• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,446 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, BladeTX said:

Reveal hidden contents

Just got back from my business trip so late to the party.   I thought the issue was as expected.  Of course it is somber. Their beloved leader, Father and more just died.  Not a time for fireworks and tequila shots.   And I’m OK with how it went down.  Because I knew Rick would be a Walker and either Carl or Michonne would have to put him down.  But I would love to see Carl Kill Sebastian one day.  That deserves revenge IMO.

Reveal hidden contents

Oh and props to Charlie - I thought the artwork in this issue did justice to our loss of Rick

Welcome back for one!

Spoiler

So I have seen some comments online that Kirkman is saying the main character replacement will likely be Negan.  I am really hoping this is true.  I will find out either way, I subbed for it monthly going forward and plan to start picking off back issues here and there when I can.  They are not ordering the 2nd print to sell on the shelves, but are doing special orders, so I put in for 2 of those also.

14 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

Welcome back for one!

Hide contents

So I have seen some comments online that Kirkman is saying the main character replacement will likely be Negan.  I am really hoping this is true.  I will find out either way, I subbed for it monthly going forward and plan to start picking off back issues here and there when I can.  They are not ordering the 2nd print to sell on the shelves, but are doing special orders, so I put in for 2 of those also.

Do not believe anything online about Negan coming back.  They are basing that on RK’s exit comment in Letter Hacks.  He is always throwing people off.  I would like to see Negan back, he is a great character with more story to tell but it’s anyone’s guess what the future holds.

4 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

Do not believe anything online about Negan coming back.  They are basing that on RK’s exit comment in Letter Hacks.  He is always throwing people off.  I would like to see Negan back, he is a great character with more story to tell but it’s anyone’s guess what the future holds.

They have to keep people on their toes.  Doesn't mean I will lose hope.

Eh.

Not great, not horrible.

Kirkman's "I wish I didn't have to do it" act is grating. 

The series seems to be starting to recycle ideas, both big and small.

It's time they started developing bigger ideas, now that they've spent 16 years stabilizing civilization, rather than focusing on these endless petty melodramas and forced confrontations. Not much difference between Governor Milton and Negan, when you really get right down to it, except the pantsuit.

Still the only comic series I read.

13 hours ago, BladeTX said:

I'll bet this thread was really going crazy about Issue 100 with Negan and the TV show starting up.  Not much going on here anymore.

The speculators have left the building so the thread is a walker now......

2 hours ago, BladeTX said:

Very apropos description for this thread 

This can be said for most of the threads in the modern section. Unless people can make a quick buck it isn’t talked about. 

14 minutes ago, cbalroman said:

This can be said for most of the threads in the modern section. Unless people can make a quick buck it isn’t talked about. 

Ah, ok.   So it's more than TWD that has threads dying.

I couldn’t agree more - For me , I collected the small trades first and then the single issues. I watched the first several seasons religiously and although the last episode I can legitimately remember was the arrival of Negan ... I also had a built up disdain at that point on how long a single event would take for a resolution . For example , Rick would encounter a potentially life changing event and then all of a sudden  , the next two episodes would follow Carol or Daryl exclusively ... it just got frustrating for me 

4 hours ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

I couldn’t agree more - For me , I collected the small trades first and then the single issues. I watched the first several seasons religiously and although the last episode I can legitimately remember was the arrival of Negan ... I also had a built up disdain at that point on how long a single event would take for a resolution . For example , Rick would encounter a potentially life changing event and then all of a sudden  , the next two episodes would follow Carol or Daryl exclusively ... it just got frustrating for me 

Actors are payed on a "per episode" basis. The moment they started letting that effect the writing........ The show went to :censored:. I don't know if it was Kirkman or AMC, but they weren't willing to spend the money to keep the it great. As much as I loved the comic and then the show, I found it rather heartbreaking 

Edited by lightninglad

7 hours ago, lightninglad said:

Actors are payed on a "per episode" basis. The moment they started letting that effect the writing........ The show went to :censored:. I don't know if it was Kirkman or AMC, but they weren't willing to spend the money to keep the it great. As much as I loved the comic and then the show, I found it rather heartbreaking 

Can you imagine the budget for that many talented actors.   Lauren Cohen left over money.  Denai became a Marvel Universe superstar.   I just wonder if they could have kept the storyline going better if they recast characters who were leaving.  And I agree Season 8 was painfully slow.  Luckily Season 9 had better pace.  Still not as raw as seasons 1-5.

Edited by BladeTX

On 5/1/2019 at 3:52 AM, Sensei Ryan said:

Forgot about this one in my collection...it's my favorite slabbed sketch I own.  I can't believe with the rarity of these that there isn't more talk about them but maybe that's why there isn't more talk about them lol 

Walking Dead Here's Negan Sketch Edition CGC 9.8 (Green Label).jpg

This comic is SUPER-rare - just 25 of. One showed up on eBay two years ago (just after it was released). I thought I'd get if for 1000 GBP, but I was outbid. I'd still love one now :-)

Jun-07-2019 $1,899 Cert# 1287888001 

Jun-01-2019 $1,800 Cert# 0314416002 

May-27-2019 $1,854 Cert# 0344674001 

May-26-2019 $1,875 Cert# 2032235004 

May-24-2019 $2,163 Cert# 1473140001 

May-13-2019 $1,795 Cert# 203874900

CGC 9.8 Blue Labels feeling the pressure - always a drop in hiatus between series, but I can't remember such a low volume of sales, a lower 'high sale' - 2016,7 and 2018 had $4000+ sales - 2019 is $2750 and a consistent sub $2000 run. 

Not good signs

On 6/15/2019 at 2:37 PM, StephenWA said:

This comic is SUPER-rare - just 25 of. One showed up on eBay two years ago (just after it was released). I thought I'd get if for 1000 GBP, but I was outbid. I'd still love one now :-)

These have dried up on the secondary market and did so quickly after release (kind of how the Hero Initiative covers did but there were 4 times of those available, at least).  I saw numerous of the 25 come up for sale either at auction or fixed price (and only 2 that were already graded) so maybe at most 11 came up for sale (I'm assuming the rest were kept by the finders of them).  When one pops up you should def try to go for it, whatever character it happens to be.  The only 'character' sketches I saw go up for sale were Rick, Andrea, Glenn and the rest were walkers (it would be nice to know how many characters there were in all of the sketches).  There was one up for a long time after for a ridiculous amount and it eventually sold (I'm just not sure for how much).

16 hours ago, Beige said:

Jun-07-2019 $1,899 Cert# 1287888001 

Jun-01-2019 $1,800 Cert# 0314416002 

May-27-2019 $1,854 Cert# 0344674001 

May-26-2019 $1,875 Cert# 2032235004 

May-24-2019 $2,163 Cert# 1473140001 

May-13-2019 $1,795 Cert# 203874900

CGC 9.8 Blue Labels feeling the pressure - always a drop in hiatus between series, but I can't remember such a low volume of sales, a lower 'high sale' - 2016,7 and 2018 had $4000+ sales - 2019 is $2750 and a consistent sub $2000 run. 

Not good signs

I'm going to agree and disagree.  The sale prices of #1 in CGC 9.8 Black or White label have been consistent at around the $1800-2K mark for a LONG time...a few years in fact.  So there's no new 'dip' in value for the #1 at least.  However, I have seen a gradual decline in sales of all the common graded 9.8 issues (non-keys) and in many of the other keys as well (but many of those, too, hold their value).  It seems that once a character is killed off - on the show at least - their first appearances and other key books are tied to the popularity decrease but still they maintain value that was higher prior to the blowup from the show appearances.  To me, #1 will always stay strong.  When I first started tracking #1 sales it was when they would sell for around $1,200 and I kept waiting for them to decrease back to that price range but never did and that was over 6 years ago.  That 4K sale you referenced was a 1-off and not consistent from the 'boom' of which they were averaging $2200-$3200 in price range (with the SS 9.8's being in the 3.2K range)  

Anything can happen, but I don't ever see this book dropping below - at worst - $1,500 and that would still be hard for me to believe considering the low print run and overall rarity of this issue compared to the higher printed Marvel & DC modern runs for first print, non-variant keys.