• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,571 posts in this topic

For a while I thought this one was crazy tough, but there seem to be a few copies floating around.  There's a 9.4 on the census!  Apparently not the Church copy, though, because Chuck listed Edgar's copy as being only a Fair.

2018-01-10-0001_zpsmydlu8dw.JPG

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

For a while I thought this one was crazy tough, but there seem to be a few copies floating around.  There's a 9.4 on the census!  Apparently not the Church copy, though, because Chuck listed Edgar's copy as being only a Fair.

2018-01-10-0001_zpsmydlu8dw.JPG

Chuck was just a really tight grader. Same book.

Ken

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I think this is one of the more popular covers in the run.  Probably as a result, there are 11 copies on the census, including a 9.2 (I assume it's the Church copy -- which Chuck listed as a NM+).  I bought this one raw on eBay several years ago and haven't managed to upgrade it in the interim. 

2018-01-10-0001_zpsuhsfbigy.JPG

The 9.2 on the census is not the Church copy, but it is a very nice copy with cr-ow pages.

22 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

The 9.2 on the census is not the Church copy, but it is a very nice copy with cr-ow pages.

Interesting.  Apparently Edgar had a pretty good run of these, but I can't recall seeing many.  Metro had the Church copy of one issue (I'm forgetting which issue) on their site for a while at a stiff price.  Iirc, it disappeared during that mysterious episode a few years ago when they pulled all their Church copies from the site.

Another issue with few slabbed copies (highest is a 6.0) either because it's scarce (doesn't seem so in lower grades) or because it's not sufficiently desirable to bother slabbing (except by people like me!).

2018-01-10-0001_zpsfckmyd2p.JPG

On 1/6/2018 at 2:41 AM, RICK STARR said:

There is some significant rippling on the BC typical of giant sized issues. I probably should have it pressed before slabbing.

Rippling along the spine will be due to glue used to affix the cover to the interior pages.  I would stay away from pressing on these giants as you are unlikely to fix it and very likely to damage it. 2c

On 1/5/2018 at 3:04 PM, RICK STARR said:

I was lucky to start collecting most of these books 10-15 years ago. Nice copies are scarce to find these days.

You done good awesome!

9 minutes ago, RICK STARR said:

(thumbsu

That's how I feel about your White Mountain pre-heroes!!

Most of them are gone but a few more are up for sale as we speak!

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/427161-sweet-sweet-ga-including-pedigrees/