• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incredible Hulk #1 CGC 9.0 offwhite to white pages

58 posts in this topic

It is nice having the rookie of the best player in the history of the game IMO (respect of course to Russell,Bird,Chamberlin,Erving,Johnson).

...James...

Me? acclaim.gif

Oh, maybe you meant LeBron. sorry.gif He doesn't penetrate as well as I thought he might, but who knows, maybe he will eventually. I agree with one of the announcers...he looks more like an Oscar Robertson than a Michael Jordan. The most breathtaking player to watch in history is Jordan from 1986 to 1989...man o man, nobody's ever achieved that high an individual level in basketball, and if Sports Illustrated is at all credible in picking him as the athlete of the century, any sport.

But....nobody changed the rules because Jordan was so much better than the rest of the league - that was done for Chamberlain when the rules were changed to make dunking the ball illegal (you read that right, dunking the ball was ruled illegal!).

And...no one's come close to averaging 50 points a game (even after the invention of the 3 point shot), hell, not even 40 points a game - that was Chamberlain too: the only man to average 50 points a game for an entire season.

And...no one's come close to scoring over 100 points in one game - Chamberlain's record; no one's even scored 75+ on their best, I-need-to-score-lots-of-points-in-my-last-game-of-the-year-to-win-the-scoring-title game, where all of their teammates were feeding them the ball.

Jordan for winning his 6 titles, a true champion. Jordan the best b'ball player ever? no, that would be Chamberlain.

But....nobody changed the rules because Jordan was so much better than the rest of the league - that was done for Chamberlain when the rules were changed to make dunking the ball illegal (you read that right, dunking the ball was ruled illegal!).

And...no one's come close to averaging 50 points a game (even after the invention of the 3 point shot), hell, not even 40 points a game - that was Chamberlain too: the only man to average 50 points a game for an entire season.

And...no one's come close to scoring over 100 points in one game - Chamberlain's record; no one's even scored 75+ on their best, I-need-to-score-lots-of-points-in-my-last-game-of-the-year-to-win-the-scoring-title game, where all of their teammates were feeding them the ball.

Jordan for winning his 6 titles, a true champion. Jordan the best b'ball player ever? no, that would be Chamberlain.

yeah this much is true....but chamberlin could never beat bill russell and his celtics. chamberlin may have had the better numbers, but russell got the "W". 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gifgossip.gifforeheadslap.gifhi.gif

yeah this much is true....but chamberlin could never beat bill russell and his celtics. chamberlin may have had the better numbers, but russell got the "W". 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gifgossip.gifforeheadslap.gifhi.gif

11 championships in 13 years i believe....

It is nice having the rookie of the best player in the history of the game IMO (respect of course to Russell,Bird,Chamberlin,Erving,Johnson).

...James...

Me? acclaim.gif

Oh, maybe you meant LeBron. sorry.gif He doesn't penetrate as well as I thought he might, but who knows, maybe he will eventually. I agree with one of the announcers...he looks more like an Oscar Robertson than a Michael Jordan. The most breathtaking player to watch in history is Jordan from 1986 to 1989...man o man, nobody's ever achieved that high an individual level in basketball, and if Sports Illustrated is at all credible in picking him as the athlete of the century, any sport.

As Bill Russell so eloquently put it......Chamberlain can have all the records but I have more championship rings than I have fingers. 893applaud-thumb.gif

PSA came out first...Beckett is stricter on thier grading and people complain about the PSA holder,At least Beckett give a list of the defects on the back and how it got that grade for example

corners 9

centering 60/40

surface 9

final grade 9.5

wish CGC would do something like that but Steve Borock said it would be too expensive to do,plus it wasn't thought of before the new labels came out

My recollection could be off...

but I thought they developed the "goal tending" rule for Wilt in the NBA because he could reject every shot and they had to do something (now almost anyone can)?

and wasn't the "no dunking" rule for College only? It may have been instilled for Wilt too...don't know.

Either way, the argument for Wilt is more than valid. If he had a couple more championships... it might not be as much a topic of debate that it is. Jordan is the more ferocious competitor though. Wilt was "scoring" too much "off the court" to be as dedicated grin.gif

Supa made a great point about Russell though, as dominating as Wilt was with everyone else... Bill matched up well with him and the Celtics would win the titles.

The difference between my opinion that Jordan is the best ever and yours that Chamberlain is the best ever is almost exactly the same as the reason Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal are barely talking these days...Kobe thinks he's more skilled and Shaq thinks he's just more effective, period.

I'm a huge Chamberlain fan...I've read both of his arrogant, rambling autobiographical books...and I watch his games on ESPN Classic whenever I get a chance. However, although Michael didn't have an effect on as many rules as Chamberlain did, Jordan was more intense and far more skilled than Chamberlain. Early in his career, Jordan was a ball hog...Chamberlain was a ball hog for the majority of his career until his vanity got to him and he started passing just to prove he could do that as well as anybody. When you look back at that season where he led the league in assists, at first, you think "wow...incredible!" But when you look at how much his scoring dropped off, you can see that he consciously made an effort to not score as much, and his team actually did worse that season than it did in his subsequent seasons when he stopped trying to play point guard. Chamberlain had a massive ego...it was his greatest strength (besides his size), and unfortunately it was one of his most significant weaknesses and it held himself and his teams back. Do I disparage him for it? Absolutely not, he was such an incredible player that it's a purely academic point...but making a comparison between two players like Jordan and Chamberlain is an academic exercise so it fits here, in this discussion.

The raw, compelling thing about Jordan is that in his prime, he could literally go 1-on-5 against the best team in the NBA and you could not stop him, and it wasn't just because he's big, it was because he's more skilled with dribbling and body control than any basketball player ever has been. Chamberlain was also unstoppable, but it was because most of his opponents were 3-6 inches shorter and 30-60 pounds lighter. That's not to say Chamberlain wasn't an incredible athelete...the fact that he qualified for the Olympics as a high-jumper says a lot about him, and he was so agile that he'd be a superstar even today.

For years I used to wonder whether Jordan or Chamberlain was better...what made up my mind was hearing NBA superstar after NBA superstar voice their opinions that Jordan was the best of all time. Magic Johnson, Isaiah Thomas, Larry Bird, Bob Cousy, Oscar Robertson, John Havlicek, and Wilt's teammate and the guy on the NBA logo, Jerry West...they all pick Jordan over Chamberlain. Not to mention Sports Illustrated, who ranked Chamberlain quite a ways down from Jordan on their top 100 list. I think it was Jerry West's opinion that convinced me the most...he played with Chamberlain, and he specifically said once in an interview that he thought the world of Chamberlain and his ability, but his impact on a game and on opponents and fans just didn't compare to Jordan's.

Excellent comments all on the BBall stuff!

One thing that sticks with me about Russ:

He once said that if his Celtics had played the Knicks for the 72(?) championship vs. Willis Reed, that he would've demanded the ball every time down the court & gone right at WIllis & his bad leg & just buried him... something that Wilt didn't do.

That should give you a tip about Russ' competitive spirit. The guy was a monster competitor & he wanted to win every stinkin' time.

All these players were amazing. I've though long about Jordan's place in the pantheon of roundball & sports in general - and he was the best overall player I've ever seen on the court - offense, defense, you name it. And that's what he wanted too. I think Wilt's interests were not as... clear as Jordan's (although - anyone remember Mike's baseball years?)

Thanks for the bball memories, guys! I'm flashing back to David Thompson dunking on Bill Walton! Sweet memories!

One thing that sticks with me about Russ:

He once said that if his Celtics had played the Knicks for the 72(?) championship vs. Willis Reed, that he would've demanded the ball every time down the court & gone right at WIllis & his bad leg & just buried him... something that Wilt didn't do.

That should give you a tip about Russ' competitive spirit. The guy was a monster competitor & he wanted to win every stinkin' time.

re: wilt "the stilt" chamberlin...."no one roots for goliath" hence he didn't KILL opponets. 893whatthe.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifgossip.gif

I've though long about Jordan's place in the pantheon of roundball & sports in general - and he was the best overall player I've ever seen on the court - offense, defense, you name it. And that's what he wanted too.

Mike was just pure intense desire and skill, although the 6'6" frame and huge hands were big contributors to his success. But still, it's a lot easier to get inspired by Mike than Wilt...you can imagine yourself being like Mike, but being like Wilt (or Shaq) would have to be mostly a luck of the draw on being born incredibly big and tall.

The raw, compelling thing about Jordan is that in his prime, he could literally go 1-on-5 against the best team in the NBA and you could not stop him, and it wasn't just because he's big, it was because he's more skilled with dribbling and body control than any basketball player ever has been.

This is exactly why I think LeBron's such an exciting player... he PASSES the ball! I was FLOORED when I saw him dishing off to his teammates in the open court just to give them a boost. I can't wait to see where this kid goes...

HOLY CREPE! THE KU GAME IS ON!!! hi.gif