• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,446 posts in this topic

On 2/20/2021 at 2:18 PM, BladeTX said:

Did you guys see in 2014 a TWD 1 0.5 sold for $754.  Great story.  A guy bought it, read it and threw it into the back of his car.  It stayed on the floor, getting trampled for years.  He finally found it many years later cleaning out his car 😂😂😂

World's Worst Copy Of Walking Dead #1 Sells For $754 (bleedingcool.com)

Ha and the guy was from Va Beach per the article.  Funny, so it had salt water air too hitting it here and there. lol

the sticker on the front should have got the green label-  i sent in 2 wizard world books in to grade once that had tiny little hologram decals on them- i didn't even notice them- they got tagged with a green label because of a decal stuck to the label-- I've heard that you can keep a blue label on books if you are willing to take a grading hit- don't know if that's true or not-

On 2/27/2021 at 12:38 PM, MrWalkingDead said:

the sticker on the front should have got the green label-  i sent in 2 wizard world books in to grade once that had tiny little hologram decals on them- i didn't even notice them- they got tagged with a green label because of a decal stuck to the label-- I've heard that you can keep a blue label on books if you are willing to take a grading hit- don't know if that's true or not-

You can request a universal, it is a .5 though so pretty sure it took the hit into account for the price sticker.

21 hours ago, Crops068 said:

You can request a universal, it is a .5 though so pretty sure it took the hit into account for the price sticker.

I'm gonna crack one of my 9.8s, slap a price sticker from Wal Mart on there, sub it and see what happens.

14 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

I'm gonna crack one of my 9.8s, slap a price sticker from Wal Mart on there, sub it and see what happens.

I will pay for the resub, they accept monopoly moneys, right???? 😂

Hey fellow Dead-Heads-  trying to help a fellow collector out-  does anyone have copies (or have a lead on copies) of the Walking Dead Magazine-

NM+ Newsstand copy of issue #18 and a NM+ Diamond Retailer Edition copy of issue #22.-- one of the books looks like the calendar club #1 cover-  

thanks for any help-  the person in need of these thanks everyone as well-

2 hours ago, MrWalkingDead said:

Hey fellow Dead-Heads-  trying to help a fellow collector out-  does anyone have copies (or have a lead on copies) of the Walking Dead Magazine-

NM+ Newsstand copy of issue #18 and a NM+ Diamond Retailer Edition copy of issue #22.-- one of the books looks like the calendar club #1 cover-  

thanks for any help-  the person in need of these thanks everyone as well-

There was a Walking Dead Magazine? 😬😂. I started collecting TWD in 2017 and never knew there was a magazine format. Might go check it out if I can get them cheap on eBay.   When was it published?

It’s called The Walking Dead: Official Magazine. There are 2 separate sets. There is a newsstand edition set and what they called the Diamond Retailer Edition. The newsstand looks like your standard magazines with characters from the show on the covers. The Diamond Retailer Edition  has comic book cover art. Diamond Retailer Edition’s also have convention exclusives and variant covers. The first picture is an example of the newsstand edition and the second picture is an example of the Diamond Retailer Edition. These photos are also of the 2 magazines that I’m looking for. 

1DF0838C-A496-4DD2-94C0-CA7483B540E6.png

E328E9BB-08C9-46D4-B19E-658C90BF8301.png

11 hours ago, ArmyMP1972 said:

It’s called The Walking Dead: Official Magazine. There are 2 separate sets. There is a newsstand edition set and what they called the Diamond Retailer Edition. The newsstand looks like your standard magazines with characters from the show on the covers. The Diamond Retailer Edition  has comic book cover art. Diamond Retailer Edition’s also have convention exclusives and variant covers. The first picture is an example of the newsstand edition and the second picture is an example of the Diamond Retailer Edition. These photos are also of the 2 magazines that I’m looking for. 

1DF0838C-A496-4DD2-94C0-CA7483B540E6.png

E328E9BB-08C9-46D4-B19E-658C90BF8301.png

Very cool.   When was the print run for these?

Keep in mind Im fairly new to the TWD collecting and this is my only modern collecting. From an investment stand point for those of you that do modern and TWD is there any purpose to buying non keys ? So many books in the series and even more when you add in variants so too many to go after. From investment stand point just focus on first appearances (multiple copies as well) and maybe rarer limited variants ? have to pick my battles and this seems the way to go.  Cant see wasting money on non key when can put towards a book that most likely will go up . Any reasonable chance a non key issue will go up in value in lets say the next 5 years ?  Just looking for some thoughts. thanks

17 hours ago, jimjackjett said:

Keep in mind Im fairly new to the TWD collecting and this is my only modern collecting. From an investment stand point for those of you that do modern and TWD is there any purpose to buying non keys ? So many books in the series and even more when you add in variants so too many to go after. From investment stand point just focus on first appearances (multiple copies as well) and maybe rarer limited variants ? have to pick my battles and this seems the way to go.  Cant see wasting money on non key when can put towards a book that most likely will go up . Any reasonable chance a non key issue will go up in value in lets say the next 5 years ?  Just looking for some thoughts. thanks

So you are only collecting TWD for Investment?  Seems a huge gamble but OK.  Personally I love the story and the early covers.   Some thoughts... I think the first arc 1-6 will go up in value with TWD keys.  Issue 1 to 24 has all the Tony Moore covers.  Since Tony was a dedicated cover artist, many of the best covers ever are in this run. I decided to collect 1-48 which is through the Governor's arc.  This is so iconic there is a popular registry set just for 1-48.   As far as first appearances, only 19 I think will hold, possibly 27 and 53.  All the ones after 100 are certainly not investment grade.

10 hours ago, BladeTX said:

So you are only collecting TWD for Investment?  Seems a huge gamble but OK.  Personally I love the story and the early covers.   Some thoughts... I think the first arc 1-6 will go up in value with TWD keys.  Issue 1 to 24 has all the Tony Moore covers.  Since Tony was a dedicated cover artist, many of the best covers ever are in this run. I decided to collect 1-48 which is through the Governor's arc.  This is so iconic there is a popular registry set just for 1-48.   As far as first appearances, only 19 I think will hold, possibly 27 and 53.  All the ones after 100 are certainly not investment grade.

1st off good stuff !! Thanks   but yes I collect stuff I like but only if I believe it is good investment and will not hesitate to sell if and when I think the time is right. that could mean flip the next day, hold for few years, or hold for 20 years. That doesnt mean I dont like and enjoy TWD as I love it as stated earlier in this thread and I am a late bloomer to the whole scene. If I didnt think there was some investment to gain I would never buy any collectable. I buy what I like as long as I see a possible gain some point down the road. And yes it can be a gamble and thus why I was asking some thoughts. SiIlver age super heroes out of control price wise so I needed another avenue and bing watching the 10 seasons for the first time this past winter opened my eyes on TWD and I wanted a piece of it. Rather have 10 copies of the same key than 1 of each of the run.  Anyways thanks for your input.

9 hours ago, jug12x said:

Thinking of buying a Walking Dead #1, 9.8 and holding for 15 years. What do you think? Good or bad idea?

Walking Dead is not going anywhere. Walking Dead Deluxe has a 6-7 year run to reprint all 193 issues in color, the show is back for the extra episodes of season 10 (and killing it I might add) and then the final season of the main series starts this fall. WIth spin-offs in the works, etc.  There is less than 1k graded at 9.8 of #1 and an impressive 22 in 9.9.

I think it certainly has growth potential over time.

Now will it see massive jumps in price like other books (I am looking at the you Ultimate Fallout 4), that is an uncertainty, but I would not rule it out.

Edited by Crops068

18 minutes ago, jug12x said:

Thanks for the response. I figure that spinoffs are inevitable. A 9.8 is attainable for me.  A 9.9 I have never seen one, it would be nice to see one. What do you think of UF4?

Well I own a UF4 since release so I am happy it is going nuts. I should have bought a 9.8 WD #1 when they were so much cheaper.  Now I am not sure I want to pay $3k for a book at this point. (shrug)