• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sketches on backing boards - advice requested

14 posts in this topic

I have a sketch book that has some great sketches. However, I can't just tear them out to frame and hang up.

I would like to start requesting sketches on backing boards. Most of my sketches are not personalized to me as I don't like having my name on the page, but, since the art is in a book I have never had any questions from the artist.

How can I make this request without the artist thinking I'm trying to resell the sketch?

Quickie con sketches are ok. But, I'm willing to pay for a little bit more. I like the idea of backing boards so that I can frame it, or, store it in mylar.

Someone suggested I put them in a 3-ring binder in clear sleeves so that artist can see it is my collection. Perhaps giving more comfort I'm not trying to sell them.

You can frame Bristol boards too. I had Tony Moore do a sweet sketch for me that's going to get professionally framed. It's the same material that artists use to do comics. Sean Phillips and Charlie Adlard even used wider boards, which was sweet.Sketches do not come out as nice on backing boards. Plus the bristol boards are very easy to take out from the pad. BTW: Regarding the name on the con sketches, some artists do it no matter what, which I personally do not mind.

One artist that I am friends with will only do quick freebies if it's in a bound sketch book. No loose tear out sheets, backing boards,etc. Even then, he will personalize the item if it's a freebie. In the past, he has done freebies where the item appeared on ebay the same day of the show. Obviously, he wasn't happy with this as he thought the person was a true fan.

Now, if you buy a sketch from him, he fully understands that you may resell it later on. In these instances, he will draw on a loose board, bristol paper, etc. He will do a more detailed pencil and ink sketch. He won't personalize a paid sketch unless the person asks.

Keep in mind, when they attend a show, they usually pay their own expenses. This includes renting a table just as a dealer would rent a booth. They also pay for for their own travel and hotel expenses, etc. They do these shows to help supplement their income. Not everyone is a special guest of honor that receives full reimbursement and appearance fees.

They love their fans but please don't get offended if they don't do freebies on loose boards. Each artist is different but I think the majority follow this rule.

Cheers!

N

Smooth or vellum? Regular or 2-ply?

Bristol Paper linky

That paper is fine. I will use a acid-free 2 ply Bristol for my more expense commissions.

Bristol holds ink and colors better.

Smooth plate finish vs kid finish rough. (Rough is better for pencil sketches.)

I have a sketch book that has some great sketches. However, I can't just tear them out to frame and hang up.

I would like to start requesting sketches on backing boards. Most of my sketches are not personalized to me as I don't like having my name on the page, but, since the art is in a book I have never had any questions from the artist.

How can I make this request without the artist thinking I'm trying to resell the sketch?

My Avatar is a sketch done on a backing board. Herb Trimpe did it for me last year at the Baltimore show. I paid for it and never once did he question me on what I was planning on doing with it.