• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

later tonight on eBay!

59 posts in this topic

I believe that Steve would make good if a buyer was unhappy with a raw purchase.

He made good that one time I bought his slightly used leopard thong he sold on Ebay (shrug)

It was new and not used (which was the reason I bought it :gossip: )

When you say that he made good, I hope you're not referring to when he showed up at your door wearing nothing but the matching leapard moccassins?

This is ridiculous. How many people assume they were going to win that book? Auctions get pulled all the time and the only thing unusual here is that we got an explanation.

Arguments that he said it was "serious" and quoted his earlier post ignore the part where he says why the money was needed. Very legit. I'd be ticked off if he'd bought my $15k Detective and told me to wait a couple weeks while he sells off another of his books, so he put his up as he should. When he no longer needed the money he changed his mind. No harm done. No one is out anything more than the minute or two looking at a post of a beautiful book - something we spend hours doing on this site with books that aren't even for sale.

Then pointing out concerns about an auction that ended five months ago to try to push the point is silly, especially when the seller didn't complain about not getting a large enough price and the buyer was happy with the quality. Unless you were expecting to win with a low-ball bid on the FF, I don't see any relevance.

By the way, does the three day weekend usually make everyone cranky. I am seeing more bickering than usual this weekend, especially today? (Yeah, I realize that I'm probably included in that with this post.)

p.s. Is that leopard thong used yet?

How does that saying go, "A Steve never changes his leopard spots"?

I believe that Steve would make good if a buyer was unhappy with a raw purchase.

He made good that one time I bought his slightly used leopard thong he sold on Ebay (shrug)

It was new and not used (which was the reason I bought it :gossip: )

When you say that he made good, I hope you're not referring to when he showed up at your door wearing nothing but the matching leapard moccassins?

Come to think of it the moccasins didn't even match :o

I did get hosed :frustrated:

Franci,

You are right. The seller of the Detective would have been pizzed if the buyer postponed payment till he/she sold other books to pay for it. A good reason not to bid on books you don't have the immediate means to finance.

Many, if not most, collectors and part time dealers sell in order to help finance other purchases. So how would it be if every time one of these guys listed an auction to help pay for another active auction, and then pulled the auction everytime they didn't win?

I may or may not have won the FF#1, and I am far from disapointed about not winning the book. I couldn't care less to be honest with you. I just don't agree with the methods. While far from unethical, I don't think it was right.

To me, serious has one meaning. If you want serious bidders, then have a serious auction.

Not to mention. Most of us also have a budget at any given time. I sure wouldn't be happy if I had passed on the the other books I spent money on earlier this week in order to help me place a "serious" bid on an auction that wasn't actually going to reach completion anyway.

Auctions get pulled all the time

Doesn't make it right though ...

I agree Scrooge...as someone who starts almost every listing low, I know it's aggravating when they don't go for what you would like them to go for, or if you sell something because you think you want the extra money, but that other thing falls through. However, once you make a commitment, I think it's kind of fair play to let it run.

As a bidder, or even a watcher, I find it disturbing to be watching a book and having it disappear, it makes me feel that I am not valued as a customer.

I don't buy anything I can't pay for, so I'm a little lost here...I know I don't buy mega $$ books, but there are reasons for that, I like being able to pay first. Sometimes, we have to make certain decisions in life, even though they may not be your top choice.

I stop bidding anytime I see a seller pulling auctions, I just don't want to waste my time...and it's true what McMiles said before, I've earmarked funds, crossed off other auctions because I wanted to be responsible, only to be very frustrated when the auction does not complete.

I'm sorry, Steve, I was really hesitant to comment here, I understand what you are saying, but I think it was a move that was not terribly considerate of others, almost like being a comic tease... (tsk) .

Nice ending to your auction....

read my PM....I don't list books just to end the auctions early for the heck of it :makepoint:

No, only when it's convenient for you. But I am sure you would be peeved if someone ended an auction early on a book you really wanted ...

At the end of the day, it's his book to do with as he pleases. But I do think it's a pretty thing to do (along with not accepting returns on non graded books). I doubt I would bid on any of his auctions in the future.

I see no problem with what he did. He needed the funds to buy a book he planned on winning prior to the FF1 sale, however he unexpectedly was outbidded in the last several seconds. Now it would be pointless to sell the FF1 because he no longer needs the money to pay for the book.

CC

Hey CC, you and I will have to disagree about how the sequence of events ensued and what we both feel is right or not ...

Can we all just move along? (shrug) There will be other copies up for sale. Just let him do his thing, live with the decision and buy another one.

CC

Nice ending to your auction....

read my PM....I don't list books just to end the auctions early for the heck of it :makepoint:

No, only when it's convenient for you. But I am sure you would be peeved if someone ended an auction early on a book you really wanted ...

At the end of the day, it's his book to do with as he pleases. But I do think it's a pretty thing to do (along with not accepting returns on non graded books). I doubt I would bid on any of his auctions in the future.

I see no problem with what he did. He needed the funds to buy a book he planned on winning prior to the FF1 sale, however he unexpectedly was outbidded in the last several seconds. Now it would be pointless to sell the FF1 because he no longer needs the money to pay for the book.

CC

Hey CC, you and I will have to disagree about how the sequence of events ensued and what we both feel is right or not ...

Can we all just move along? (shrug) There will be other copies up for sale. Just let him do his thing, live with the decision and buy another one.

CC

Got to agree, while SC4 has a chequred rep around here, his right to pull an auction before it's ended is entirely his own.

He can do it exactly as he likes, when he likes with his auctions before full time.

And the moaning of a few non-sensical boardies will do nothing to change the situation, the facts, or the commercial reality of the situation. No consdieration (- legal sense here), no obligation, full stop, end of story.

Nothing unethical here in the slightest, so for those trying to slip a thin wedge into this situation, please disavow yourself of that notion.

So please, those complaing, stop your whining, it's just plain annoying meh

Steve has every right to end auctions whenever he wants. And I have every right to not waste my time bidding on them. (thumbs u

Well, I am about to list a pretty nice JIM 83 ........... the auction will definitely run its course ( as will all future eBay auctions of mine, after all this happened ), so you can plan in advance not to waste your time bidding on that one as well :jokealert: ...........but seriously, if you or anyone from the Boards does happen to bid and win, I am going to offer free insured shipping as a good faith, let's move forward gesture, and as a way of giving one of these :foryou:

All eBay bidders / buyers of mine are important, and I don't want them to feel disrespected. I have worked very hard to maintain 100% positive feedback, and have 100% happy customers......and for those of you who also sell on eBay, you know who hard it is to please "all of the people, all of the time"

Thank you all who gave your input, and enlightened me as to how an early ended auction makes you feel. If I was not a member of these Boards, I would have had not known.

Steve Meyer

showcase-4