• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,556 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
6 hours ago, Robot Man said:

comcinderellalove29.jpg

I like it, too.  The clothes and the car really give it that early 1950s sensibility.

.....at the risk of sounding boorish ...... that gal has been on a LOT of Baker's covers.... and always with *ahem* a different fella.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

9 hours ago, jimjum12 said:
15 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
16 hours ago, Robot Man said:

comcinderellalove29.jpg

I like it, too.  The clothes and the car really give it that early 1950s sensibility.

.....at the risk of sounding boorish ...... that gal has been on a LOT of Baker's covers.... and always with *ahem* a different fella.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Families were much larger in the '50s.  That's one of her 14 brothers. 

On 11/16/2017 at 1:02 PM, N e r V said:

So I know for a lot of people this is a classic cover so anyone want to guess the final price at auction over at ComicConnect? It’s a solid grade number but I have to admit I’m used to seeing copies from other collectors with cleaner whites and brighter colours than this copy. 

9776DD95-982D-44C3-922A-B2D64BF56C6A.jpeg.b3713a4f0cb593201b143948836e650d.jpeg

I can’t tell if that’s foxing or some general browning at the very top either. It looks to have some tanning on the cover edges inward too. 

Guesses in today’s market???

Actually it's brighter than the picture suggests ?? it's a bad picture for sure...

So....I guess CGC can't make up their mind about defects that warrant listing on the label, or it depends on who's working that day or something....Got this back about a month ago but didn't post it because I didn't want my copy to feel bad about itself being too close to the  two 7.5's that were being discussed.  The centerfold on my copy is fully detached, it's in the graders notes, and you can ask the boardie who sold it to me too!  Still love it!

apc6frontgood.jpg

Edited by szavisca

1 hour ago, szavisca said:

So....I guess CGC can't make up their mind about defects that warrant listing on the label, or it depends on who's working that day or something....Got this back about a month ago but post it because I didn't want my copy to feel bad about itself being too close to the  two 7.5's that were being discussed.  The centerfold on my copy is fully detached, it's in the graders notes, and you can ask the boardie who sold it to me too!  Still love it!

apc6frontgood.jpg

Very nice. Looks like the same carpet mine was shot on. 

I was at a small local convention this afternoon and a dealer had a cgc 2.0 Canadian edition he wanted $500.00 (Can).

I turned down 2 Canadian editions years ago, both vf, for peanuts. O well...

15 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

Very nice. Looks like the same carpet mine was shot on. 

I was at a small local convention this afternoon and a dealer had a cgc 2.0 Canadian edition he wanted $500.00 (Can).

I turned down 2 Canadian editions years ago, both vf, for peanuts. O well...

Yes... all my slabbed books will have this carpet shot now... finally found the sweet spot in my house and the angle that gives minimal glare...

2 hours ago, szavisca said:

So....I guess CGC can't make up their mind about defects that warrant listing on the label, or it depends on who's working that day or something....Got this back about a month ago but didn't post it because I didn't want my copy to feel bad about itself being too close to the  two 7.5's that were being discussed.  The centerfold on my copy is fully detached, it's in the graders notes, and you can ask the boardie who sold it to me too!  Still love it!

Yep.  They noted the centerfold was detached on my TAR43, but not the cover detached on my PR12.  AND they were in the same submission bunch.

I don't have many APCs, but that's an issue I'd like to own.  3.5 is GREAT!!!

As many of you probably saw (and won) there were a lot of Bakers ending on eBay  from Leroy. I bid on several but was in 3rd-5th on most.  Only won a low grade Pictorial Romances 21. I am sure you will see it here on the forum soon enough for $20 more than I paid for it :wink: but maybe not. I’ve been keeping the ones I love but I date around a lot.

It seemed that the prices, though definitely higher than a year ago, were at least within some level of reason.  It also appeared there was a wider variety of bidders than usual and the one book that went higher (TAR 32, as One would expect) had 4 bidders bunches up near the top, as opposed to the common two nuclear bidders outdistancing everyone.  

Hey Rick, what did the TaR 32 go for. As a Canadian I was not allowed to bid, so you have to think of that with the realised prices since my and others would have made an impact on the final price, if we were allowed to bid. 

Which we weren't.