• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bone Appreciation Thread
11 11

1,449 posts in this topic

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dbone%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1470839&id=1470839&itemType=0#detail

This is on comiclink and I would appreciate any opinions.

It is not CGC but it is graded 9.8 and I see several flaws on the spine and the corners.

I would like to use  CBCS as they are in Canada which is where my collection is but I understand that they are not the "Gold Standard". How would you guys grade this book?

And, please, if I am going to be trolled and scolded for even mentioning CBCS on these boards do not expect a response or engagement. I do not argue with strangers on-line. It is just a stupid thing to do.

Thanks for any responses.

53 minutes ago, Greatwhite said:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dbone%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1470839&id=1470839&itemType=0#detail

It is not CGC but it is graded 9.8 and I see several flaws on the spine and the corners.

I would like to use  CBCS as they are in Canada which is where my collection is but I understand that they are not the "Gold Standard". How would you guys grade this book?

And, please, if I am going to be trolled and scolded for even mentioning CBCS on these boards do not expect a response or engagement. I do not argue with strangers on-line. It is just a stupid thing to do.

So... this 9.8 was a 9.6 with a CVA sticker only a couple months ago. I was the high bidder but I ended up nixing the purchase after it was confirmed that there were bad ripples/bends on the lower right side of the cover. The assessment was that this comic had a "bad" press that caused water damage in the form of ripples, and it is *believed* that the regression did not show up until after the comic had been slabbed and given the CVA designation. Otherwise, that would be mighty embarrassing to think a comic with such obvious damage could possibly receive the CVA designation at a 9.6. It appears that the owner sent the book back to get pressed (again) and re-graded. I was already leery of this book due to the unknown extent of what the bad press could do the the interior, and now that it has been pressed at least twice I would be even more leery to pay a 9.8 price for it. Also, it's curious how the page quality magically jumped from off-white/white to just WHITE...

bone 1 9.6 DID NOT BUY DUE TO BAD PRESS.jpg

Edited by thewritestuff

1 hour ago, thewritestuff said:

So... this 9.8 was a 9.6 with a CVA sticker only a couple months ago. I was the high bidder but I ended up nixing the purchase after it was confirmed that there were bad ripples/bends on the lower right side of the cover. The assessment was that this comic had a "bad" press that caused water damage in the form of ripples, and it is *believed* that the regression did not show up until after the comic had been slabbed and given the CVA designation. Otherwise, that would be mighty embarrassing to think a comic with such obvious damage could possibly receive the CVA designation at a 9.6. It appears that the owner sent the book back to get pressed (again) and re-graded. I was already leery of this book due to the unknown extent of what the bad press could do the the interior, and now that it has been pressed at least twice I would be even more leery to pay a 9.8 price for it. Also, it's curious how the page quality magically jumped from off-white/white to just WHITE...

bone 1 9.6 DID NOT BUY DUE TO BAD PRESS.jpg

What is the significance of CVA? Because on the 9.8 Grade it is no longer there.

Edited by Greatwhite
Additional question.

2 hours ago, Greatwhite said:

I would like to use  as they are in Canada which is where my collection is but I understand that they are not the "Gold Standard". How would you guys grade this book?

And, please, if I am going to be trolled and scolded for even mentioning on these boards do not expect a response or engagement. I do not argue with strangers on-line. It is just a stupid thing to do.

The strangers who aren't going to argue with you is the entity of CGC, not the denizens that frequent the board. It is a strict board rule that competition not be mentioned, and had absolutely nothing to do with personal opinions.

As a board member who doesn't wish someone to be moderated, I suggest you edit your post before you do become moderated.

I understand there are rules although I cannot seem to locate them to read them. I am not praising or promoting a competitor. I am asking if the grade on that book seems accurate. 
If CGC wishes to remove the post they have every right and I have no issue with that. 

However, I have posted elsewhere and seen snarky comments and I have read insults directed at other posters because every message board has trolls. I was just stating that I will not respond. 

So, back to my original post. Does that seem like a 9.8 with the couple of spine ticks that I can make out and the rounded lower, left corner?

Edited by Greatwhite
grammar

3 hours ago, Greatwhite said:

What is the significance of CVA? Because on the 9.8 Grade it is no longer there.

It’s to say it looked better than a 9.6, but either they missed the press damage or the damage didn’t show up until after (regression).

1 hour ago, Greatwhite said:

I understand there are rules although I cannot seem to locate them to read them. I am not praising or promoting a competitor. I am asking if the grade on that book seems accurate. 
If CGC wishes to remove the post they have every right and I have no issue with that. 

However, I have posted elsewhere and seen snarky comments and I have read insults directed at other posters because every message board has trolls. I was just stating that I will not respond. 

So, back to my original post. Does that seem like a 9.8 with the couple of spine ticks that I can make out and the rounded lower, left corner?

Again, considering this exact same copy was deemed a 9.6 with lesser page quality only a month or two ago, you be the judge.

1 hour ago, Greatwhite said:

There’s at least one CGC 9.8 out there that looks fairly similar. It would definitely be on the lower end of 9.8s but there’s an outside chance it could hit the same grade. It would be in my 9.6/9.4 range without having seen the back cover.

5 hours ago, Greatwhite said:

6 hours ago, brentdevil said:

Are the Disney Adventures books worth anything? The only that might be a standout is the "May the Force Be With You" story from 1994 with The Mask on the cover. I've never seen it reprinted anywhere ever, but then again comicbookedb is gone...

I actually have a few of these books as it was the first reproduction done in color. They’re probably not worth much since there’s no mention of “Bone” on any of the covers.

On 4/23/2021 at 2:36 PM, docgo said:

I actually have a few of these books as it was the first reproduction done in color. They’re probably not worth much since there’s no mention of “Bone” on any of the covers.

Have a couple of the Mask ones. If it was a Bone cover it would be some $ fosho. 

Also, I agree on Bone 5. When I slabbed a 9.8 a while back it was the only 9.8 on the census.