• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,446 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Crops068 said:

I have seen a few posts on FB collectors where they have said they got em for cover price even.  So the price spread is definitely going to be out there.

I wish you could have gotten them.

Yeah chatted with a guy in the UK whose friend got them for cover.  It was a small shop and they had no idea what they had - he just bought them right off the shelf.  Lucky .

2 hours ago, StephenWA said:

I bought my three Negan Lives covers from eBay, and the first one (Silver cover) arrived in the mail today. It presents beautifully.

I'm waiting for a Red logo regular one to arrive so I can read the "Negan News"...

I really enjoyed it.  And with the recommendation of @BladeTX I reread 174 before reading Lives.  I would recommend the same.

1 hour ago, cbalroman said:

Really enjoyed Negan Lives. My shop had sold the Silver and Gold Foils before I was able to make it to the store so wasn’t able to get them. 

I would put a strong wager that your shop posted them onto eBay.  There were 60 Gold Foil posts up before they even went on sale to the public.  Shop owners me off.

1 hour ago, BladeTX said:

I would put a strong wager that your shop posted them onto eBay.  There were 60 Gold Foil posts up before they even went on sale to the public.  Shop owners me off.

It’s possible they did but I’m okay with it. They are a very small shop and typically dont do much eBay business at all. I do hope they made good money on them as those profits just help the store. They’ve always treated me right since I opened a pull box with them back in 2001. So if they made out selling on eBay good on them. 

5 minutes ago, cbalroman said:

It’s possible they did but I’m okay with it. They are a very small shop and typically dont do much eBay business at all. I do hope they made good money on them as those profits just help the store. They’ve always treated me right since I opened a pull box with them back in 2001. So if they made out selling on eBay good on them. 

Fair point.  I have only been back collecting for a few years and this was the first time I have seen limited items go through my shop.  They all knew me as their die hard #1 TWD fan and were great to me with extras and such.  But they wanted $300 for the Gold (was selling on eBay for $150-$200) and $100 for the Silver - just outrageous prices and I think trying to get some fan to fall for it.

So yes, LCS have been hurting due to the pandemic like a lot of small businesses so I see how going for a quick profit is good for them.  And I guess they will be suspicious selling below market that people are going to flip it.  @Sensei Ryan passed on the Gold and Silver at his local shop.  The guy who bought the Gold flipped it to eBay from his car at a 50% price uplift.  So yeah, no easy answer here IMO.

38 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

Fair point.  I have only been back collecting for a few years and this was the first time I have seen limited items go through my shop.  They all knew me as their die hard #1 TWD fan and were great to me with extras and such.  But they wanted $300 for the Gold (was selling on eBay for $150-$200) and $100 for the Silver - just outrageous prices and I think trying to get some fan to fall for it.

So yes, LCS have been hurting due to the pandemic like a lot of small businesses so I see how going for a quick profit is good for them.  And I guess they will be suspicious selling below market that people are going to flip it.  @Sensei Ryan passed on the Gold and Silver at his local shop.  The guy who bought the Gold flipped it to eBay from his car at a 50% price uplift.  So yeah, no easy answer here IMO.

Yeah no easy answer.  I was of the mindset that the 100% profits of these limited foils needed to stay with the shops. I totally get if they wanted to sell them at a discount or even give them away if they choose. But the small shops that are hurting need all the help they can get. 

39 minutes ago, cbalroman said:

Yeah no easy answer.  I was of the mindset that the 100% profits of these limited foils needed to stay with the shops. I totally get if they wanted to sell them at a discount or even give them away if they choose. But the small shops that are hurting need all the help they can get. 

Since your first comment here, my LCS called because they did not have record of me picking up my regular Negan Lives.  I asked if they still had the (outrageously priced) Gold and Silver.  They did and were excited to tell me the prices dropped nearly in half to $50 silver and $175 gold.  I tried to make an offer but they are holding firm.   Good luck to them.  We have 5 shops in and around Austin and they are very small.  They don't have the buyer base for those pricey books.  And I think we'll see 9.8 examples of the Gold sub $200 once they hit the market and the initial buyer insanity cools off.

3 hours ago, StephenWA said:

When a TWD comic issue is "one per store" (for example the recent Negan Lives Gold Foil), how many does that mean were in the print run (i.e. how many stores are there)?

I can't see there is any way to know unless Skybound/Image report it.  You cannot even estimate from the ~150 stores that had logos printed on the 15th anniversary store variants.  I have 7 shops reasonable driving distance from me (1 hour).  Only 1 had the 15th ann store variant logo book created.  But all 7 received Gold & Silver Negan lives.  Not sure if this is true but I heard they went out to all shops that ordered Issue 193.   I've got to believe 500+ worldwide.

11 hours ago, StephenWA said:

When a TWD comic issue is "one per store" (for example the recent Negan Lives Gold Foil), how many does that mean were in the print run (i.e. how many stores are there)?

Well, I guess you could have just searched for the number of stores in Google, but the CGC message boards are close enough. ;)

A quick search showed that there are somewhere between 2400-2500 stores.

9 hours ago, BladeTX said:

I can't see there is any way to know unless Skybound/Image report it.  You cannot even estimate from the ~150 stores that had logos printed on the 15th anniversary store variants.  I have 7 shops reasonable driving distance from me (1 hour).  Only 1 had the 15th ann store variant logo book created.  But all 7 received Gold & Silver Negan lives.  Not sure if this is true but I heard they went out to all shops that ordered Issue 193.   I've got to believe 500+ worldwide.

The Gold & Silver Negan Lives variants went to all stores with a Diamond account, regardless if they ordered #193 or not.

3 hours ago, bigclutch said:

Well, I guess you could have just searched for the number of stores in Google, but the CGC message boards are close enough. ;)

A quick search showed that there are somewhere between 2400-2500 stores.

What do you know :makepoint:

10 hours ago, Awax said:

What do you know :makepoint:

What I know is there have consistently been 50-100 Golds for sale on eBay starting at pre-sales of $500, dropping to $250 when the Red foil was announced and settling lately around $150.   There are 29 up right now.  I can only conclude that this book is far more common than people think.  Is a book with 2,000 sold rare?  I don't think so.

2 hours ago, BladeTX said:

So I figured out how to pull up the old auctions / BIN sales on ComicConnect.  Damn I fell sorry for the 2 people buried in these...

TWD_1_9-8.JPG

TWD_1_9-9.JPG

Geez $20k!  That is new car money right there.

9 hours ago, Crops068 said:

Geez $20k!  That is new car money right there.

Yeah.  I know in 2013 it made mass media attention when a TWD 1 9.9 sold just a bit over $10,000.  But $20K for a modern book?  I don't see it. Insane hype.  One has not been for public sale since I've been collecting TWD from 2017 that I've seen.   So it all comes down to 2 people who want one very badly battling it out I guess.

On 7/16/2020 at 2:12 AM, BladeTX said:

So I figured out how to pull up the old auctions / BIN sales on ComicConnect.  Damn I fell sorry for the 2 people buried in these...

TWD_1_9-8.JPG

TWD_1_9-9.JPG

Ouch! Strangely, I feel more for Mr 9.8. Mr 9.9 might be hurting too, but he has a much rarer slab.

My "rule" for buying things is "But what you like". That way, whatever happens in the future market, you'll still "Like it".

2 hours ago, StephenWA said:

Ouch! Strangely, I feel more for Mr 9.8. Mr 9.9 might be hurting too, but he has a much rarer slab.

My "rule" for buying things is "But what you like". That way, whatever happens in the future market, you'll still "Like it".

Exactly!  I coin collected for 7 years.  Took my time and always paid a bit more for nicer coins - rainbow toning, top of grade (maybe even undergraded).  The gold was insane - I made 500% profit and bought a new BMW M3 for $13K invested.  But even the non-gold, I made 35% profit and that covers a 15% dealer spread.  If you buy what you really love, it is likely that the next buyer will too.  So good strategy @StephenWA  I'm collecting for fun but it would be nice after 7 years if my collection was up 50% in value :-)