?

If the answer is no, it wouldn't be complete and it wouldn't make sense to include the weeklys and deluxe as well.

If the answer is yes, then it would be impossible and crazy to complete. But it makes more sense.

In my opinion original TWD should have a separate set, same for Deluxe and weeklys.

100% in agreement with you on this.  We should keep things as is, only adding to the original set when something like Negan Lives comes along with original story content (or variants of original story content, etc.).  For making a set with 'everything' that's what the Custom sets are for.  There's nothing stopping anyone from making a 'Walking Dead: LITERALLY EVERYTHING' Custom set which could include foreign additions, graded trade paperbacks, those random other Image titles where Negan invaded the covers, original printings, etc.  When CGC introduced the Custom sets, this is what their purpose serves...

5 hours ago, ZombieDealer said:

OK I'm on board with this.   Makes perfect sense.