• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,549 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:
10 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Are these coming to Yorba Linda? :baiting:

Sorry Rick, you know me better than that... Locked up tight. I doubt I will have any Baker books at the show so move by me fast if that is your quest. Rumor has it Harley might be the person to see...

No, no, you're doing this wrong.  First, you go by Harley's booth before opening, then you invite Rick to your booth. :)

I think that strategy would be called a "reverse-Harley." hm

Just now, Sqeggs said:

No, no, you're doing this wrong.  First, you go by Harley's booth before opening, then you invite Rick to your booth. :)

I think that strategy would be called a "reverse-Harley." hm

I’m sure I will. But I usually can’t afford his prices especially on those so I will leave them for the heavy hitters. I’m a poor , cheap, box cover. Besides, I have “other targets” first and already have a couple of deals already lined up. 

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Sorry Rick, you know me better than that... Locked up tight. I doubt I will have any Baker books at the show so move by me fast if that is your quest. Rumor has it Harley might be the person to see...

Yeah, I know I know :S

Everybody should just set their bakers in a separate box under the table during the Dealer perusal period and then put them out at 9:30. :gossip:

41 minutes ago, sacentaur said:
2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Sooo with that paper loss on the spine, no way this is a CGC 8.0, right?  Maybe a 6.0, assuming no hidden problems? hm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173123231453?ul_noapp=true

Either those knuckleheads missed it or it's an inside job

Either way :facepalm:

Definitely a concern with them.  

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Sooo with that paper loss on the spine, no way this is a CGC 8.0, right?  Maybe a 6.0, assuming no hidden problems? hm

This has been up on ebay before, but I never noticed the piece out. Hard one to call, the piece is big enough not to be an 8.0 or a 7.0. 6.0 sounds about right.

27 minutes ago, comicnoir said:
4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

This has been up on ebay before, but I never noticed the piece out. Hard one to call, the piece is big enough not to be an 8.0 or a 7.0. 6.0 sounds about right.

Iirc, it was up before as a very high-priced BIN.  Looks like this time it will sell one way or another.

3 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Yeah, I know I know :S

Everybody should just set their bakers in a separate box under the table during the Dealer perusal period and then put them out at 9:30. :gossip:

If it’s any consolation, I don’t open until the public gets in. I hate going to shows where the room is picked clean before I get there. Not that it matters because I’m a “small fish” in there anyway. The dealers find me anyway.

2 hours ago, Funnybooks said:

Case and grade aside...sweet copy. Another bump to the Baker market by auctions end?

Probably not - such an obviously over-graded book from those knuckleheads is usually not seen as an accurate indicator of market values.

I don't know if people noticed that in its recent auction of a PGX FF 5 in (I think) 9.2, CLink felt obliged to add a disclaimer.  I wish I had copied it exactly, but basically it said that if it turned out there was a problem with the book, the buyer's only recourse was to complain to PGX.  :)

27 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I wish I had copied it exactly, but basically it said that if it turned out there was a problem with the book, the buyer's only recourse was to complain to PGX.  :)

Well, that speaks volumes doesn't it?

9 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

This is the exact same slab that sold on eBay in December 2015 by seller comicnut1969, who then failed to send TAR 9 and a host of other books that he had auctioned, including one that tallied to about $10,000, IIRC. The fool's PayPal email address linked to his Facebook party DJ account, totally giving him away, and I figure eBay busted him bad, since they had to refund all the sales he had made that month.

Eugene, Oregon, was listed as comicnut1969's town; this new listing shows bargainhunterstore is in Springfield, Oregon. Oregon is where the slabbing company is located. Hmmmm.

11 minutes ago, sacentaur said:
39 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I wish I had copied it exactly, but basically it said that if it turned out there was a problem with the book, the buyer's only recourse was to complain to PGX.  :)

Well, that speaks volumes doesn't it?

I believe that FF 5 was slabbed in July 2017.  Who would slab a high-grade SA semi-key with PGX at that late date, unless ....

8 minutes ago, MBFan said:
9 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

This is the exact same slab that sold on eBay in December 2015 by seller comicnut1969, who then failed to send TAR 9 and a host of other books that he had auctioned, including one that tallied to about $10,000, IIRC. The fool's PayPal email address linked to his Facebook party DJ account, totally giving him away, and I figure eBay busted him bad, since they had to refund all the sales he had made that month.

Eugene, Oregon, was listed as comicnut1969's town; this new listing shows bargainhunterstore is in Springfield, Oregon. Oregon is where the slabbing company is located. Hmmmm.

Mel, that's great info.  Thanks for passing it on. 

I'm not as negative on PGX as most here. PGX has a niche that CGC can't fill. As far as restoration detection, who can argue that PGX gets it wrong? 

I've seen key SA that are PGX sell for as much as CGC.  

As a matter of fact, I have a PGX FF#1 5.5 that when it is time to sell, will get CGC 5.5 money.

With respect to this auction, PGX 8.0 may be a CGC 7.0, judging by the upper left corner. Irregardless of that technicality, it will sell for a bundle (assuming the seller is legit).

1 hour ago, tabcom said:

I'm not as negative on PGX as most here. PGX has a niche that CGC can't fill. As far as restoration detection, who can argue that PGX gets it wrong? 

I've seen key SA that are PGX sell for as much as CGC.  

As a matter of fact, I have a PGX FF#1 5.5 that when it is time to sell, will get CGC 5.5 money.

With respect to this auction, PGX 8.0 may be a CGC 7.0, judging by the upper left corner. Irregardless of that technicality, it will sell for a bundle (assuming the seller is legit).

I think you are overlooking the paper loss along the spine.

There have been a lot of threads on the shenanigans at PGX.  Many people argue that PGX gets resto detection wrong, sometimes intentionally.

I admire your confidence about the sale price of your FF 1.

>> I think you are overlooking the paper loss along the spine.

Yeah, that is probably too big a chunk to get a CGC 7.0.

Outside the cloister of the esteem CGC Forum members, the much larger rabble is less discriminating towards PGX.

I usually underestimate these auctions, but anyway, final sale price: $3600.