• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RASL!!

239 posts in this topic

dudes..patience..

jeff smith does it all by himself...RASL is a quarterly, just like Bone was..we all know how sick that book ended up.

i'd rather have a well-done 32-page indy quarterly than some rushed product just to make a 'deadline'...remember how crappy it was sometimes when he was at image?

we all know how that turned out...

RASL rocks face and so does Jeff Smith :)

I love RASL, but let's compare to Echo. Both shipped their first issue in Marchish 2008. Both are completely done by their creators.

Echo is up to issue 8. RASL is at issue 3. Echo issues are 24 pages = 192 pages; vs. 3 * 32 pages = 96 pages.

Meanwhile, Terry Moore has been writing (just off the top of my head) Runaways, Spiderman Loves Mary Jane, as well as drawing covers and other books as well.

I'm not badmouthing Jeff Smith by any means. He's an amazing creator and I enjoy his work, (almost) no matter how long it takes to arrive. I'm just saying that it's not a 1:1 tradeoff of time:quality, and that each creator has their own pace. I just wish Smith's pace was a little faster. :)

did u pick one up for me for $20? :D

I saw these from Diamond for $20 this month, FYI.

got one off of DCBS :)

dudes..patience..

jeff smith does it all by himself...RASL is a quarterly, just like Bone was..we all know how sick that book ended up.

i'd rather have a well-done 32-page indy quarterly than some rushed product just to make a 'deadline'...remember how crappy it was sometimes when he was at image?

I love RASL, but let's compare to Echo. Both shipped their first issue in Marchish 2008. Both are completely done by their creators.

Echo is up to issue 8. RASL is at issue 3. Echo issues are 24 pages = 192 pages; vs. 3 * 32 pages = 96 pages.

Meanwhile, Terry Moore has been writing (just off the top of my head) Runaways, Spiderman Loves Mary Jane, as well as drawing covers and other books as well.

I'm not badmouthing Jeff Smith by any means. He's an amazing creator and I enjoy his work, (almost) no matter how long it takes to arrive. I'm just saying that it's not a 1:1 tradeoff of time:quality, and that each creator has their own pace. I just wish Smith's pace was a little faster. :)

although it takes jeff forever...i must say that EVERY issue of RASL so far has been phenomenal (that's right! all three of 'em)...

in a comic age plagued with boatloads of meaningless titles and crossovers and variant covers, it is VERY nice to pick up a book with some offbeat content...

personally, I'd rather have a well-planned out, non-rushed comic come out 4 times a year, than MOST of my favorite semi-rushed titles which come out almost every month..

just my 2cents..

RASL RULES!!

dudes..patience..

although it takes jeff forever...i must say that EVERY issue of RASL so far has been phenomenal (that's right! all three of 'em)...

in a comic age plagued with boatloads of meaningless titles and crossovers and variant covers, it is VERY nice to pick up a book with some offbeat content...

personally, I'd rather have a well-planned out, non-rushed comic come out 4 times a year, than MOST of my favorite semi-rushed titles which come out almost every month..

just my 2cents..

RASL RULES!!

I agree with you. But to support the earlier individual's comments, Echo is both regular and a great book. I look forward to it every month (and surprised that it doesn't get discussed around here). On the flip side, Moore's other work has been subpar at best. His run on Runaways is about to be my last for the title. I just don't think Runaways is his jam.

Pat

dudes..patience..

just my 2cents..

RASL RULES!!

I agree with you. But to support the earlier individual's comments, Echo is both regular and a great book. I look forward to it every month (and surprised that it doesn't get discussed around here). On the flip side, Moore's other work has been subpar at best. His run on Runaways is about to be my last for the title. I just don't think Runaways is his jam.

Pat

i definitely dig welborn's good points...moore is awesome! echo isn't exaclty my cup of tea, but i have a friend who is VERY into it..

when it comes to the books i read (rasl, invincible, goon, walking dead, project superpowers etc...) i can't really name a book that comes out that i 'cherish' more...when a new RASL comes out, i read it last...i sit down, enjoy a nice glass of wine and or beer, and take in each page one panel at a time (like i used to when i was a kid (: ).

because i loved Bone so much, i really can't wait to see what comes out of jeff smith's mind next...he is unlike anyone else in the comic world IMO...he creates his OWN deadlines....no rushed work whatsoever...he, himself, admits that he doesn't know exactly when or how RASL will end...i like that.

although invincible is my favorite book coming out right now, i can find a decent amount of faults in it...at the end of the day, i don't fully enjoy EVERY issue...some just feel rushed, like they had to make a deadline...

with each issue of RASL, we have been given HUGE amounts of information and newer pieces to the puzzle...jeff's story telling and artwork don't have me guessing plotlines/plotpoints, but instead make me half try to guess what exactly is going on, while the other half is trying to figure out where i am, if that makes sense...

oh well....i'm rambling..too many beers...to each his own, i guess...

bottom line, do i care if RASL only has 4 issues come out this year? no, not at all...if he can keep up this tension, enigmatic characters, odd ideas concerning dimension-shifting/ Tesla theories/Hookers/Titty bars/picasso paintings/ booze/bob dylan/the mysterious man in black/arizona deserts etc...

10 years from now, i'd rather be on issue 50 with a super-solid storyline, than on issue 120-something, where i no longer care what's going on...

just my 2c

sorry again for the rambling and redundancy (:

has anyone figured out why Rasl puts on that silly mask before he "drifts"?

I mean the lizard face guy doesnt use one....hey maybe thats why? If he doesnt wear a painted pie plate his face will get all distorted like a lizard ????

Dont get me wrong I love the story and Jeff Smiths art is great...its just the mask that is kinda goofy.

has anyone figured out why Rasl puts on that silly mask before he "drifts"?

I mean the lizard face guy doesnt use one....hey maybe thats why? If he doesnt wear a painted pie plate his face will get all distorted like a lizard ????

Dont get me wrong I love the story and Jeff Smiths art is great...its just the mask that is kinda goofy.

the lizard guy wears a mask when he drifts also...check pg 28 of issue #3

as far as the aztec/mayan looking pie plate face...i have no idea

How many pages will the TPB have? I can't seem to find this info anywhere and I only see three published issues.

i was in Barnes and Noble yesterday and they has Vol. 1, it's a really large format.

Yeah, I saw it for the 1st time in B&N too. Though I didn't care for the size from a storage perspective, I felt the opposite from an art/reading perspective. Nearly bought it even though I have the issues. It looks fantastic blown-up.

Pat

How many pages will the TPB have? I can't seem to find this info anywhere and I only see three published issues.

i was in Barnes and Noble yesterday and they has Vol. 1, it's a really large format.

Yeah, I saw it for the 1st time in B&N too. Though I didn't care for the size from a storage perspective, I felt the opposite from an art/reading perspective. Nearly bought it even though I have the issues. It looks fantastic blown-up.

Pat

can't wait until i get my copy from DCBS :banana:

Pat

can't wait until i get my copy from DCBS :banana:

broke down and bought a copy at the convention (d@mn my impatience)...it was too beautiful in hand to turn down..

the read is EVEN BETTER all at once in this oversized book...i believe jeff was considering releasing every issue of RASL as an oversived issue (hence the oversized RASL preview which was floating around at the SDCC after-party last year)..personally, i'm glad he went with a standard sized book..

anyway, for those of you who haven't read RASL, score the damn TPB!!

its well-worth the $, IMO (thumbs u

anyway, for those of you who haven't read RASL, score the damn TPB!!

its well-worth the $, IMO (thumbs u

I heard about RASL in March, 2008 from an interview with Jeff Smith. But I wasn't sure how much I'd like it. So I did what I always do... wait for the TPB.

Looks like it's time to read it.

:popcorn: