• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
42 42

13,502 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

CL 25 has huge popularity going for it, which drives prices more than scarcity. 

Oh I know! But scarcity still counts for part of it.  

17 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

I get texts from ppl out of the blue asking me to sell my copy.

No worries I won’t be texting you, I see a low grade copy in my future.

2 minutes ago, szavisca said:

Oh I know! But scarcity still counts for part of it.  

No worries I won’t be texting you, I see a low grade copy in my future.

My regret is I passed on a few copies because of certain defects. What was I thinking?

35 minutes ago, szavisca said:

Thanks, trying to get a grasp on what a fair price would be if one ever came available.  Hard to do without much in the way of public sales data...

Obviously one can infer based from prices of other Bakers it’s gonna cost dearly in any grade.  But I don’t wanna overpay too much if it’s not mad mad rare...

It's based on demand and demand. I think supply is slightly weighted when it comes to a book like CL 25. Most collectors may agree that this is the most universally appealing Baker book with the avid collector and the  casual collector in search of just one baker example.

6 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

This one was always seen as tough.

wartime romances 3.jpeg

Talk about a copy that was meant for me you... it has my your first initial written on the cover.  

As for regrets, I once bought a sweet PR 7 in about 5.0 for about $80., but stupidly decided to return it because the cf was detached.  I'm still shaking my head, and I still don't have a PR 7, in any condition.  

12 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

It's based on demand and demand. I think supply is slightly weighted when it comes to a book like CL 25. Most collectors may agree that this is the most universally appealing Baker book with the avid collector and the  casual collector in search of just one baker example.

Yep demand is the prime driver for sure... but I think extreme scarcity would raise the cost on lower grades, which I’m hunting for, more than it would on higher grades.  

Its helpful to know what the long time hunters think when figuring out what my personal max price would be.

29 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:
1 hour ago, szavisca said:

Thanks, trying to get a grasp on what a fair price would be if one ever came available.  Hard to do without much in the way of public sales data...

Obviously one can infer based from prices of other Bakers it’s gonna cost dearly in any grade.  But I don’t wanna overpay too much if it’s not mad mad rare...

I think we've speculated in the past about whether CL 15 or GCE 12 in high grade (let's say 9.2) would sell for more.  GCE 12 has more crossover appeal to non-romance GGA collectors. 

Edited by Sqeggs

6 minutes ago, szavisca said:

Yep demand is the prime driver for sure... but I think extreme scarcity would raise the cost on lower grades, which I’m hunting for, more than it would on higher grades.  

Its helpful to know what the long time hunters think when figuring out what my personal max price would be.

Absolutely agree. Good luck with your search.

4 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I think we've speculated in the past about whether CL 15 or GCE 12 in high grade (let's say 9.2) would sell for more.  GCE 12 has more crossover appeal to non-romance GGA collectors. 

Both great covers...I prefer CL 15 over CGE12.  The collage image from CL25 along with the color scheme hits all the right buttons for me. I can't argue any of these 3 books as being the  best of the best.

CL15 is more overtly sexual and may not be everyone's cup of tea as their Baker example...never-mind, I just heard what I wrote....

2 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

Both great covers...I prefer CL 15 over CGE12.  The collage image from CL25 along with the color scheme hits all the right buttons for me. I can't argue any of these 3 books as being the  best of the best.

CL15 is more overtly sexual and may not be everyone's cup of tea as their Baker example...never-mind, I just heard what I wrote....

To me, CL 25 is preferable to GCE 12, but I have a feeling at auction that it would go the other way. 

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
3 hours ago, 29dukedog said:
3 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

can anyone tell me why Cinderella love skipped from issue 15  to 25 ?

I think the title was put on hold for a while after #15.  When #25 was published, it continued the numbering of Romantic Marriage, for some reason.  :screwy:

St John did all kinds of strange stuff.  Presumably trying to save a few bucks on second class mailing deposits or something. 

A new second class mailing permit was required of a publisher launching a new title.  The sneaky way around this was to keep up the numbering of an existing title, and just claim the name of the book was being changed.  EC did it routinely.  

I can tell you I have no less than 8 people who have asked for my CL 25, should I upgrade and sell my undercopy. I have been asked about that book 3 times in the last week.

I have tried hard to pry better copies out of the hands of the lovely boardies here through cash or cash/trade combos :baiting: Just ain't happening and I cannot blame you all. 

Now, GCE 12- finally picked up a copy at a premium- I don't get as many requests about it but I think it is highly prized and apparently more scarce. I prefer CL 25 myself. 

2 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

A new second class mailing permit was required of a publisher launching a new title.  The sneaky way around this was to keep up the numbering of an existing title, and just claim the name of the book was being changed.  EC did it routinely.  

I've mentioned it before, but my favorite example is Moon Girl and the Prince becoming Moon Girl becoming Moon Girl Fights Crime becoming A Moon, a Girl, ... Romance:)

1 minute ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I can tell you I have no less than 8 people who have asked for my CL 25, should I upgrade and sell my undercopy. I have been asked about that book 3 times in the last week.

I have tried hard to pry better copies out of the hands of the lovely boardies here through cash or cash/trade combos :baiting: Just ain't happening and I cannot blame you all. 

Now, GCE 12- finally picked up a copy at a premium- I don't get as many requests about it but I think it is highly prized and apparently more scarce. I prefer CL 25 myself. 

So, you're saying your copy of CL 25 is for sale? hm

23 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I've mentioned it before, but my favorite example is Moon Girl and the Prince becoming Moon Girl becoming Moon Girl Fights Crime becoming A Moon, a Girl, ... Romance:)

... becoming Weird Fantasy, becoming Weird Science-Fantasy, and finally ending up as Incredible Science-Fiction.  

Just now, 29dukedog said:
27 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

... becoming Weird Fantasy, becoming Weird Science-Fantasy, and finally ending up as Incredible Science-Fiction.  

Right!  I had forgotten that part.  The weirdest thing is starting a romance book by changing the title of the Moon Girl series.  I'm sure Gaines had a few laughs over that one.