The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
28 28

39,853 posts in this topic

1,636 posts
1 hour ago, GoldenGod87 said:

Looking to buy a Walking Dead CGC 9.8 First Print non signed for 2300, If Signed by Robert kirkman the 9.8 cgc signature series i'd pay 2500-2600 hell maybe less. If anyone has one there looking too sell online specifically through ebay, and can meet those numbers than i'd do business with you but the case has to be in flawless condition i think that goes without saying. Msg me if you need any details etc. Walking Dead is the only comic i read and collect i have every issue except issue 1 first print issue 2,4 and 5 btw.

Read the Rules/Guidelines and then post your request there.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/50-comics-market-want-to-buy/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,298 posts
6 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

So then do you take issue with his handlers for how they mistreated him in the waning years of his life?  Or do you take issue with the artists?  As I see it, the artists haven't done anything wrong.  Whatever profit they make from providing the service of drawing the piece is no different than any other sketch drawing they do.  Heck, one of those pieces you listed is Skottie Young, famed writer/artist who has done many MANY variants for Marvel.  I guess I'm not seeing how (in these particular cases), the timing of the sketch is relevant in any way.

(NOTE: when i refer to artists, i'm referring to the homage pieces, not the Negan ones...I'll go on the record saying I dislike those and think they're in poor taste).

1. I do take issue with his handlers...and it was clearly an issue on a national stage too as it was a headline for quite a while in the last year or so of his life (and even after).

2. The artists knew what to draw based on the request of the consigner (not Stan) - I get it, if someone asked to draw for them a weed-smoking unicorn they most likely will do it but there are certain lines I wouldn't cross, even for a buck.  So to me, they could have said no to the request.  So yes, I take issue with the artists (depending on the type of sketch).  I think Skottie Young has a cool gimmick thing with they baby characters (and I like his art) but still, I don't appreciate that take on Stan...once again, unless Stan was okay with it.  For example, let's say my dad was Stan and I saw that sketch....there wouldn't be much I could do about it, but I would feel deeply hurt that someone would use my elderly father's image to make a profit and to make him look in a way that would be hurtful to my memory of him.  Granted, he's not my dad...but once again, as I've explained numerous times - 3 to be in fact - he signed the cover BEFORE the zombie like images of him existed on the cover.  Once again, for I think the 3rd time too, I would retract my thoughts on this if I knew he was okay with it.  Since - like you said - his handlers stopped letting him sign blank covers at some point, he must not have been okay with it or they realized he was being exploited (or he did or both). I get that artists gotta make money but they can, like I said, say no to certain types of art.  To counter your point, I don't see how you can't see that the timing has everything to do with it because Stan did not know what the intent was going to be with those sketch covers.  Let me explain it better...let's say Stan signed a blank sketch and then the next person that the consigner took the book to they asked to write 'I hate Marvel' on it...see how that would be a problem if Stan never intended for his signature to represent that?  They are purposefully making it look like he approved the art but the CGC SS label tells the real story...that Stan didn't know and to me this is a low blow to the integrity of the comic sketch art industry.

I do absolutely agree with you 100% on the Negan ones...those are definitely in poor taste but also trashy and classless.  Those are blatantly disrespectful and the three I mentioned are nowhere near that level of depravity.  I don't know legally if the estate of Stan would or could do anything about it but if I had that $ and it was my dad, if I had any legal grounds, I'd go after whoever either made it happen or drew the art. 2c

(not being hateful with any of this, by the way...just stating my opinion and wanted you to know in case my tone seemed harsh)

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,720 posts
5 hours ago, GoldenGod87 said:

#19 I'm not sure. That could hit $150 and stay there, do you mean that the 9.8 cgc graded issue 19 thats going for 700-to 750 will drop to 150 eventually after the shows over?!!!

I think you might need to get GPA.

#19 hasn't broken $700 for over 3 years and is a $500 - $550 book at the moment. It has 3 sales in the 400's this year.

Michonne is leaving. The book will fall. The bottom is subjective, but yes, I'd say in 3 or 4 yrs time it will settle at a $150 ish book.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 posts
7 minutes ago, Beige said:

I think you might need to get GPA.

#19 hasn't broken $700 for over 3 years and is a $500 - $550 book at the moment. It has 3 sales in the 400's this year.

Michonne is leaving. The book will fall. The bottom is subjective, but yes, I'd say in 3 or 4 yrs time it will settle at a $150 ish book.

 

Thats disheartnening i mean ive seen at least 2 to 3 issue 19 cgc 9.8s going for 700 and 750 no lie, also what is gpa and how do i get and how much does it cost? I bought issue 19 like over 6 months ago for 625 are you saying i should definately sell my copy on ebay to try and make my money back??!! I was planning on getting it signed by her if she ever does another walker stalker fest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 posts
11 minutes ago, Beige said:

I think you might need to get GPA.

#19 hasn't broken $700 for over 3 years and is a $500 - $550 book at the moment. It has 3 sales in the 400's this year.

Michonne is leaving. The book will fall. The bottom is subjective, but yes, I'd say in 3 or 4 yrs time it will settle at a $150 ish book.

 

Thats disheartnening i mean ive seen at least 2 to 3 issue 19 cgc 9.8s going for 700 and 750 no lie, also what is gpa and how do i get and how much does it cost? I bought issue 19 like over 6 months ago for 625 are you saying i should definately sell my copy on ebay to try and make my money back??!! I was planning on getting it signed by her if she ever does another walker stalker fest. I saw these issues 19's on ebay is what i meant to say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,720 posts
12 minutes ago, GoldenGod87 said:

Thats disheartnening i mean ive seen at least 2 to 3 issue 19 cgc 9.8s going for 700 and 750 no lie, also what is gpa and how do i get and how much does it cost? I bought issue 19 like over 6 months ago for 625 are you saying i should definately sell my copy on ebay to try and make my money back??!! I was planning on getting it signed by her if she ever does another walker stalker fest. I saw these issues 19's on ebay is what i meant to say.

https://comics.gpanalysis.com

I wouldn't presume to advise you on what to do with your book.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 posts
Just now, GoldenGod87 said:

ok thanks for the link

do you have to pay for this site like to use the whole site, exactly what does it do in a nutshell? btw i only collect walking dead comics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,298 posts
47 minutes ago, GoldenGod87 said:

Thats disheartnening i mean ive seen at least 2 to 3 issue 19 cgc 9.8s going for 700 and 750 no lie, also what is gpa and how do i get and how much does it cost? I bought issue 19 like over 6 months ago for 625 are you saying i should definately sell my copy on ebay to try and make my money back??!! I was planning on getting it signed by her if she ever does another walker stalker fest. I saw these issues 19's on ebay is what i meant to say.

If you can get an SS CGC 9.8 of #19 signed by Danai Gurirra then it should definitely hold it's value.  I doubt she'll do another WSC from what I have read lately as many actors/actresses from the show are dropping that con due to not being paid (from what I read, at least).  I am sure she'll be at cons, though, as her fame with both TWD and the Avengers/Black Panther will keep her a fan favorite for the rest of her career.  Good luck and WTTB!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 posts
3 minutes ago, Sensei Ryan said:

If you can get an SS CGC 9.8 of #19 signed by Danai Gurirra then it should definitely hold it's value.  I doubt she'll do another WSC from what I have read lately as many actors/actresses from the show are dropping that con due to not being paid (from what I read, at least).  I am sure she'll be at cons, though, as her fame with both TWD and the Avengers/Black Panther will keep her a fan favorite for the rest of her career.  Good luck and WTTB!

Thanks i live in pa so unless she does a con in new york or baltimore  or philly then im screwed, is there a website you can look up where celebs from tv shows/movies you can find out when and where the con or meet and greet they'd be doing in 2019 and above? I appreciate you helping answering my questions too btw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 posts
Just now, GoldenGod87 said:

Thanks i live in pa so unless she does a con in new york or baltimore  or philly then im screwed, is there a website you can look up where celebs from tv shows/movies you can find out when and where the con or meet and greet they'd be doing in 2019 and above? I appreciate you helping answering my questions too btw.

and i have to meet andrew lincoln and robert kirkman so they can sign my issue 1 cgc 9.8 first print, i just ordered it a few hours ago 2300 plus 19 shipping

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 posts
Just now, GoldenGod87 said:

and i have to meet andrew lincoln and robert kirkman so they can sign my issue 1 cgc 9.8 first print, i just ordered it a few hours ago 2300 plus 19 shipping

if i have to i'll resell it for 2500 plus shipping before the price drops. and if don't get to get there autograph there was a cgc 9.8 signature series issue 1 signed by kirkman the guy wanted 2900 i got him down to 2600 and he backed out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
684 posts
1 hour ago, GoldenGod87 said:

do you have to pay for this site like to use the whole site, exactly what does it do in a nutshell? btw i only collect walking dead comics

Yes you have to pay for the use of the site, starts at $10 a month (if I recall correctly).  It is a price analysis tool that will show you the average sales of cgc slabbed books.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
684 posts
23 minutes ago, GoldenGod87 said:

Thanks i live in pa so unless she does a con in new york or baltimore  or philly then im screwed, is there a website you can look up where celebs from tv shows/movies you can find out when and where the con or meet and greet they'd be doing in 2019 and above? I appreciate you helping answering my questions too btw.

Check out the signature forum, they have a pretty comprehensive list of appearances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 posts
Just now, Crops068 said:

Check out the signature forum, they have a pretty comprehensive list of appearances.

 

Just now, Crops068 said:

Check out the signature forum, they have a pretty comprehensive list of appearances.

What do i type in exactly to find the right forum whats it called? I'm new to forums and threads its been awhile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
684 posts
3 minutes ago, GoldenGod87 said:

 

What do i type in exactly to find the right forum whats it called? I'm new to forums and threads its been awhile

The forum is called The Signature Room and the post is sticky’d to the top starting with APPEARANCES.

Right now no listed appearances for Danai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 posts
7 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

The forum is called The Signature Room and the post is sticky’d to the top starting with APPEARANCES.

Right now no listed appearances for Danai

None of those in that picture are walking dead members??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 posts

wait i see it but its last updated 2011 i left a msg if someone could update it since its been 8 years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
684 posts
11 minutes ago, GoldenGod87 said:

None of those in that picture are walking dead members??

That is a link to the post itself not simply a picture.  If you look at the last page there is a recent update from May 31st.

i would recommend you spend some time looking over the Newbie Forum to get some of your questions answered there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,636 posts
6 hours ago, Sensei Ryan said:

1. I do take issue with his handlers...and it was clearly an issue on a national stage too as it was a headline for quite a while in the last year or so of his life (and even after).

2. The artists knew what to draw based on the request of the consigner (not Stan) - I get it, if someone asked to draw for them a weed-smoking unicorn they most likely will do it but there are certain lines I wouldn't cross, even for a buck.  So to me, they could have said no to the request.  So yes, I take issue with the artists (depending on the type of sketch).  I think Skottie Young has a cool gimmick thing with they baby characters (and I like his art) but still, I don't appreciate that take on Stan...once again, unless Stan was okay with it.  For example, let's say my dad was Stan and I saw that sketch....there wouldn't be much I could do about it, but I would feel deeply hurt that someone would use my elderly father's image to make a profit and to make him look in a way that would be hurtful to my memory of him.  Granted, he's not my dad...but once again, as I've explained numerous times - 3 to be in fact - he signed the cover BEFORE the zombie like images of him existed on the cover.  Once again, for I think the 3rd time too, I would retract my thoughts on this if I knew he was okay with it.  Since - like you said - his handlers stopped letting him sign blank covers at some point, he must not have been okay with it or they realized he was being exploited (or he did or both). I get that artists gotta make money but they can, like I said, say no to certain types of art.  To counter your point, I don't see how you can't see that the timing has everything to do with it because Stan did not know what the intent was going to be with those sketch covers.  Let me explain it better...let's say Stan signed a blank sketch and then the next person that the consigner took the book to they asked to write 'I hate Marvel' on it...see how that would be a problem if Stan never intended for his signature to represent that?  They are purposefully making it look like he approved the art but the CGC SS label tells the real story...that Stan didn't know and to me this is a low blow to the integrity of the comic sketch art industry.

I do absolutely agree with you 100% on the Negan ones...those are definitely in poor taste but also trashy and classless.  Those are blatantly disrespectful and the three I mentioned are nowhere near that level of depravity.  I don't know legally if the estate of Stan would or could do anything about it but if I had that $ and it was my dad, if I had any legal grounds, I'd go after whoever either made it happen or drew the art. 2c

(not being hateful with any of this, by the way...just stating my opinion and wanted you to know in case my tone seemed harsh)

I don't think anyone's changing your stance on this, but I think it's fair to say you're probably in the minority on this one.  Had someone gone ahead and gotten Stan's sig and then written "I hate Marvel" over it, I'm pretty sure that would have been grounds for his handlers ceasing the signing of blank covers, much like with what happened after the Negan covers came to light.  You say Stan is being exploited and that other artists are profiting off of it.  First off, I have to wonder if you realize how little artists make.  The work they get is inconsistent, and from what I've seen on social media, the pay doesn't sound like it's all that great unless your name happens to be Jim Lee, J Scott Campbell, Artgerm, or some other big time artist.  That's why a lot of smaller artists have commission lists, because they have the time and they need the money.  Secondly, if you're upset about artists profiting, then you should be upset about commissioned pieces in general.  The artists don't own the copyrights to any of the characters and thus have no legal right to draw and/or profit from the artwork.  To me, these pieces are labors of love and respect.  If Skottie Young drew a baby Stan Lee piece, would it be any different?  Or is it disrespectful because it portrays Stan as a big baby?  I think you're hung up on the fact that he's gone and that these images happen to portray him as a zombie.  Is this a feeling you've carried the last 5 years (or however long when the first commission was done)?  If you're consistent about it, that's great.  But if this is something that has only been an issue the last year, then I have to wonder why now?  What changed?  I mean, you're free to have an opinion and it's great to have a respectful discourse, I'm just going to have to politely disagree with you on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
28 28