• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,578 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:
46 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Kind of interesting that the PGX 4.0 is still (last I checked) sitting on eBay.  With the stains, probably more like a 3.0, but the underbidder of the raw copy might have grabbed it. 

The eye appeal is just not consistent with the grade. 

It would be interesting to see whether this book would sell at its current price if it were in a CGC 3.0 holder (the grade I think it would probably get) rather than a PGX 4.0 holder. 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Kind of interesting that the PGX 4.0 is still (last I checked) sitting on eBay.  With the stains, probably more like a 3.0, but the underbidder of the raw copy might have grabbed it. 

1 hour ago, Funnybooks said:

The eye appeal is just not consistent with the grade. 

27 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

It would be interesting to see whether this book would sell at its current price if it were in a CGC 3.0 holder (the grade I think it would probably get) rather than a PGX 4.0 holder. 

It might move if the seller provided clearer photos...

3 minutes ago, Yorick said:

It might move if the seller provided clearer photos...

All his slabbed books are like that.  I think he's using a scanner that doesn't handle slabs well.  You're right that he should probably switch to using photos of his slabs. 

Did someone here grab that 150 romance comic lot off ebay?  It had some TAR photo covers and a Teen-age Temptations 1 amongst the few books pictured.  I was waiting for the seller to respond to my query and now its gone.

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

Did someone here grab that 150 romance comic lot off ebay?  It had some TAR photo covers and a Teen-age Temptations 1 amongst the few books pictured.  I was waiting for the seller to respond to my query and now its gone.

I took a hard look at it, but the price was just too high for me. At least one of the Baker books looked to be pretty low grade as well.

1 hour ago, october said:

I took a hard look at it, but the price was just too high for me. At least one of the Baker books looked to be pretty low grade as well.

$20 per book did not seem outlandish, but without a full listing of the issues I didn't want to put that kind of money down.  I was curious if the majority of the books were silver/bronze...

It's been an interesting year for Matt Baker.  If I had to plot it out on a graph, prices were going up the first 6 months -- steady but not outrageous.  Then it leveled out for a while, and I saw Bakers not selling on eBay, and I was able to pick up a few decent deals.  Then suddenly prices are going through the roof, so much so I'm tempted to sell my undercopies (I only have a few, unfortunately).  Is this what you all are seeing?

1 hour ago, n2wdw said:

It's been an interesting year for Matt Baker.  If I had to plot it out on a graph, prices were going up the first 6 months -- steady but not outrageous.  Then it leveled out for a while, and I saw Bakers not selling on eBay, and I was able to pick up a few decent deals.  Then suddenly prices are going through the roof, so much so I'm tempted to sell my undercopies (I only have a few, unfortunately).  Is this what you all are seeing?

yes I agree - although this may partly be because a few of the harder to come by books changed hands for $1000 + (even over $10k for Seven Seas)  and that has pushed prices for other books up - 

so put me in line for your under copies please - I'm happy with low grade books 

3 hours ago, comicnoir said:

Tar 32 on ebay. Nice vg. Sitting at $810.00 with 9 days to go.

It is a nice copy.  If I'm reading the description correctly, the seller bought it years ago because he thinks the woman looks like Bettie Page!  I think Baker actually based her Jane Russell.  I believe somewhere in this thread, somebody posted a photo of Russell in a similar pose.

A somewhat ragged copy of Baker's little Cinderella book is also up on eBay.

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

It is a nice copy.  If I'm reading the description correctly, the seller bought it years ago because he thinks the woman looks like Bettie Page!  I think Baker actually based her Jane Russell.  I believe somewhere in this thread, somebody posted a photo of Russell in a similar pose.

I'm in Canada, so I can't see this. The 25? What's it at?

21 minutes ago, comicnoir said:
4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I'm in Canada, so I can't see this. The 25? What's it at?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEEN-AGE-ROMANCES-32-VG-ST-JOHN-MATT-BAKER-COVER-1953-Only-14-in-the-CGC-Census/132417825734?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649