1,225 posts
16 hours ago, Beige said:

Jun-07-2019 $1,899 Cert# 1287888001 

Jun-01-2019 $1,800 Cert# 0314416002 

May-27-2019 $1,854 Cert# 0344674001 

May-26-2019 $1,875 Cert# 2032235004 

May-24-2019 $2,163 Cert# 1473140001 

May-13-2019 $1,795 Cert# 203874900

CGC 9.8 Blue Labels feeling the pressure - always a drop in hiatus between series, but I can't remember such a low volume of sales, a lower 'high sale' - 2016,7 and 2018 had $4000+ sales - 2019 is $2750 and a consistent sub $2000 run. 

Not good signs

I'm going to agree and disagree.  The sale prices of #1 in CGC 9.8 Black or White label have been consistent at around the $1800-2K mark for a LONG time...a few years in fact.  So there's no new 'dip' in value for the #1 at least.  However, I have seen a gradual decline in sales of all the common graded 9.8 issues (non-keys) and in many of the other keys as well (but many of those, too, hold their value).  It seems that once a character is killed off - on the show at least - their first appearances and other key books are tied to the popularity decrease but still they maintain value that was higher prior to the blowup from the show appearances.  To me, #1 will always stay strong.  When I first started tracking #1 sales it was when they would sell for around $1,200 and I kept waiting for them to decrease back to that price range but never did and that was over 6 years ago.  That 4K sale you referenced was a 1-off and not consistent from the 'boom' of which they were averaging $2200-$3200 in price range (with the SS 9.8's being in the 3.2K range)  

Anything can happen, but I don't ever see this book dropping below - at worst - $1,500 and that would still be hard for me to believe considering the low print run and overall rarity of this issue compared to the higher printed Marvel & DC modern runs for first print, non-variant keys.

6,669 posts
6 hours ago, Sensei Ryan said:

I'm going to agree and disagree.  The sale prices of #1 in CGC 9.8 Black or White label have been consistent at around the $1800-2K mark for a LONG time...a few years in fact.  So there's no new 'dip' in value for the #1 at least.  However, I have seen a gradual decline in sales of all the common graded 9.8 issues (non-keys) and in many of the other keys as well (but many of those, too, hold their value).  It seems that once a character is killed off - on the show at least - their first appearances and other key books are tied to the popularity decrease but still they maintain value that was higher prior to the blowup from the show appearances.  To me, #1 will always stay strong.  When I first started tracking #1 sales it was when they would sell for around $1,200 and I kept waiting for them to decrease back to that price range but never did and that was over 6 years ago.  That 4K sale you referenced was a 1-off and not consistent from the 'boom' of which they were averaging $2200-$3200 in price range (with the SS 9.8's being in the 3.2K range)  

Anything can happen, but I don't ever see this book dropping below - at worst - $1,500 and that would still be hard for me to believe considering the low print run and overall rarity of this issue compared to the higher printed Marvel & DC modern runs for first print, non-variant keys.

Very fair points.

I had 5 x 9.8 over the years - bought my first one for $60, and I remember fondly buying here in Australia #1 - #48 for $1000 AUD.

I sold off all 5 around the $1200 - $1800 mark each - and very much like you, kept an eye on the market.

I do agree that #1 will always have legs - and I also agree that your long term prognosis is spot on.

I think there will be a period of panic sales (because 2K is a lot of money to most people) if this downward trend continues - and then slow climb back which will continue long after the show/comic has finished.

I'm probably more bullish and see this as a $3000 book down the line - it's an iconic book which spawned at least 3 TV shows, 3 movies, web-series etc.

That history will be remembered later I think.

I also think #2 and #3 will keep $1000+ values later, plus possibly #19 - the amount of 1st apps in #2 (CARL, GLENN, LORI) and #3 ( CAROL,ANDREA AND DALE plus some minors Sophia,Amy etc) are astounding, and for me are as important, if not moreso than #1 (RICK+MORGAN)

#3 being a $400 book ($330 low sale this year) is absurd considering the characters that are still going in both the comic and TV show!

Totally agree about #27, #61, #92 etc being footnotes (Gov Gabe and Jesus I think from memory) and I really wouldn't want to be holding a heap of slabbed books outside those 4 above unless it's a personal collection scenario.

FYI - there have been at least 3 sales over $4000 blue 9.8

In short we both are on the same track.

I can see #1 taking a bigger hit after the show/movies finish - then a gradual climb up to $3000

I see #2 and #3 taking a very slight hit (I actually still think they are undervalued), and then climbing.

#19 I'm not sure. That could hit $150 and stay there.

As a matter of interest how much longer does the original show have in your opinion?  Fear is actually better this season (and thats saying something) than the original...

And the comic?  I genuinely am struggling to name characters in either medium outside the original band of heroes.

And that's really sad to me.

8,047 posts
15 minutes ago, Beige said:

Very fair points.

I had 5 x 9.8 over the years - bought my first one for $60, and I remember fondly buying here in Australia #1 - #48 for $1000 AUD.

I sold off all 5 around the $1200 - $1800 mark each - and very much like you, kept an eye on the market.

I do agree that #1 will always have legs - and I also agree that your long term prognosis is spot on.

I think there will be a period of panic sales (because 2K is a lot of money to most people) if this downward trend continues - and then slow climb back which will continue long after the show/comic has finished.

I'm probably more bullish and see this as a $3000 book down the line - it's an iconic book which spawned at least 3 TV shows, 3 movies, web-series etc.

That history will be remembered later I think.

I also think #2 and #3 will keep $1000+ values later, plus possibly #19 - the amount of 1st apps in #2 (CARL, GLENN, LORI) and #3 ( CAROL,ANDREA AND DALE plus some minors Sophia,Amy etc) are astounding, and for me are as important, if not moreso than #1 (RICK+MORGAN)

#3 being a $400 book ($330 low sale this year) is absurd considering the characters that are still going in both the comic and TV show!

Totally agree about #27, #61, #92 etc being footnotes (Gov Gabe and Jesus I think from memory) and I really wouldn't want to be holding a heap of slabbed books outside those 4 above unless it's a personal collection scenario.

FYI - there have been at least 3 sales over $4000 blue 9.8

In short we both are on the same track.

I can see #1 taking a bigger hit after the show/movies finish - then a gradual climb up to $3000

I see #2 and #3 taking a very slight hit (I actually still think they are undervalued), and then climbing.

#19 I'm not sure. That could hit $150 and stay there.

As a matter of interest how much longer does the original show have in your opinion?  Fear is actually better this season (and thats saying something) than the original...

And the comic?  I genuinely am struggling to name characters in either medium outside the original band of heroes.

And that's really sad to me.

What did you mean by #27 being a footnote, I'm not too familiar with that term...

#27 & #100 are the only ones I own lol

I always liked the cover of #27 :shy:

6,669 posts
46 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

What did you mean by #27 being a footnote, I'm not too familiar with that term...

#27 & #100 are the only ones I own lol

I always liked the cover of #27 :shy:

Once the Guv died the price declined as a result - once a solid $300 book is now a $200 book, you get the drift.

Just re-inforces Ryans points above really.

Nice book to own for your own collection, but if you were keeping it for $$ reasons, not such a good idea. Same as 1st Abe, Jesus etc

I agree, it's a really cool cover!

d277286ef77354550bf0ef7dd3cfdec1.jpg.d08f0a2d39b48fe5bc2a6e9339786c28.jpg

75 posts
19 hours ago, Sensei Ryan said:

These have dried up on the secondary market and did so quickly after release (kind of how the Hero Initiative covers did but there were 4 times of those available, at least).  I saw numerous of the 25 come up for sale either at auction or fixed price (and only 2 that were already graded) so maybe at most 11 came up for sale (I'm assuming the rest were kept by the finders of them).  When one pops up you should def try to go for it, whatever character it happens to be.  The only 'character' sketches I saw go up for sale were Rick, Andrea, Glenn and the rest were walkers (it would be nice to know how many characters there were in all of the sketches).  There was one up for a long time after for a ridiculous amount and it eventually sold (I'm just not sure for how much).

I know the story of the one up for ages (8000 GBP or 10000 GBP, I recall). I was sold privately within a batch of slabbed comics. Same guy I bought my 9.8SS Survivor Guides from. I will go for it if I see one for sale. If you see same, I'd be pleased for a heads up. Cheers, Stephen