• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bone Appreciation Thread
11 11

1,461 posts in this topic

I think it would top $3000 in an auction based on the current market conditions for keys/1st apps regardless of the age of the book.

I agree with this but I think the total would be much closer to $3k than $3.5k based on the rate of new 9.8s popping up (at least 3 newbies in the last four months). As everyone knows, I'm also in the market for one. :slapfight:

Three newbies in the past four months is aggressive to say. I could have totally missed the boat, but I see only six 9.8 blue labels (am I the only who who doesnt care for green labels?)

Anyway there were 5 blue labels for as long as I could remember and this new sixth one was a recent addition. I would be shocked if a lot more 9.8s popped up. Mschmidt is COMPLETELY right when he said "there's been no indication that there's a large stack of ungraded 9.8s out there either"

This book was printed on very cheap, black paper that has shown to become very brittle, easily smudged, and handles VERY poorly when there are pressing attempts. With an original print run of around 3,000 on college paper stock back in 1991 and Jeff Smith defacing over 2000 of them himself to pass out.... we're looking at a tiny market pool to draw mint condition books.

???

Are you saying that Jeff signed 2,000 of the copies prior to selling them? Because, well, that isn't true.

Wow, I completely ignored that sentence.

BChin22, did you read this somewhere? (shrug)

I think it would top $3000 in an auction based on the current market conditions for keys/1st apps regardless of the age of the book.

I agree with this but I think the total would be much closer to $3k than $3.5k based on the rate of new 9.8s popping up (at least 3 newbies in the last four months). As everyone knows, I'm also in the market for one. :slapfight:

Three newbies in the past four months is aggressive to say. I could have totally missed the boat, but I see only six 9.8 blue labels (am I the only who who doesnt care for green labels?)

Anyway there were 5 blue labels for as long as I could remember and this new sixth one was a recent addition. I would be shocked if a lot more 9.8s popped up. Mschmidt is COMPLETELY right when he said "there's been no indication that there's a large stack of ungraded 9.8s out there either"

This book was printed on very cheap, black paper that has shown to become very brittle, easily smudged, and handles VERY poorly when there are pressing attempts. With an original print run of around 3,000 on college paper stock back in 1991 and Jeff Smith defacing over 2000 of them himself to pass out.... we're looking at a tiny market pool to draw mint condition books.

???

Are you saying that Jeff signed 2,000 of the copies prior to selling them? Because, well, that isn't true.

Schmidtty, I find it hard to think it's NOT true when Smith remarked on that to me himself when I was in Boston Con with him. I asked him how many #1s he's signed in his day and he told me "Probably over 2000--they're always special when I sign them."

???

Schmidtty, I find it hard to think it's NOT true when Smith remarked on that to me himself when I was in Boston Con with him. I asked him how many #1s he's signed in his day and he told me "Probably over 2000--they're always special when I sign them."

Sorry, there's just no chance 2/3s of the entire print run of this book has been signed. I'm sure that Jeff has signed a ton of them, but:

a) I wouldn't quite trust his memory to remember how many copies of a certain book he's signed over a 20 year period

b) He's probably referring to all the printings of #1 combined

I've been following the Bone #1 market for years now - if what you were saying is true, the majority of raw #1s coming up for sale would be signed. They're not.

???

Sorry, there's just no chance 2/3s of the entire print run of this book has been signed. I'm sure that Jeff has signed a ton of them, but:

a) I wouldn't quite trust his memory to remember how many copies of a certain book he's signed over a 20 year period

b) He's probably referring to all the printings of #1 combined

I've been following the Bone #1 market for years now - if what you were saying is true, the majority of raw #1s coming up for sale would be signed. They're not.

+1

Place Holder

Got word from CGC today that my copy is coming back a 9.8. I will post pics when its back from FL.

In the mail and on its way home. :cloud9:

20150225_185536_zps4voanbvc.jpg

whats a good price for one of these nowadays?

No one knows :gossip:

Warning: The link below is to a Bone #1 9.8 "voldemort"

I'm posting this as it is not identified as a Fifth Printing as it should be and didn't want a boardie to purchase it unknowingly.

As well ask if it's the norm for the other company to not correctly identify the printing number in the label? I missing something?

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%5Fadv%2Easp%3Fall%3Dy%26TITLE%3DBone%26TITLEOPT%3DALL%26ISSUE%3D%26Condition%3D%26ConditionTo%3D%26CensusRank%3D%26SearchPageQuality%3D%26Pedigree%3D%26PRICEF%3D%26PRICET%3D%26DESCRIPTION%3D%26DESCRIPTIONOPT%3DALL%26SearchRemarks%3D%26SearchCGC%3D%26EXCLUDE%3D%26CATEGORIES%3D%2D1%26WCATEGORIES%3D%2D1%26SORT%3DCATEG%26%5Fwhere%5Fforsale%3Dy%26%5Fwhere%5Fauctions%3Dy%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26where%5Fforsale%3Dy&id=1089317