• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bone Appreciation Thread
11 11

1,460 posts in this topic

Nice sale on the 9.6! Just not that many 9.8 copies, and they're getting expensive. Fans probably don't want to give them up from their collections either, so reasonably priced copies will be few and far between I expect.

Wow. According to GPA this 9.6 Bone #1 sold for $2350 this month.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bone-1-Jeff-Smith-1st-Print-CGC-9-6-WHITE-pages-/291285244252?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item43d1f4195c

Looks like it is starting to float up along with all of the other Copper and Modern keys or 1st apps that are popping.

Looks to be an anomaly at the moment but, then again, not many have been up for sale recently. If there's another one close to this price in the near future, I may agree with you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bone-1-Jeff-Smith-1st-Print-CGC-9-6-WHITE-pages-/291285244252?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item43d1f4195c

Looks like it is starting to float up along with all of the other Copper and Modern keys or 1st apps that are popping.

Looks to be an anomaly at the moment but, then again, not many have been up for sale recently. If there's another one close to this price in the near future, I may agree with you.

I am thinking of putting my 9.8 up at a stupid price ($5000?) to see what happens.

I am thinking of putting my 9.8 up at a stupid price ($5000?) to see what happens.

Is that a ridiculous price for a 9.8? Last recorded sale on GPA (which I know is not the end all be all of sales and can be manipulated) was $3200 in 2008. Is this book in grade that scarce on the market?

Is that a ridiculous price for a 9.8? Last recorded sale on GPA (which I know is not the end all be all of sales and can be manipulated) was $3200 in 2008. Is this book in grade that scarce on the market?

There was a clink sale in 2009 for $4,900 - but at the time of both those sales, the CGC census was less than half what it is now. In today's market, I think a Bone #1 in CGC 9.8 is a $3,000-3,500 book ...

I pulled mine out of one of my many boxes in Jan 2013 (which was once part of a comic book bed, to the endless delight of some of you) after buying it new from my LCS. I sent it in, and got a 9.8. I can't be the only guy that still had one in a box that was a 9.8. There could be 50 more waiting to be sent in. SOOOOOOO, sell it quick for that kind of money!

There was a clink sale in 2009 for $4,900 - but at the time of both those sales, the CGC census was less than half what it is now. In today's market, I think a Bone #1 in CGC 9.8 is a $3,000-3,500 book ...

+1

I pulled mine out of one of my many boxes in Jan 2013 (which was once part of a comic book bed, to the endless delight of some of you) after buying it new from my LCS. I sent it in, and got a 9.8. I can't be the only guy that still had one in a box that was a 9.8. There could be 50 more waiting to be sent in. SOOOOOOO, sell it quick for that kind of money!

You'd be surprised - the black back cover on the Bone books soak up fingerprints like crazy, so even books that were grabbed straight from the rack and immediately bagged & boarded are most likely not 9.8s.

This book has been very pricey for a long time now - whilst it would be silly to claim the CGC census for this book in 9.8 is never going to increase, there's been no indication that there's a large stack of ungraded 9.8s out there either.

You'd be surprised - the black back cover on the Bone books soak up fingerprints like crazy, so even books that were grabbed straight from the rack and immediately bagged & boarded are most likely not 9.8s.

This book has been very pricey for a long time now - whilst it would be silly to claim the CGC census for this book in 9.8 is never going to increase, there's been no indication that there's a large stack of ungraded 9.8s out there either.

According to the census 9.6 is the most common grade given, 28 blue label copies out of the 186 recorded as graded by CGC. Could be a fingerprint or two knocked some grades down. hm

According to the census 9.6 is the most common grade given, 28 blue label copies out of the 186 recorded as graded by CGC. Could be a fingerprint or two knocked some grades down. hm

Definitely. I've owned two 9.6s and a single 9.4 that had those grades because of fingerprints - they looked 9.8 otherwise.

Trying to be objective here, as everyone knows I'm looking for a 9.8 copy right now. Having said that, do you guys feel that there is a smaller pool of buyers for a $3000 #1 of this? If a 9.8 ran in auction, do you think it would go that high?

I think it would top $3000 in an auction based on the current market conditions for keys/1st apps regardless of the age of the book.

I agree with this but I think the total would be much closer to $3k than $3.5k based on the rate of new 9.8s popping up (at least 3 newbies in the last four months). As everyone knows, I'm also in the market for one. :slapfight:

I think it would top $3000 in an auction based on the current market conditions for keys/1st apps regardless of the age of the book.

I agree with this but I think the total would be much closer to $3k than $3.5k based on the rate of new 9.8s popping up (at least 3 newbies in the last four months). As everyone knows, I'm also in the market for one. :slapfight:

Three newbies in the past four months is aggressive to say. I could have totally missed the boat, but I see only six 9.8 blue labels (am I the only who who doesnt care for green labels?)

Anyway there were 5 blue labels for as long as I could remember and this new sixth one was a recent addition. I would be shocked if a lot more 9.8s popped up. Mschmidt is COMPLETELY right when he said "there's been no indication that there's a large stack of ungraded 9.8s out there either"

This book was printed on very cheap, black paper that has shown to become very brittle, easily smudged, and handles VERY poorly when there are pressing attempts. With an original print run of around 3,000 on college paper stock back in 1991 and Jeff Smith defacing over 2000 of them himself to pass out.... we're looking at a tiny market pool to draw mint condition books.

Three newbies in the past four months is aggressive to say. I could have totally missed the boat, but I see only six 9.8 blue labels (am I the only who who doesnt care for green labels?)

Anyway there were 5 blue labels for as long as I could remember and this new sixth one was a recent addition. I would be shocked if a lot more 9.8s popped up. Mschmidt is COMPLETELY right when he said "there's been no indication that there's a large stack of ungraded 9.8s out there either"

This book was printed on very cheap, black paper that has shown to become very brittle, easily smudged, and handles VERY poorly when there are pressing attempts. With an original print run of around 3,000 on college paper stock back in 1991 and Jeff Smith defacing over 2000 of them himself to pass out.... we're looking at a tiny market pool to draw mint condition books.

The sixth one is kimik's which he has shown in this thread. DiamondDave's hasn't hit the census yet and I counted the yellow label which is currently sitting on eBay.

I know this particular book very well and I never said there were a large stack of 9.8s sitting around. All it takes is a few more examples to double the census numbers and I do believe there are a few more out there. :)

???

Are you saying that Jeff signed 2,000 of the copies prior to selling them? Because, well, that isn't true.